Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am buying an '04 Gary Fisher Tassajara from a friend, who paid $650 about a year ago. What is a fair offer to make him? The bike is in good condition, stock.

He is also selling me an '04 ladies GT Timberline. Any ideas?

Thanks for you help!

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Hard to say

hotrodtommy said:
I am buying an '04 Gary Fisher Tassajara from a friend, who paid $650 about a year ago. What is a fair offer to make him? The bike is in good condition, stock.

He is also selling me an '04 ladies GT Timberline. Any ideas?

Thanks for you help!
Bikes lose a pretty good amount of their value once they've been ridden. Has he given you an indication of what he thinks he can get for them on the open market? This can be a dicey situation, as buying from a friend can turn into a nightmare. I would start by asking him what he would be willing to sell them to you for and if that seems reasonable pay for it, but understand it's buyer beware. If one of the bikes ends up needing a major repair, you're on the hook for it, and it could cause problems between friends.

If you want to make an offer, I wouldn't pay any more than 70% of what he paid for the Tassajara (assuming it was new when he bought it, 50% if it was used), and 50% on the Timberline. My numbers may be way off, but again, used bikes depreciate a lot.

Good luck in making this deal work for all concerned.

Bob

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Warranty......Warranty......Warranty......

Ditto to the comments about the risks of doing business with a friend.

One other point to make is the fact that the lifetime warranty for Trek/Gary Fisher bikes is for the original owner of the bike. As such, you will not be able to get a replacement frame should something happen like you would if you bought the bike from a LBS. One of the reasons why I prefer new bikes.

Just a thought.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts