Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
steve695 said:
I don't, I was just curious if I should be running more than 60
Meaningless question without more details.

Where are you riding? (traction, size of rocks etc)

How much do you weigh?

It all depends on what you are comfortable with. 60 is high for big offroad tyres. While big tyres are "squishier" they also carry more weight at a given pressure.

Plenty of guys run their tyres _below_ the recommended _minimum_ PSI. The risk here is wall damage and losing a tyre. That's the biggest risk; if you are riding over the capability if the tyre's walls and wheel grip, you need to make the tyres harder.

There is also the problem that the tyres will "give" as you corner, making the bike feel unstable.

The harder the tyres, in general the less traction in gravelly stuff, or other rolly situations. It's also a lot easier on the rider.

On the other hand if you are riding in places of good traction, the harder the tyres the better that given tyre will roll, and make pedalling easier. If I was riding good clean granite rock, for instance.

IMHO if you are riding on the road a lot, then use road tyres and get them good and hard. You can even lash out and carry a couple of folding road tyres and use folding MTB tyres. With practice you can easily change a set of tyres in 10 minutes or less. MTB tyres suck for rolling compared to a nice narrow road tyre, and also you will rip the treads to shreds too fast.

Carry a pump and set yourself up to suit your ride..

In general, on most XC rides, just leave them where they are.

Nick

·
Pedaler of dirt
903 Posts
steve695 said:
Topic says it all.

I have Maxxis Downhill 2.4 inch tyres.

45 is the recommended PSI, I run them on 60, but I'm wondering if I should run them on more or not.
60 sounds very high. I'm over 220lbs and I've never ran with over the recommended PSI. I'll vary the PSI based on the trails and conditions, but I'll average around 35-40 for most rides.

Hard or semi paved to paved trails, pretty hard and about recommended PSI.
Rooty and rocky single track, softer tyres and around 35PSI (For a 2.5inch tyre)
Muddy conditions, hard skinny tyres, 1.9s with about 60PSI.
Sandy conditions, soft really fat tyres, 2.7s at about 30PSI.

This is all running tubed tyres and not tubeless which I've yet to try.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I also weigh about 200, and ride very rocky trails out here in GJ. I run Kenda Nevegal 2.10 tubeless tires at 35-38 lbs. I tried 50 lbs once as an experiment and found the bike to be very squirrely at that pressure. YMMV.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
steve695 said:
Topic says it all.

45 is the recommended PSI, I run them on 60, but I'm wondering if I should run them on more or not.
The topic does not say it all. It depends on rider weight and riding style, the type of riding, terrain, and bike setup (at least).

I would be running 2.4" Maxxis DH tires around 25psi (mine have a labeled range of 35-65psi).

·
Weekend Warrior
1,078 Posts
Specialized Fasttrak LK @ 35psi XC

These tires come alive at 30 psi. I tried last weekend at 45-50psi but they were maybe above average at higher PSI. At 25psi they will come of the rim.

·
Registered
251 Posts
steve695 said:
I weigh 74 kilograms

I ride from street to singletrack and downhill when I can. A bit of everything really.
Still not handing much out are you? :)

However, like the others I think 60 PSI is way too high, except for normal road riding. Softer tyres will give better traction in most conditions. Too soft and as I said, you can start to feel the squishiness.

Experiment. In the end you are the only one that really knows what suits you.

A lot also depends on how you ride. At 74 Kg you are not heavy. You could lower that pressure quite a bit, and as long as you don't just sit the saddle, you will not risk the walls. If by downhill you mean real drops and jumps, then you may have to go back up a bit, but I still do not see 60 PSI.

EDIT: I run my back tyre about 10% ~ 5 PSI higher then the front. It does not have a shock to take up bumps, and there is usually a bit more weight at the back.

Nick

·
I play hard to want
360 Posts
I ride with a Panaracer Smoke/Dart combo. I usually run them at around 35 psi. Once I tried them at around 45-50 psi and had a lot of trouble on the trails.

60 sounds way too high for off-road use, but it all comes down to personal preference. If you're happy where you're running them, there's no reason to change.

·
meh... whatever
5,306 Posts
daleksic said:
Specialized Fasttrak LK @ 35psi XC

These tires come alive at 30 psi. I tried last weekend at 45-50psi but they were maybe above average at higher PSI. At 25psi they will come of the rim.
fwiw these tyres are on my gf's bike @ 18-22 (generally 20) psi and theyve never come off the rim. obviously, ymmv.

steve695 said:
I run them on 60
imho that is WAAAAAAAY too high for the trails.

easily about half that with tubes and even less tubeless.

·
Steve
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Offrampmotel said:
I ride with a Panaracer Smoke/Dart combo. I usually run them at around 35 psi. Once I tried them at around 45-50 psi and had a lot of trouble on the trails.

60 sounds way too high for off-road use, but it all comes down to personal preference. If you're happy where you're running them, there's no reason to change.
Alright thanks.

I'll experiment a bit

·
Weekend Warrior
1,078 Posts
monogod said:
fwiw these tyres are on my gf's bike @ 18-22 (generally 20) psi and theyve never come off the rim. obviously, ymmv.

I bet she doesn't weight 185 pounds either... ;)

I can do 25 psi but only on easy riding, as soon as I kick it a bit it will peel right off. I can do 30psi safely. These tires are probably one of the best I've ever ridden. Next time I'll go with the Fasttrack LK Pro version.

·
Registered
251 Posts
steve695 said:
Topic says it all.

Enough opinions yet n? <G>

Contribute.

Let's know how you go with experimentation with PSI.

As I (and others ) have said, it's up to you.

Nick

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.