Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone knew how much seatpost one should have inserted into the frame? It is a ti seatpost and a ti frame. I currently have 4.5" and was wondering if I could trim it down a little without worrying about frame/post damage.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
I believe the general rule of thumb is : As long as it passes all the way through the TT, you'll be Ok. It doesn't have to pass by a lot, 1/2" - 1" should be fine.

·
Belltown Brazer
693 Posts
Stick your finger down into your seat tube. On most Ti frames, the top couple of inches of the seat tube is a machined piece made to fit the seat post. It's a smaller ID to do this correctly. If you have one of these, that is the only contact between the post and your frame. Any seatpost below this insert does not contact the frame and therefore may be cut off.

B

·
Appalachian Singletrack'n
1,444 Posts
Agreed with MDEnvEngr, your Blacksheep has an aluminum seat tube shim in it. Any post that extends beyond that shim is useless as that it isn’t contacting anything. As well a TI post that stops in the middle of the shim can wear a spot in the shim if the post flexes allot (happened to me before). Optimal scenario is the post is about the same length as the shim. But really, a half of inch at the bottom of a TI post weighs what? Maybe as much as 4 sideknobs on a tire? So if you trimmed 1 side knob of each side of each tire you could save the same but in rotating……you see where I’m going. What if you want to use that same post on another frame one day and it a half an inch too short? I don’t know what Erikson charges for one of those posts but I suspect they aint cheep. Of course if you’re an elite racer or narcissistic bike part color changer please disregard my sensible argument.

1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Endomaniac said:
Agreed with MDEnvEngr, your Blacksheep has an aluminum seat tube shim in it. Any post that extends beyond that shim is useless as that it isn't contacting anything. As well a TI post that stops in the middle of the shim can wear a spot in the shim if the post flexes allot (happened to me before). Optimal scenario is the post is about the same length as the shim. But really, a half of inch at the bottom of a TI post weighs what? Maybe as much as 4 sideknobs on a tire? So if you trimmed 1 side knob of each side of each tire you could save the same but in rotating……you see where I'm going. What if you want to use that same post on another frame one day and it a half an inch too short? I don't know what Erikson charges for one of those posts but I suspect they aint cheep. Of course if you're an elite racer or narcissistic bike part color changer please disregard my sensible argument.
Thanks for the help, I will check it out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.