Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The past couple of years I've been mountain bike racing simply to get some technical skills and pass the time before cross season. Last year, I raced as a beginner and had a very successful bunch of races before I hung it up to prepare for the cross season.

This year, I'd like to put more energy into racing mountain and step it up to the single speed open class. This would entail, most likely, racing expert distance courses. Obviously, this is a huge jump in distance.

The thing is that I'm already training pretty seriously. This year, I've put in 370 training hours and done 30+ races between road, cross, and mtb.

How much of a leap can I expect this to be? I'm putting in the hours, doing the long rides, but I don't have race experience of this length. Am I getting in over my head?

·
Believer in Darwin
274 Posts
If

you are training that much then you should be fine.
Sport class is the hardest class to compete in, that is my opinion. There are a ton of sandbaggers in sport class. It is rampant. Less so in expert, though you are likely to still be crushed, a longer race will is more fun then a sprint. Who wants to race for 15 miles anyways?
paz afuera

·
one less car
122 Posts
papisimo11 said:
you are training that much then you should be fine.
Sport class is the hardest class to compete in, that is my opinion. There are a ton of sandbaggers in sport class. It is rampant. Less so in expert, though you are likely to still be crushed, a longer race will is more fun then a sprint. Who wants to race for 15 miles anyways?
paz afuera
there are sandbaggers in every class. 370 hours is a decent amount - and should make you plenty competitive in sport, but back of expert unless you have years of 370hr seasons... 500hrs is a good amount for expert - 550-600 good for some age-bracket podium. just my 2cents - genetics and whatnot makes a huge difference, one person may go animal off 400hrs and another might need 500 to be at same place.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
In my region, Singlespeed Open is one of the hardest classes. It covers the Expert distance and the winner usually is one of the top 5 fastest finishers of the day, usually 2nd or 3rd with the top guys being Pros (and when I say Pros, I am talking Chris Eutaugh and Dave Duvall). I have personally experienced a 30 minute deficit from first to not last in that class (me being 30 minutes behind the winner).

No doubt you can do it and be competitive, but just be aware that, in my opinion, the jump between Sport and Expert seems to be a huge gap and it may take some of the fun away for you. If you only have beginner experiences, maybe try some Sport races - - > put yourself in a class where you can be competitive for a bit. In my region, the guys who get called Sand Baggers in Sport turn Expert and usually do not see the front of the Expert races for years. In Sport, I was an occassional top ten guy. In the Singlespeed class (covering the Expert distance), I was a back of pack guy. And it was not the bike choice that was slowing me down as I raced Sport on the SS as well.

Your experience may differ, but I would suggest you try the Sport class out for a bit first before you upgrade to Expert. No doubt you could make it happen with 330 hours - - some guys make it happen well with less hours. I just think it would be best to give yourself some time to be successful in Sport before upgrading.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.