Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new bike a no longer need my 2010 GF Marlin. I got the Marlin one year ago from my LBS for $700.

Marlin | Gary Fisher Bicycles

It is the v-brake version but I have upgraded it with Avid BB-7s, a Manitou Drake fork and T-One Design locking grips. I have taken VERY good care of the bike but it still has the usual scratches from the trail. Always kept inside and no rust anywhere. The front tires look new and the rear tires have worn down about 30%. Bike is in full working order and was just tuned-up.

What kind of price should I list it for (CL)? All of the upgrades are about $300 which brings it to a grand total of $1000. My LBS said to start at $700 and I can always negotiate down from there. What do you suggest?

·
Freshly Fujified
8,196 Posts
List it at $700 OBO

Take the first offer of $500 or above. With all due respect, even with the upgrades, the used bike market is just not going to be giving up much more than that.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,196 Posts
To a GF homer, maybe....

This was the last year that Trek sold bikes with the GF name on it. Does that increase the value at all?
It would possibly have some sentimental value to someone who loves GF bikes, but from a collectibility standpoint, you've altered it's originality (and hence any real potential collectibility) when you made the upgrades. My guess is that the bike will be viewed by the general buying public as a decent used hardtail, and nothing more or less.

Best wishes for getting a good price on the bike!

Bob

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Apparently one of your prospective buyers was turned off by the initial asking price.
Hey you can't please everyone, right? In just one day I've had 6 people asking to see the bike so losing one isn't so bad. :cool:

I'm confident I'll get my asking price for the bike. Everyone wants a brand new bike but everyone also loses equally much as soon as they roll that bike out of the showroom. Always better to buy used if you can.

Even if my bike was new, it'd still be a deal considering the upgrades I've done to it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, small world.
It really is, haha!

If you do decide to go new, I'd recommend the following shops in our area:

Home - flythecyclery.com
Staff & Store Info - Ridgewood - All-Star Bike Shops, Inc.
Raleigh - All Stores (Master)

Whatever you do, DO NOT go to Cycle Logic. They are unprofessional and have very limited selection. A blind person could do better work than them.

Good luck with the search for a bike! Still have mine sitting right behind me with your name on it :thumbsup:

·
Registered
17 Posts
I wouldn't say turned off, just inquisitive about the value for the money given the economy today! Totally within the seller's rights to ask whatever he wants for the bike, he wants to get what he can for the upgrades. I know I would too.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I wouldn't say turned off, just inquisitive about the value for the money given the economy today!
That is precisely what you should be doing though. In fact I am selling this bike because I just picked up a full-suspension 29er bike for a serious deal at All-Star. The bike was $2400 new, but it was a demo bike so they sold it for 20% off. That brought it down to $1920. I demoed the bike myself and they gave me $50 off the price for trying it out. That made it $1870. I came into the store with $1800 in CASH and slapped it on the counter. What do you know, they struck a deal for me to get the bike for $1800 out the door. That saved me $600 off the price of the new bike, and yet the bike was "sold as new" so I get a full warranty!

If you do go to bike shops, ask them if they have any old models laying around. They generally have close-out prices on those models because they are trying to dump them to make room for the newest models. CASH is king, so try to deal that way with a bike shop.

And with anything on Craigslist, you want to go see it in person and take it for a spin if you can.

Come on here or ask me personally if you have any further question.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.