Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking to upgrade my fork on my 2010 Gary fisher wahoo disc. The fork now doesn't use alot of its travel. Its 100 mm and about 60 mm is used at the maximum. i only weigh 145 but it should still compress more. I want to put a tora 318 on my bike. Heres the link. http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/FK405A12-Rock+Shox+Tora+318+Coil+U-Turn+Fork.aspx
i was just wondering if 30 mm is too much for my headtube. I dont want to void the warranty of my bike because i can afford a new frame. I just like that fork because it is in my price range and the motion control looks great.
Can i get away with the bigger fork? I don't currently ride real rough terrain but i might start.

·
YOU SCRATHED MY BIKE!!!!
240 Posts
ride rough terrain b4 you buy the new fork and see how your current forks treat you.. then if unhappy go with a 110mm travel or just another 100mm but that fork isnt a big step up from yours try and look at FOX

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Spring forks come with a medium weight spring installed for the average person. You might ask your lbs about the availability of a lighter weight spring. Shouldn't cost much.

FWIW, I use a 80mm fork and sometimes limit it to 40-50 with the tpc if riding a fairly smooth trail section or double track.

·
Registered
639 Posts
If you're looking to upgrade forks, look to an air fork so you can fix the problem you are having. That Tora is a nicer fork than what's on your bike now, and with the U-Turn you can run it at the same 100mm your bike is designed for, just go for the air model.

·
Jonesin'
293 Posts
rlouder has a good point. Wouldn't hurt to ask. I did about the stock fork on my 4300 and shop said "no, they don't make different springs for that fork."{RST Gila}.
So I bought a Tora 318, but mine's air from '08. Great fork and a huge upgrade. I disagree with Carlos about it not being much better than a suntour. The motion control is sweet. I agree with him about riding the bike more first though. Your bike is too new IMO, gotta pay your dues :D
Wait until post-Xmas and you'll find better deals (off season).

Bad news: the fork you linked doesn't have the custom G2 geo. Might not matter.
Good news: If you don't like the idea of 130 mm travel you can set it at 100 and leave it. Thats what I'd do.

Good luck.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah im not looking at upgrading until mid October. but i can wait longer. Would using the 120mm crack the head tube if i use it occasionally. Are there any other motion control forks around at that price range?

·
Registered
332 Posts
generally speaking, an extra 20mm of travel from stock is ok but few would recommend going above that.

Personally, I consider you a very light person. the spring in your fork probably is just a little too firm and that's what's limiting your travel (although suntour forks are terrible and the spring won't be the worst of your issues in the long run). an air fork will do well for you because you can adjust it when you get it and play with it from there. I run about 250 and I love having the air spring in my reba for this reason...spring forks just don't come standard with firm enough springs. If you end up getting an air model (which I and many others would recommend) then look for one that's either at 100mm or a uturn model (like a tora 318 solo air uturn) so that you can get it to 100mm because that's where your optimum travel is. you could run one a little longer or shorter but a 100mm air fork is your best bet imo.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Air sounds good to me because I'm only going into eighth grade. I'm 5'9" and 145 as i said but I'm still growing so the adjustibility of air sounds good. $250 is my price range for a new fork because i don't have that much money. What is a decent fork for less than $250 that has an air shock. And forks drop in price after Christmas, right? What other times do they drop in price?

·
Bicyclochondriac.
14,911 Posts
Gsromich said:
Im looking to upgrade my fork on my 2010 Gary fisher wahoo disc. The fork now doesn't use alot of its travel. Its 100 mm and about 60 mm is used at the maximum. i only weigh 145 but it should still compress more. I want to put a tora 318 on my bike. Heres the link. http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/FK405A12-Rock+Shox+Tora+318+Coil+U-Turn+Fork.aspx
i was just wondering if 30 mm is too much for my headtube. I dont want to void the warranty of my bike because i can afford a new frame. I just like that fork because it is in my price range and the motion control looks great.
Can i get away with the bigger fork? I don't currently ride real rough terrain but i might start.
At your weight, you may just need a softer spring for your fork.

The nice thing about that Tora U-Turn Coil is that you can run it anywhere from 85-130mm, so you could try 130 and just lower it if it does not feel right. However, at your weight, you may find the stock spring too stiff, and not get full travel, so you may need to get the soft spring for it. I think the Tora 318 is a really good value, the only drawback being that it is kind of heavy, but the performance is pretty good. If you ever get to the point that you feel comfortable doing mods to the fork, you can even tune it like one of the higher end motion control forks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts