Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Trek E-Caliber 9.6
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the midst of changing to tubeless tires on my Trek Fuel and since I'm moving to North Lake Tahoe from the midwest my thought is that now is the time to get a more aggressive tread since the soil at my destination will be much different than the soil where I am currently riding.

The local bike shop is primarily a Specialized shop, and has recommended two different tires for me
The Captain or Purgatory.
I've found a few threads on MTBR that include some great chat about the Captain (among others) but I haven't seen much about the Purgatory, although the purgatory looks like it'd be a gnarly tire for No Lake Tahoe.

Anyone with experience out there that can help me out on this choice?

Or give me some other ideas for something that will fit my needs.
Thanks for reading
TC

·
aka dan51
6,021 Posts
I've had both and recall not being impressed with the Purgatory, I took it off after a few rides.
I later tried 2.0 Captains and was blown away by the traction those things offered. I've now got Captain 2.2 Grid on my bike and love them. 2.0 goes back on when it's race season.

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
Huge fan of the Captain's. I have them in 29x2.2 and 26x2.2, both bikes tubeless. They kick ass for everything I've ridden in this area, which includes Tahoe, the Bay Area and lots in between.

·
Registered
Trek E-Caliber 9.6
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback. Its really helpful.

As a matter of comparison, the tires I have on the Fuel now are these Bontrager Jones XR's, which are tubeless ready.
I'm assuming that these won't hold up to the terrain that I'll be attempting when I make the move, which is why I'd like to make the switch before I make the move.

Thoughts?

·
go fast, pull up
57 Posts
even more aggressive

I run two Eskars tubeless and love em. My wife runs an eskar up front and a purgatory in the rear. They all go on tubeless real easy, I just use a floor pump. The trails in north tahoe get very loose by the end of the summer and more tire comes in handy.

·
Registered
Trek E-Caliber 9.6
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks tons!
I am very open minded and am happy to explore any and all suggestions.
This is good info.....keep it coming!

·
Urban Ninja
2,381 Posts
The Jones are garbage in general. Rubber compound and tread design sucks. If you want some decent tires from Bontrager I'd suggest XR4 in front XR2 in the rear. Get the team issue of each.

Or you could go with the tride and true Nevegal front, SB8 rear both UST and 2.1.

I'm using the new WTB Wierwolf TCS 2.1 on the front of my Fuel and am loving it. The downside was that it was waaay hard to mount but it fuggin rails the corners. In the summer I pretty much always run the SB8 UST in the rear. Rolls fast and grips surprisingly well.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I use Purgatory 2.4s front and rear on my SS and FS ride, and love the bottomless feel they provide due to their impressive volume. They hook up well and allow for relatively low pressurse to be run in the rocks here in Chico.

·
Registered
Trek E-Caliber 9.6
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was thinking of the 2.2's, but then again, I'm a newb to the area. Will I regret the 2.2's and wish I'd gone wider?
Is this like a Fat Ski debate?

·
Registered
414 Posts
You know, so much depends on the bike and the rider and trail preference and there is also no perfect tire. I put The Captain 2.0 on the rear and Purgatory 2.2 on the front of my new Mach 5 this [late-starting] summer and am a little ambivalent about their performance on the usual trails from Donner Summit to NLT so far. This was because I was loving The Captains (2.2 F/2.0 R) this winter on my hardtail out of home in Nevada City (obviously different trails and riding style). As a rider I'm not terribly aggressive but I do ride a whole lot on a wide variety of Gold Country and Sierra trails.

On the Mach 5 The Captain definitely loses it fast on tight descents turning in the talc but still gets through.Depends how much you object to skidding. In loose over hard--particularly with bigger rocks--it loses it on climbs. The combination does not inspire confidence in straight on loose over hard descents. I am running both at around 35# and going lower might improve performance. They are still pretty good overall and supergood on tubeless performance (Stan's and ZTR rims) and rolling fast.

I compare them mainly to Nevegals with tubes which have been my all-around preference the last few years, and before that a Panracer Cinder in front and FR Pro in the rear. I would still be on Nevegals if there was any way to seal them reliably but they just won't despite persistence and every trick in the book and the UST version is way too heavy.

I am going to be making some kind of change but not sure just what yet. Perhaps trying a Purgatory on the rear, too, and maybe fattening up the front. If you are set on Specialized that might be a good place to start or alternately, if your bike handling skills in loose are excellent, The Captain on the rear. I have also heard good things about a new WTB I can't remember the name of that is supposedly heavy yet fast and looks like it should have very good hook up. Also heard that WTB was complaining about new Stan's rims performance with their aggressive bead.

Good luck! Have fun!

·
Registered
220 Posts
I love my Geax Sturdy 2.25 Kevlar in the front, I'm on my 3rd. Have also had good luck with a WTB MotoRaptor 2.24 in back. Conditions tend to get pretty loose, dry & just plain sandy once the snow melts, until it flies again.

·
Rubber side down
124 Posts
For my riding style I role nothing less then 2.5 front 2.3 rear. That's trail riding all through the Sierra's.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Epic TC,

I run the Purgatory's in the Tahoe area and love them. Have 2.4 front and 2.2 in the back. Would run 2.4 in the back if it would have fit. Floats well, great traction, rolls well and has never let me down.

I converted to tubeless with stans products and run them between 25-28 lbs. When I first moved to Tahoe 9 years ago, I had low profile tires from riding in the Bay area. One crash in the loose rocky stuff, convinced me to go fatter and beefy for tires.

·
Registered
Trek E-Caliber 9.6
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am a bit surprised that I'm not seeing more 29'er info, though I'm on a Fuel which is obviously 26.
I have a friend running an Epic 29er with Captains on it, and he's thinking of going with a bit more aggressive tread. Not sure which way he's going

For now I'm thinking Purgatory's 2.4(ish) and keep my Bontragers for spares juuuuust in case.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts