Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a question for those that rather build then buy from the LBS or buy for bikes for components. When I say waste, I mean parts bought that didn't work out in the over build and either sits in a crate or was sold at a loss. Not say that buying bike stuff is a waste. Over the holidays I sold everything I had except a 60mm Gravity stem. I was happy to get most of it back, but it stings a Little that I wasted a few hundred of dollars. I know that's chicken feed to some of you guys. With that being said, the wife's still doesn't have to know.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Wasted? Nada. If you know what you are looking for and what LBS retail is for built bikes as well as parts, you can do just great on e-bay (new and used) and various on-line retailers who have little overhead. Your own labor on your own bikes generally is fun time, not "work" (once you get past the learning curve), and you know who your mechanic is. It's the labor cost, the labor quality, and the waiting time that makes LBS a last resort for most experienced cyclists. Like when I blew the seals in my Reba fork

·
Registered
534 Posts
I don't wanna think about it! The only parts that haven't been replaced at least once on my Heckler are the front derailer and the seatpost clamp. 3 shocks, 2 forks, 2 wheelsets, 2 cranksets, 3 sets of shifters, 3 sets of hydros... It goes on and on. I built the thing as cheaply as possible at first, and I've upgraded and changed it as things have worn out and/or my riding style has changed.

·
Never trust a fart
4,543 Posts
I don't have too much that is wasted. I did have a few items left over from my last build, followed by a few items that were swapped out over the past 2 years. But those items have been used in my current 29r build. So I don't have much left over, other than some cable, a chain - which will be used in the future - and some tubes, which will be utilized on my wifes bike.

I given a few co-workers some items - seat post, saddle, stem - that I wasn't using that helped them out of a pinch.

·
Ride Instigator
3,220 Posts
I wouldn't call it a complete waste but my first bike build was a 23lb Zaskar and I weigh 210, and I'm a rather agressive trail rider. I destoyed the rear wheel first and then broke the frame chainstay. I then built a Ellsworth Isis weighing about 28lbs...broke that frame 3 times in 3 different places. They warrantied the frame all three times and I ebayed off the frame the last time. I have a Heckler now that I built in 05, nice sturdy build at about 33lbs and it's virtually bombproof for my purposes.

The cost? You can't put a dollar amount on that much fun:) .

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Death by a thousand cuts.

Jim311 said:
I don't typically buy stuff I don't need. I've ended up with a few stems, cables, and misc items, but not anything that amounts to any large sum of money.
I wish I was doing as well as you, cause last time I checked Easton post is like $70. A Thomson post is about $90. Just to turn around and buy a $200 Joplin. Not to mention that maybe a couple of those stems could just as well be $70 Thomson 4x or some $40 variety for that matter. I guess you've never shelved a $40 plus tire because it didn't live up to the claims.

·
Stay thirsty my friends
885 Posts
This is a great subject, the money I have wasted...let me count the ways.

I should never have gotten involved in the weight weenie ways of some of my friends, I have a handful of broken skewer axles, stems, seat tubes and other items I have trashed over the years and all of it I broke riding XC without leaving the ground in most cases. I ride DH level components now and if I need to lose 2 pds before a ride I leave the toolkit and have a good dump before I go riding...taking weight off is not worth the durability loss for guys over 200pds thats for sure.

Should of went with Stans tubeless system a long time ago, the amount of time it has saved me riding and replacing tubes must amount to hundreds of hours. I once bought a 12 pack of tubes for my bikes and used all but three when I finally went with the Stans conversion, I have those original three tubes still four years later but I always carry one as a spare when I ride in the boonies. I figure they might last me the rest of my life if they don't dry rot first.

Why did it take me 10 years to go 1X9, honestly do you really need 27 gears for anything? Got a box full of rings I will never use...small fortune in there. I guess I needed all those gears when I first started riding and was pretty weak, once I learned to stand up and ride and get my butt off the seat the strength came pretty fast.

I could go on a whole rant on Shimano derailleurs and how superior SRAM X stuff is but I hear the new Shimano stuff is pretty good so I'll save it...anyone need an ultralightweight pre 2002 XTR in mint shape? It weighs next to nothing and is worth about the same to me.

Grip shift, I got two riding buddies that love em and say once I try them I will throw my stupid levers away. They are probably right but I got so much invested in SRAM levers I don't want to try them...I just know they will become obsolete once I buy a gripshift. The idea of three complete sets of X9 levers in my scrap box makes me want to cry...how much is that worth $900CDN!

Mavic anything, I don't give a crap that your wheels are the lightest or you invented the Tubeless system...anyone who makes such a crappy hub pawl should be shot...stick your special tools and 1/4" Walmart ratchet hub components up your backside. You want me to service your hubs how often...get bent! Thanks for overcharging me through the roof while I figured this stuff out...the factory WTB wheelset from my wifes $800 Trek are more durable.

Clipless pedals and shoes, yea I know this one is controversial but I have been there and done that. Ever watch those guys that do trials riding? They don't ride clipless and can perform any stunt you can do clipped in, figure out how and practice it...your riding will improve 1000%. I'm not a wannabe racer and neither is 99% of the people out there, you don't need the extra 5% power you get from being able to pull up on the pedals...trust me. Wet feet and slipping and sliding on the trails while trying not to walk like a duck while wearing them...never mind clicking and clacking walking into work like some supermodel with high heels on. Go ahead flame me, they are ridiculous to every person that sees you except for the other lycra wearers.

1 Watt LED lights, can anyone see anything in front of them with these things...I got three that we use for camping lights so the kids can walk to the bathroom without being scared. Thats about all they are good for...scratch that..I use them for making coffee in the kitchen tent too.

Any fork made by Suntour, if you got one with your bike...throw it away before you get hurt! Total garbage with plastic retainer caps for the springs...mine wore out in three months of commuting on my first bike. The first product I have seen in a long time that could be liable for a lawsuit out of the box.

Thomson seat posts and stems, can we design a poorer stem clamp...seat post bending fuse? Are we really serious about this engineering nightmare? Stems that don't clamp and seat posts that bend at the first hint of a good hit, are these things designed for 100pd riders or what? Never mind they are ridiculously expensive because of all the fancy CNC machine work and laser etched graphics...ok they pioneered one of the best seat clamps but that doesn't do me much good when the freeking thing bends right away does it!

I'm betting there is about $5000 of learning in those few items I listed there, I'm afraid to look in the scrap box...oh God...there is a set of Nokon cables in there and a set of KoolStop Vee brakepads...ahhh forget it, I've wasted enough time on that junk.

I need to have a garage sale so I don't have to look at it.:thumbsup:

·
Its got what plants crave
5,933 Posts
Drth Vadr said:
I wish I was doing as well as you, cause last time I checked Easton post is like $70. A Thomson post is about $90. Just to turn around and buy a $200 Joplin. Not to mention that maybe a couple of those stems could just as well be $70 Thomson 4x or some $40 variety for that matter. I guess you've never shelved a $40 plus tire because it didn't live up to the claims.
It isn't like you can't turn around and get most of your money back for a Thomson stem or a Joplin on Ebay. I can't really think of many tires that I paid 40 bucks for only to throw them away, but tires are basically a disposable item anyway. But if you ride them and don't like them, sell them. At least recoup some of your money.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
wreckedrex said:
I don't wanna think about it! The only parts that haven't been replaced at least once on my Heckler are the front derailer and the seatpost clamp. 3 shocks, 2 forks, 2 wheelsets, 2 cranksets, 3 sets of shifters, 3 sets of hydros... It goes on and on. I built the thing as cheaply as possible at first, and I've upgraded and changed it as things have worn out and/or my riding style has changed.
This is very similar to my experience, but my shock will make it til it breaks. I managed to chose good shifters and I like the simplicity and reliability of BB7 w/SD7. Went through a couple of seats til I tried a Fizik (got a awsome price). DId the clipless thing and then I found 5.10.

·
Delirious Tuck
2,471 Posts
Anything from crankbrothers has been a waste of resources, sheered pedals and continuously troublsome joplins. The egg beater/mallets were my only waste on clip ins, I do ride a trials bike, but find climbing, log riding, and dropping very comfortable in the clips, might just try DHing them this year.

I think as your skill improves and your riding style gets more honed you'll spend in that direction. Create an ebay account to get rid of stuff as soon as you know it doesn't work or your riding style moves away.

Its never a bad thing having an extra bar or seat post or stem in the house if you're a clyde or ride to the limit. Naturally having an extra RD, cassette, chain, and derailier hangers, and maybe even shifters are clutch.

·
Delirious Tuck
2,471 Posts
4JawChuck said:
Grip shift, I got two riding buddies that love em and say once I try them I will throw my stupid levers away. They are probably right but I got so much invested in SRAM levers I don't want to try them...I just know they will become obsolete once I buy a gripshift. The idea of three complete sets of X9 levers in my scrap box makes me want to cry...how much is that worth $900CDN!
Sell the x9 levers to finance purchase of grip shifts, they're priced about the same on ebay used, so you should be able to get 1:1.

·
I'm SUCH a square....
1,983 Posts
Except for some tires that I didn't like, I've not had that problem. I don't sell stuff, I wear it out, or hand it down to my kids. (My nephew has worn out "his" Alivio shifters and Deore rear derailleur.)

Even if I did take a bit of a bath on the tire thing, I've made it up and more -- my bud swapped me wheelsets -- my Deore disc/Mavic X223 wheels for his Mavic 819's w/ Cannondale disc hubs! And he threw in a set of Specialized factory wheels, as well!

So far, the only loss has been a disc wheelset and rotors off my sister's bike -- she let her oldest son borrow the bike, he locked it up (poorly) at the store, and someone took the wheels. Gonna be about $120 to replace, and that's with rotors I already HAVE.

·
Registered
169 Posts
OH the Irony!

I read this thread as the Fedex guy drops off a box of goodies from Jenson-Talk about timing-:)
The way I see it (and how I "justify/explain" it to my wife) there is way more expensive hobbies out there, there's gambling, drugs -when one stops and thinks about it there is definetly more wasteful ways of spending a paycheck. Over the years I have definitely bought parts that seem a waste of money when I look back, but as some1 mentioned its a bit of a learning curve and an enjoyable hobby for me. cheers.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
erosive said:
When you've aquired enough odd parts, you can pretty much build a free bike.
Yep, its not really wasted if you can find another use for it:thumbsup: .

My collection of used and lightly used parts includes a full X.9/X.7 drivetrain and shifters, crank and external BB that needs new bearings, a few stems, handlebar, grips, steel fork, a tire or two, and maybe a few other parts. I think I need to buy a cheap frame and wheelset before these parts are too old;)

·
Stay thirsty my friends
885 Posts
I don't know about building a bike with all the parts I have discarded, the idea of riding a bike constructed purely with the components I found subpar makes me want a to puke a little bit in my mouth...I wouldn't ride it.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
4JawChuck said:
I don't know about building a bike with all the parts I have discarded, the idea of riding a bike constructed purely with the components I found subpar makes me want a to puke a little bit in my mouth...I wouldn't ride it.
just speaking for myself, but I never said the parts in my bin are there because they're sub-par

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.