Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
161 - 175 of 175 Posts

·
always licking the glass
3,429 Posts
I already ate my words but thank you
Were they tasty? ;)

There’s a bunch of companies that manufacturer in house, so maybe building a list of them isn’t a bad idea.

Since this is an intentional forum, I’m also curious about Canadian made and EU made since we get a bunch of folks from those areas posting here.

·
All fat, all the time.
10,147 Posts
Yeah but we adapt I have a feeling that this is going to start some new revolutions in production in the United States cheap and good quality can happen in our country
I don't disagree, as after this mess, the past year I've been trying my best to buy local vs cheapest overseas stuff.

Every once in a while you get lucky.

Every once in a while you pay double.

Not everyone will care to do this.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
164 Posts
Were they tasty? ;)

There’s a bunch of companies that manufacturer in house, so maybe building a list of them isn’t a bad idea.

Since this is an intentional forum, I’m also curious about Canadian made and EU made since we get a bunch of folks from those areas posting here.
You may have meant international forum. But I think your idea is an excellent one. The challenge will be confirming the list of sources and products. Too many responses would be "I think they do" or "They used to build in the USA." That and the content is a mixed bag of tricks. I work for a manufacturer in North America and every component of what we assemble comes from China yet we are allowed to label it "made in the USA."

·
Elitest thrill junkie
37,476 Posts
While it might seem tempting in the short term to move production to the US for US markets, in reality what is likely to happen is that by the time a company puts all the time and money into an US facility, the supple chain bottleneck eases up and that US facility can no longer compete with off shore facilities.

Plus, its not like all the shortage problems are do to factors outside the US. We have our own supply chain issues.
Yes. Companies don't want to just sell domestically, they want to compete internationally. Boeing doesn't just want to sell airplanes here, they want to sell airplanes all over the world. But if they do all of the manufacturing here, then an Airbus becomes cheaper and those other airlines will by the cheaper plane. There's no simple solution.

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
Yeah but we adapt I have a feeling that this is going to start some new revolutions in production in the United States cheap and good quality can happen in our country
I don't think it will be a revolution so much as a transition to US manufacturing. I think it will be driven by ever-higher energy costs. I also very much doubt it will be cheap. At some point, it may too expensive to move bits and pieces around the world due to the energy costs involved.

I also highly doubt that anyone will believe me on this.

·
Registered
102 Posts
So long as there is a desire to screw workers by sending their jobs overseas where unions are not allowed the ongoing death of made in America will continue. I worked in IT and saw workers with 20 or more years of experience having to train their replacements in India and China and Taiwan. Why pay an American workers $50K when you can pay someone in India or China $20K to do the same job?

The problem is that so much manufacturing expertise has been forced out of the U.S. workforce that the only thing we are good at making are weapons of mass destruction and their delivery systems. Even then there are labor cutbacks with the UK in the process of having a new super carrier built that will need a crew of less than 700 as compared to more than 3,000 for U.S. war ships.

Where manufacturing is not disappearing is in Germany and Sweden where they are smart enough to keep the good jobs at home and only farm out the low tech and low skill jobs. Germany also has legalized "co-determination" that forces companies to put workers on their boards. The Germans saw how their top industrialists financed the Nazi Party and now believe it is better to have workers in the loop.

·
Registered
164 Posts
So long as there is a desire to screw workers by sending their jobs overseas where unions are not allowed the ongoing death of made in America will continue. I worked in IT and saw workers with 20 or more years of experience having to train their replacements in India and China and Taiwan. Why pay an American workers $50K when you can pay someone in India or China $20K to do the same job?

The problem is that so much manufacturing expertise has been forced out of the U.S. workforce that the only thing we are good at making are weapons of mass destruction and their delivery systems. Even then there are labor cutbacks with the UK in the process of having a new super carrier built that will need a crew of less than 700 as compared to more than 3,000 for U.S. war ships.

Where manufacturing is not disappearing is in Germany and Sweden where they are smart enough to keep the good jobs at home and only farm out the low tech and low skill jobs. Germany also has legalized "co-determination" that forces companies to put workers on their boards. The Germans saw how their top industrialists financed the Nazi Party and now believe it is better to have workers in the loop.
Such anger. You need a hug.

·
Disgruntled Peccary
3,208 Posts
And people want the technology, for the absolute lowest cost. We do it to ourselves.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Literally proven in another thread, about a knock off of a well known made in the US item.

Reactions: Shark

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
10,400 Posts
What I find incredulous: People pumping gas in sight of each other with one place being being 20 cents higher per gallon; or stores that I have found to always have higher prices with people buying the very same product for more; the justifications as to why they do the aforementioned.
I only buy Chevron or Shell Gasoline for my motorcycles and cars. I only get the cheap stuff if there is no good gasoline available. Not all products are the same. So yes there might be an Arco with gasoline $0.20/gallon cheaper than the Chevron across the street, but the quality of the Chevron Gas blows that Arco crap out of the water and is worth the extra cost.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
10,400 Posts
You mean to tell me that out of all the people in your field working today and all the people in or finishing schooling for your particular field that you still can't find enough people "qualified enough"? Sorry but I don't buy it. The 'not enough people qualified' excuse gets used over and over for all kinds of things and it's purely BS IMO.
My Hospital has 800 open positions across all area's of employment, many of the spots being for skilled workers, IT, Nursing, Facilities, and some for un-skilled labor. It is not BS. There are a lot of people not willing to work right now.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
10,400 Posts
So, that was a mess. I guess I missed this thread when it was hot a month ago. Instead of handing out warnings for all the political non-sense I just spent 20 min pruning out all those posts and anything else that is de-railing the main topic.

Since it was brought up, I think it would be good to have a dedicated thread on where bikes and parts are made. I am going to start one and sticky it to become a resource.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
10,400 Posts
Okay, I got it up and pasted in some info I pulled from this thread:

Please help contribute what you know and provide web links to establish where something is being made.

161 - 175 of 175 Posts