Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Government recommendation is for intake of about 4-5 g of salt per day. I eat very healthily, but have no idea whether I am getting the right amount.

When I am out riding I try to consume about 1 litre of water or more per hour but should I be adding salt and other stuff to this?

I pretty much never do rides over about 3 hours so it is not like I am having to cope with supplying energy and stuff for a whole day epic.

Should probably be adding some kind of tablet or something to my bladder, but I have a huge suspicion that some of the additives out there are just a waste of money? Could I get by with adding a pinch of salt to my bladder providing it does not taste too horrible?

Any help/advice/suggestions gratefully received, and apologies if this has been covered before, but I am new to the forum

·
Registered
80 Posts
I wouldn't..

add sodium as a supplement, you likely consume the recommended amount of sodium (and then some) each day. Especially if you consume any processed/prepackaged foods (they're loaded with way too much sodium).

·
trail addict
1,866 Posts
toolittletime said:
Government recommendation is for intake of about 4-5 g of salt per day. I eat very healthily, but have no idea whether I am getting the right amount.
If you eat "very healthy", then chances are your salt intake is probably OK. If you sweat a lot and ride in high temps, then try to eat a banana or sip a little gatorade to keep your electrolytes in balance. I use a little bit of table salt with dinner, never add salt to anything else.

If you eat frozen foods, fast foods, potato chips, etc, then you probably already get way more than enough salt.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Uncle Six Pack. I pretty much never eat frozen or fast foods etc so I will do the salt with dinner.

Do you know what it is in Gatorade that keeps the electrolytes in balance? I live in the UK and we don't get Gatorade over here, so I will have to find something that has the same active content

·
trail addict
1,866 Posts
I believe it is a little sodium and potassium. Fruit juice may be a good alternative (I think OJ has more potassium than gatorade). At one point, I was putting about 1/8 or 1/4 (not sure) teaspoon of salt into a half-gallon of OJ (which was then about 6 servings) to get a similar electrolyte balance to sports drinks. Maybe a little obsessive, I don't bother anymore.

·
Just a punk in the street
184 Posts
During the hot months when I am sweating a lot while riding I take a Thermotab, a buffered salt tablet, either during or after the ride. If I don't I get extremely tired and will be cramping soon. I discovered this when I was young and working 10 hour days in the blistering heat. Listen to what your body is telling you. If you sweat out the salt you have to replace it. Thats my opinion.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Don't bother. For normal life, even for frequent rides around 3 hours, we get more then enough (but for most of us, even way too much) salt with everyday's food. So adding extra salt can just cause problems, including medical problems like higher blood pressure etc.. So don't play with adding salt to drinks.
Besides, having proper sport drinks (Powerbar, Isostar etc.) is one thing, having water with teaspoon of salt added is completely different thing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.