Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am starting to keep track on my stats and was wondering how much vertcial gain do you tough guy/girl endurance junkies put up in a week, month and year.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well I've put in 43,000 in the last 12 days including 2 races. Not a ton, but just starting to get it going...

Was stupid enough to ride with a single speeder the other day for 10,000 in a day - it seems that i always push a much harder gear when riding with the single speeders and it hurt my knee.

Trying to get 1 million plus of vertical biking, hiking and backcountry skiing in the next year while raising money for kids cancer support and research.

·
Banned
4,137 Posts
That makes me want to start keeping track. I have a decent altimeter watch that I never use. What do you use to track your altitude? Do you track feet per minute or hour as well?

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
29Colossus said:
That makes me want to start keeping track. I have a decent altimeter watch that I never use. What do you use to track your altitude? Do you track feet per minute or hour as well?
I use the Polar HRM. Here's a weekly accumulation for the last quarter. (Some days I missed record for one reason or another.)

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just got a forerunner 205 GPS that I am still figuring out how to use. It is pretty cool. I'd like to see how it compares to a regular altimeter set-up.

Jon,

You're an ANIMAL!
Hey Ed - it was cool running into you and Tom the other day.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
That's some serious climbing you're doing man, hope you've entered the HELLRIDE. Trying to go for Mark Weir's record of a million is a big feat, but you're doing it for a great cause - Good Luck.

JB100 said:
Well I've put in 43,000 in the last 12 days including 2 races. Not a ton, but just starting to get it going...

Was stupid enough to ride with a single speeder the other day for 10,000 in a day - it seems that i always push a much harder gear when riding with the single speeders and it hurt my knee.

Trying to get 1 million plus of vertical biking, hiking and backcountry skiing in the next year while raising money for kids cancer support and research.
I was doing pretty OK at about 20,000 a month but pulled some crap in my upper back/neck so haven't done much riding in the month of June so it's dropped :(

Attachments

·
Scott in Tucson
1,331 Posts
Vert dood

I added up my GPS tracks for '06 and got 450k of gain. No wonder I'm tired.

I was rackin' up the feet through the winter (Tucson, AZ) and then the "big" races I did slowed me somewhat. While the races themselves were hefty pick-ups, I think I would have done more without the tapering and *cough* recovery.

General caveat: Depending on the device recording the elevation and the method used to determine gain, you can get wildly different numbers for the same ride.

I'm not claiming my numbers are the most accurate (Garmin 60cs / Foretrex 201, and TopoFusion software), but there are several methods out there that overestimate gain.

E.G. I've been using a Forerunner 305 and I've had to do some serious editing of the tracks to get them down to a number that is believable. On some rides I've had to more than halve the total gain. On rides where I've recorded data every second, the numbers are downright ridiculous (10k+ for a 16 mile ride, etc).

Still fun to keep track of and compare against yourself. Hard to compare against others unless the same device is used, though.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Krein or anybody - So what system/method do you think is the most accurate?

With my Forerunner 205 I've checked it against some "known" vertical gains like little cottonwood canyon and it seemed to be pretty close to right on.

I also do my commute ride and it comes in almost exactly the same each time.

Maybe I should get an barometric altimeter too. I want to be semi-official.

Yes the racing makes it hard to ride alot...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The HELLRIDE - now that sounds interesting - what is that?

I did the CCP100 a couple o weeks ago and it seemed like hell it was so hot on lap 2.

Also have a couple more hellacious rides coming up - the PC endurance 100 50 miler in two weeks, which gets about 12,000 in fifty miles and at the end of august the 100 miler for 18,000+ - both awesome rides here in Utah. I can't wait for those.

I really am thinking seriously about hitting the grand loop next year too. Half the fun is dreamin about this stuff :D

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
The HELLRIDE is a competition that Sant Cruz have held for the past 2 years. Basically you fill out a web form and then they pick 1 male and 1 female to go ride with 2 of their pro riders, also 1 male, 1 female - they fly you wherever they hold it and give you a NOMAD to ride and if you finish the ride you keep the NOmad :D. For the last 2 years it's been Marc Weir as the guy. Go check their site for details or look for an ad somewhere on MTBR.

JB100 said:
The HELLRIDE - now that sounds interesting - what is that?
Yeh I'm looking to do the Park City E100 next year or year after, should be a good personal challenge. Got to figure how to train for it.

·
Scott in Tucson
1,331 Posts
JB100 said:
Krein or anybody - So what system/method do you think is the most accurate?

With my Forerunner 205 I've checked it against some "known" vertical gains like little cottonwood canyon and it seemed to be pretty close to right on.
Not sure. I don't have enough experience with Polar units, watch altimeters, cyclometers with altimeters, et cetera. I am fairly obsessed with the issue for GPS units, though.

With the Forerunner, it depends on the software you are using to compute the total gain. Some are better than others. Are you collecting data in "smart mode" or every second?

In general, my experience is that GPS units without altimeters exaggerate the elevation gain, especially on wooded trails where signal is weak. The less accurate the elevation computation is, the more gain you will get since the statistic we're interested in is a sum. GPS has much tigher errors on x,y than it does on z (elevation).

It sounds like you are checking the 205, but Little Cottonwood is a road so it should have fairly good coverage (better than a twisty singletrack in the trees). I'm glad to hear that it was accurate on one ride, though!

I actually haven't used my 305 quite enough to have a firm opinion on it, but so far I've seen some wildly exaggerated numbers.

JB100 said:
Yes the racing makes it hard to ride alot...
Esp. when you do something like the Grand Loop.... (noted you were "thinking" about it).

·
Cycling, FTW!!
478 Posts
JB100 said:
You should check out www.24hoursofsunlight.com Its pretty much a rando race held at Sunlight mountain resort in Glenwood Springs, CO and its all about the vert. Greg Hill and Jimmy Faust both busted out some serious vert last Febuary. They both climbed over 50,000 feet in 24 hours, on some super light weight rando racing skis.

You would get some good vert. under your belt if you trained for this race, and it sounds like your from SLC so you have the perfect playground for training just out your backdoor.

I dont keep a running tab of how much vert. I get on a bike each summer, but I know the most I have done in a 24 hour race is just over 30,000 feet at 24 hours of Steamboat.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
MarkoInTheBoat said:
You should check out www.24hoursofsunlight.com Its pretty much a rando race held at Sunlight mountain resort in Glenwood Springs, CO and its all about the vert. Greg Hill and Jimmy Faust both busted out some serious vert last Febuary. They both climbed over 50,000 feet in 24 hours, on some super light weight rando racing skis.

You would get some good vert. under your belt if you trained for this race, and it sounds like your from SLC so you have the perfect playground for training just out your backdoor.

I dont keep a running tab of how much vert. I get on a bike each summer, but I know the most I have done in a 24 hour race is just over 30,000 feet at 24 hours of Steamboat.
30,000 - that is awesome!!!

I was there at sunlight - only solo snowboarder (some splitboarding/some hiking with board on back). I didn't have a great race - bonked early and was on course for only 12-13 hours, but still got in about 20,000+. Next year hoping for 30,000+ at least. Need to optimize my gear. I can go good for 12 hours, but have a mental block in 24 hour events.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
LyNx said:
The HELLRIDE is a competition that Sant Cruz have held for the past 2 years. Basically you fill out a web form and then they pick 1 male and 1 female to go ride with 2 of their pro riders, also 1 male, 1 female - they fly you wherever they hold it and give you a NOMAD to ride and if you finish the ride you keep the NOmad :D. For the last 2 years it's been Marc Weir as the guy. Go check their site for details or look for an ad somewhere on MTBR.

Yeh I'm looking to do the Park City E100 next year or year after, should be a good personal challenge. Got to figure how to train for it.
I just signed up for the hellride - thanks. Sounds like it would be hard to get chosen...

Glad you are going to try and make it out for The E100. Hard to find a more challenging race. Lots of good people, great single track. I did it the first run and it was religuous...

I am hoping to put the hammer down this year. I feel like I am getting into good form...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Krein said:
Esp. when you do something like the Grand Loop.... (noted you were "thinking" about it).
I like big loops :D

I concur on the GPS - I did one ride through the woods with the forerunner 205 that seemed quite a bit off - i'll need to go back and check some of the numbers

1 - 20 of 28 Posts