Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
e-mail the fool that put out the latest poll that left out a category for rigid forks. that's what happens when you put the kids in charge...

·
Cold. Blue. Steel.
1,709 Posts
'03 Marathon SL

85mm of travel. lots more travel with a pair of 2.4" WTB Mutanoraptors!

i wish my old shoulder injury would let me ride rigid- wondering if i could get away with a finely crafted Ti fork... i ran my BuSS rigid with the stock, chromoly Bianchi fork for 2 years, but then i really started to pay for it when i would wake up throughout the night not being able to feel my arm (and this would last for 2 weeks after a race when you find yourself going balls out). during the day, my hand would buzz and tingle all the time. maybe if i didn't live in such a mountainous, rooty and rocky place it would be easier to go back to rigid. but then, i guess i really am mountain biking here in the Asheville, NC area...
any ideas for me, fellow SSers??

thanks for reading
aD-man

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
16,319 Posts
OneGearGuy said:
85mm of travel. lots more travel with a pair of 2.4" WTB Mutanoraptors!

i wish my old shoulder injury would let me ride rigid .... but then, i guess i really am mountain biking here in the Asheville, NC area...
any ideas for me, fellow SSers??

thanks for reading
aD-man
Yeah, I have some advice for you -- don't worry about it! There's no shame in running suspension. I've run both suspension and rigid and although rigid can be fun, for me in the long run (that is, for most of my riding) I'm way happier with good suspension travel. As for maintenance issues, I've had none with any of the five 'Zokeys and one Fox fork I've owned. And perhaps the best thing... with my Vanilla 125RL, if I want a rigid fork, I can lock it out any time I want! What's the problem? There's no mystique or honor in running rigid, it's just a different attitude. Take it from a guy who's fork offers both modes -- 100% rigid or plenty of plush travel. (And just for the record, another of my bikes is a full rigid SS.) Give me the option, thank you. :)

--Sparty

·
Banned
607 Posts
My new fork

My new fork hasn't traveled as much as my old fork. The new fork just went to wausau WI. The old fork went to tuscon last spring and countless other trips to MO, WI, MI, WI, IN, KY, WV.

New fork = 85mm of Boing

I was riding a Ti Spicer fork for awhile this spring and while it didn't move up and down very much, it flexed fore and aft at least an inch and a half.

g

·
Cold. Blue. Steel.
1,709 Posts
Great viewpoint

Sparticus said:
Yeah, I have some advice for you -- don't worry about it! There's no shame in running suspension... Give me the option, thank you. :)

--Sparty
thanks a bunch, Sparty. that is a great way to put it. i don't think i feel shamed as much as i like the truly quiet, simple- - maybe "pure" is the best way to describe it - -existance of a rigid SS. the best way out of this jam is to build another SS!!
i love these solutions. :D

much appreciated once again
aD-man

·
Registered
885 Posts
Travel...

Normally none - Vicious Cycles Rigid on the Spot about 90% of the time. Throw on my Atom Race 80mm with a 2.5 front tire if we ride a rougher trail outta town.

bulC said:
e-mail the fool that put out the latest poll that left out a category for rigid forks. that's what happens when you put the kids in charge...

·
Registered
170 Posts
bulC said:
Last I checked, 0 < 80. Hmmmm, that would certainly fall into the option of "less than 80" would it not? Get over it you self-righteous idiot! I just saw where you posted this same stupid message on the Passion board. Seriously, is this all you have to do? Does it bother you that much? Is "the man" not giving you enough special attention and recognition for being such a super cool bada$$ riding a fully rigid single speed (or at least owning one)????

·
Registered
657 Posts
Don't forget PA

LakeRaven said:
My new fork hasn't traveled as much as my old fork. The new fork just went to wausau WI. The old fork went to tuscon last spring and countless other trips to MO, WI, MI, WI, IN, KY, WV.

New fork = 85mm of Boing

I was riding a Ti Spicer fork for awhile this spring and while it didn't move up and down very much, it flexed fore and aft at least an inch and a half.

g
Don't forget Pittsburg! (Punk Bike Enduro)

Your old fork sure had a lot of travel!

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
We should restart this thread as a poll, as I'll bet the number of 5 inchers (heavy-duty downhill gear not too long ago) is about the same as the number of rigid (found only on cross-country weight grouches not too long ago). Sound good?

·
giddy up!
3,249 Posts
Bwahahahaha....

Is "the man" not giving you enough special attention and recognition for being such a super cool bada$$ riding a fully rigid single speed (or at least owning one)????[/QUOTE]

You may be on to something here......basically all of bulC's post revolve around him "riding like a man" with a rigid fork.

·
Registered
569 Posts
reverse the letters &...

donkey said:
Is "the man" not giving you enough special attention and recognition for being such a super cool bada$$ riding a fully rigid single speed (or at least owning one)????
You may be on to something here......basically all of bulC's post revolve around him "riding like a man" with a rigid fork.[/QUOTE]

Kinda sounds like 'club'

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.