Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just curious, do you guys know whow much someone like Sam Hill or Darren Berrecloth make?

I know FR/DH isn't too popular and I wanna see how different sports' athletes' salaries stack up.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Nut! said:
Jared Graves gets something like, 900,000 a year from Yeti? I know I heard that somewhere. Probably a lot of that is travel and race expenses though.
I find that extremely hard to believe, but u never know. I think the freerider/djers make a lot more money then the racers at this point

·
Registered
320 Posts
Nut! said:
Jared Graves gets something like, 900,000 a year from Yeti? I know I heard that somewhere. Probably a lot of that is travel and race expenses though.
I highly doubt that (maybe 90,000 including travel and bikes etc. ?), and also CG is doing so well because he deals in Real Estate too, I doubt most pros could afford such a nice house and car.

·
Bike Ninja |||
2,037 Posts
The average Pro racer makes next to nothing. literally. The pro pay out for winning the last MSC race was the lump sum of $100. pathetic.

However most of your "big name" pros get paid more comfortable salaries due to the fact that they are much more 'public'.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Sorry guys, but no one makes that kind of $$ from mtb companies.

All but the very top handful of world cup racers work regular jobs to pay the bills...and take time off to race/train (especially here in the USA where cycling in general is not a widely supported sport by the masses). No one is making millions(these days), NO one. (and IF anyone is actually bringing in six figures, it is NOT from mtb.....it is because they are a 'lifestyle personality'.

Guys like Cedric do well because of sponsors like Oakley, same for guys like Kyle Stait...corporate 'lifestyle sponsors' far outclass and pay much more $$ than any mtb company. This is not exclusive to mtb at all, people like Tiger make more $$ from Nike and Oakley than anything related ot actual golf.

Now, if you go back about 20 years, when MTB had lots of corporate sponsors, and was on TV, there was some real $$ around (six figure sallaries for big names) due to combined corporate support for teams/athletes...but with no TV coverage, and almost no big sponsors (the big mtb companies dont even participate in sponsorship/put $$ into the FR/DH side of the sport) corporate/lifestyle/automobiles etc.

Unfortunately, I dont see this changing much in the US, due to the fact that the general public thinks of all bikes/cycling as a toy for kids, not a truely demanding athletic sport(no sponsor is going to pay large $ to a 'kid' to ride a 'toy'). One needs to look no farther than the road cycling world (where million dollar sallaries are normal) to see the difference in the world vs US view on cycling. Any and all promising road cyclist moves to europe if the ever want to get somewhere with it. It is much like soccer...

Until/unless the US perception of cycling (every type) changes fundmentally....FR/Dh salaries are WAY to FAR down on the 'athlete' ranking for anyone here to make any money.

·
Now with flavor!!
5,613 Posts
I get paid 50k a year to talk shlt to a bunch of little kids on the internet with dh bikes who don't know what the fvck they're talking about.

It's a living.

·
Now with More Wood
2,964 Posts
davep said:
...This is not exclusive to mtb at all, people like Tiger make more $$ from Nike and Oakley than anything related ot actual golf....
Nike actually makes all of Tiger's clubs, clothes, shoes, and golfballs. Just about the only thing they don't supply him with is a putter (because he won't stop using his old magic one...).

And through this deal, Nike has gone from being a nobody in golf equipment (except clothes), to one of the top brands in the world. Probably worth the 150m US over 3 years or whatever they paid him...

Tiger makes about 100m US per year all told. about 10% of that in prize money, the rest is sponsorship. Nike, Buick, Accenture, previously AMEX....not sure about Oakley though. But, he doesn't get to ride full suspension MTBs down rock strewn mountainsides at blinding speed with no body armor, so there's always a trade-off. :D

·
Registered
480 Posts
Wow, and I thought I'm just so unlucky not to afford the bike that I want, I feel so envious to people asking about how the new frames/forks perform because their current one is "6 months" outdated, or because they probably don't like the current decals for these year's model! The "SHOW OFF" threads makes me even more sick! It should be show off your DH/FR funded by parents thread.

·
Is flexy
1,559 Posts
darkzeon said:
Wow, and I thought I'm just so unlucky not to afford the bike that I want, I feel so envious to people asking about how the new frames/forks perform because their current one is "6 months" outdated, or because they probably don't like the current decals for these year's model! The "SHOW OFF" threads makes me even more sick! It should be show off your DH/FR funded by parents thread.
HUH? How is this related to this thread?

2nd point: I'm pretty sure a lot of guys posting "show off" threads have jobs and pay for their stuff. It is a crazy concept... you work hard to buy nice stuff. I worked in a shop to afford all of my bikes before I graduated college and now buy stuff with money I work hard for as do a lot of people. You should complain less and work more.

·
Lord of the Chainrings
2,925 Posts
Not nearly enough!
That's why they still live at home with their mom and dad.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.