Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good point...........

aphis said:
The amount of sag depends on your personal preferences, also rear shock. On 5th element I use 1" of sag, on roco TST R little less.
I'm using my Free as a downhill bike only with a Fox DHX coil.

Thanks.

·
keystone addict
542 Posts
On my dhx I run a 450 pound spring with no preload, and I weigh 170 without gear. It gives a little more sag than the manual calls for, but it feels really really nice. and it wont bottom out with the volume set right, either. I think the preload setting dictated in the manual is a bit too harsh for dh, imho.

but, really, I have run just about every possible setup and have never found one that feels all that "bad". just try something out and adjust it as you go.:thumbsup:

·
Bum Buzzer
1,992 Posts
Umm - with a VPP - Sag is NOT a personal prefernce. It sags too far or too little? the whole concept doesnt work. Fine on an SP, not so good on a Dual-Link bike esp VPP.

This is why people talk down designs, because they set em up wrong.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I run about 35% (= 1" = ~25mm) sag on my vp-free. The best set-up for me in downhill and freeriding.

Huck Banzai => Atleast pro riders use as much sag as they like, not as much as santacruz suggests. With a VPP sag is as much a personal preference as with any other bike. You should sometime try riding different set-ups and not only say what you have read on the internet ;)

Off-topic: in the santacruz set-up guide they recommend the exact same set-up (spring rate, preload, pro pedal, boost valve, rebound) for riders from 60 to 80kg (140-180lbs) and claim that the sag is 25mm. How the f*** can the sag be the same? If the sag for a 140lbs rider is 1,1" (27mm) the the sag for a 180lbs person with same set-up should be 1,4" (35mm).

·
Bum Buzzer
1,992 Posts
cribe said:
I run about 35% (= 1" = ~25mm) sag on my vp-free. The best set-up for me in downhill and freeriding.

Huck Banzai => Atleast pro riders use as much sag as they like, not as much as santacruz suggests. With a VPP sag is as much a personal preference as with any other bike. You should sometime try riding different set-ups and not only say what you have read on the internet ;)

Off-topic: in the santacruz set-up guide they recommend the exact same set-up (spring rate, preload, pro pedal, boost valve, rebound) for riders from 60 to 80kg (140-180lbs) and claim that the sag is 25mm. How the f*** can the sag be the same? If the sag for a 140lbs rider is 1,1" (27mm) the the sag for a 180lbs person with same set-up should be 1,4" (35mm).
I have tried em- plenty -wrenched on plenty - make that same comment to SC or Intense and they'll laugh (under their breath - dont want to insult customers) my comments come from direct experience with the products and design in question in addition to 25+ years of general cycling experience (including shop and race mechanic).

heres a lil snippet of an article for you:

VPP SAG AND ACTIVE SUSPENSION:
VPP's balance of counteracting pedaling and bump forces is optimized at the recommended "sag" point. Sag is the amount the suspension compresses when the rider is in a neutral position. For example, when sitting on the bike at rest or riding on smooth terrain. This point is about 1/4 to 1/3 of the way into the suspension travel.
VPP bikes are designed to be ridden with sufficient sag to provide truly active suspension, meaning the suspension compresses (positive travel) and extends (negative travel) with rises and dips in the trail. A VPP owner rides in a suspended "pocket" with ample positive and negative travel available to maintain traction and momentum in all trail conditions, even while pedaling.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Still, it didn't say how much sag you should have. After what I've tested on my vp-free, I've come to the conclusion that even with a vpp bike, the amount of sag is a personal preference. I ran about the same amount of sag on my old bike and that's why I like about the same on the vp-free. After testing different sag amounts (from 20% to over 40%), I got the bike work as well with all sag set-ups. But I mostly run DH and freeride, and the set-ups vary very much if it would be an vpp xc-bike.

But yeah, if you want to run the set-up people at santacruz suggests you to ride, rather than experiment yourself what's the best set-up for you, then go ahead. And the santacruz set-up guide is pritty stupid.

You should ask Peaty and Rennie if they both run the amount of sag that santacruz suggests. Then if they say that they don't (witch they probably the case), you can tell them that they run the wrong set-up.

:p

·
Registered
6,855 Posts
Huck Banzai said:
I have tried em- plenty -wrenched on plenty - make that same comment to SC or Intense and they'll laugh (under their breath - dont want to insult customers) my comments come from direct experience with the products and design in question in addition to 25+ years of general cycling experience (including shop and race mechanic).

heres a lil snippet of an article for you:
Ok, what might happen if you run too little sag, or too much? (how does it affect the suspension)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.