Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:madman: How much do you spend after paying race fees, camping fee or the cost of a motel or a condo with you friends. Gear for your bike because you think it makes you go faster, gas for the long road trip or for the few, a plane ticket and let's not forget food, food,food. How much do you think you may spend??:madman:

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Let's see...........

.....I'll give it in US dollars just so it's easy for everyone.

- Airfare when I checked a couple weeks back was about $850
- Race entry fee is $220
- One weeks stay at the Leadville Hostel $120-$175 (unless I somehow get a cash influx and get a private room)
- One weeks stay elsewhere in Hostels $175-$250
- Food for the 2 weeks I'll be there I guesstimate around $500
- Tyres $40-$80
- New Wheelset (if I keep my Trance) $400-$450
- New R.I.P. 9 frameset, fork & wheels (if I decide to go this route and get a cash influx) $2,300+

So I guess without going the 29er route I'd be looking somewhere around $2300 on the low end to about $2,500+ on the higher end and this is without including and clothing etc I may need to get for the weather or other misc expenses that could incur.

·
Exactly 1/2 of 2-Epic
750 Posts
...yet the event sells out year after year, necessitating a lottery system. Apparently, there *is* more to making an event successful than offering free beer.

Jimmyboy, you say the darndest things.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry Hairball Dave,

I was asking because I was thinking of going this year to see what they were doing right so I could learn from them, Oh buy the way I never said I was giving Free beer , just asking? I think you read into things alittle wrong. Are you going to OP Hairball, I hope to see you there, I will be with Roger Lackey and Sean Allen. Stop by and we could alittle talk.

·
Exactly 1/2 of 2-Epic
750 Posts
jimmyboy said:
I was asking because I was thinking of going this year to see what they were doing right so I could learn from them, Oh buy the way I never said I was giving Free beer , just asking? I think you read into things alittle wrong. Are you going to OP Hairball, I hope to see you there, I will be with Roger Lackey and Sean Allen. Stop by and we could alittle talk.
No need to aplologize! It is obvious though your desire to put on a quality event for few $$. With all the freebies popping up and the established pricey events, the inexpensive event seems like a no-mans land. It'll be interesting to see how it all falls out over the next couple of years.

Yep, I'll be at OP. LyndaW and I will be sharing a pit/mechanic over in the solo camp. It'd be great to meet up.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Rationalization (big time) for my wife

But Honey Dear……
We should not count any travel or food cost because we would have spent roughly the same for t&f on any other of our typical vacations:)

I know it's expensive but we should not count my bike costs because I would have spent the same with or without Leadville, and remember its such a great "year-round" way to relive stress and lose weight blab blab blab……….:)

So really all we should count is the entry fee, ya I know it's a lot but Leadville is THE Endurance Event, everybody says so, why its so popular they have to do a lotto just to see who get to race:)

Actually I enjoy Leadville for a variety of reasons, the crowd, the pre-race meeting pep-talk, seeing all the other riders in town, the 9 hr/12 hr awards structure etc etc. The course itself is just ok but I get to one or two other races per yr that offer more "course" but less "event atmosphere". So far (for me) only the KTR has more of everything, zero entry fee, better course, unique event, etc. Anyway Leadville is a lot of money and while I would only spend that much on an entry fees for 1-2 races max in any given yr I feel I get my moneys worth. :thumbsup: .

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
I thought this title of the thread indicated a question as to how much people thought they'd end up spending, not someone trying to get at that it's too damn expensive - it's not. For one the entry fee's get partially donated to charity, so I have no probs there. Also you get some cool swag, pre-race meal, awards.

As far as I hear the atmosphere there is absolutely awesome and while you're around that area there's loads of other fun trails to be ridden if you turn the race into a mini vacation or something. I'm going up early for several reasons.....1 - to try to get acclimatized to that damn altitude, 2 - to get to see as much of the area as I can, 3 - to hopefully in having more time meet and ride w/ more MTBR members and other people passionate about MTBing like myself.

It's all very worthwhile to me and am looking forward to meeting all the MTBR folks who have been so helpful thus far in my endevour to complete this little goal of mine and maybe even come back with a nice new 29er :D.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well said guys!!!

I was still hoping to here how much money you spend. I know the event is one of the great 100's out there , if not the best one. Do you know how much of there money goes to a fund? I was thinking the same thing years ago after Ironman,then running the Western States 100, and at USARA adventure racing championships all the money I spent there, But on the other hand they all the best events and still running strong.:) Thanks for the great info.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.