Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The subject title is a loaded question.

What i'm looking for is people to put a price on various aspects of 'worth'

e.g , your bike may have been £$xxx when new, but you may have spent as much in upgrades, but that doesn't have to mean it's worth that should you sell it, or it may be worth more in the second hand market, and my main question should you choose to answer would be ,how much is it worth to you? The age of your bike could be a major factor in varying prices, also consider if you got some top end components along the way for a steal, but were obviously worth alot more , you might have robbed an XT chainset or mech from an old bike for instance

My bike

New 16 years ago - I think was in the region of £500 GBP

I purchased it 1 year old for £50 from a desperado

I reckon the most i'd get for it now would be £100, more likely £50 , unless I found an enthusiast and then I could maybe get £150

I've thought hard about this, considered factors like its original value, cash spent on the bike in 15 years of riding it , and the type of bike I would need to replace it, and to me, and me alone, my bike is worth in the region of £1000-£1500

·
Nickel Havr
1,177 Posts
My bone stock Ironhorse is priceless to me...
My buddy offered to trade me a nicely upgraded GF Mamba 29er that had a higher retail price and I turned him down.

I don't really ride the Ironhorse anymore but I love it and will never sell it...

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I built one of my bikes, so it's pretty much priceless. I've sunk around $2500 into it not including the hundreds of hours it took to learn torch work, metal work, and finishing.

I have another bike that is worth more yet I hardly ride because it is rigid. As such it scares the bejesus out of me every time I wick the thing open a bit. It also beats up my elbows, hands and wrists. However it will become immensely more valuable to me in 3 weeks time when my wife and kids give me a suspension fork for my birthday.

Drew

·
Registered
410 Posts
Ive got 2 real MTB bikes...the others are cheap walbikes..the 2 real ones are a 2004 Marin Attack Trail..its a little heavy but I still ride it here and there..I paid $500 for the frame and spent a year building it up..I prolly put anywhere from $1200-1500 into it...its a good bike..a bit heavy..its more of a all mountain bike...kinda overkill for around here (Piedmont NC)..it was my first real MTB..I'd say I could let it go for $1K but I dont think I could ever sell any of my bikes...the next real one I have is a 2005 Marin Mount Vision that I got off of Ebay for $900..it was a pure steal..it looked like the thing had never been ridden..I love it cause its a very light bike and climbs very well...I could maybe part with it for $1K as well...but I cant part with any of my bikes no matter how crappy some of them are.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have a 2004 K2 zed 3.0. Bikepedia says its msrp was $550. I found it in a dumpster and have a total of about $36 into rebuilding it so far and most of that was paint supply's. It needed a front skewer and tubes to be rideable but could really use some new pedals and grips. Those are my next purchases. I'd imagine I could get maybe $150 or $200 if I sold it but to me it's worth far more than that cause I have a lot of time put into it and I love how it rides!

·
SS Pusher Man
7,623 Posts
They are only worth what someone is willing to pay for them.

However, for insurance purposes, all my paperwork shows they are worth quite a bit.

·
since 4/10/2009
35,320 Posts
to replace my bike with something new with similar performance - probably a minimum of $2500, maybe even $3,000. That's only counting the cost of parts upgrades I've put into it from stock. That does not account for inflation, hence the "minimum".

If I were to sell it as a whole bike, I doubt it'd fetch $1,000 because the frame is a 2003 model year aluminum bike with only 4" of travel that doesn't compare quite so favorably to modern FS trail bikes. If I parted it out, I would most likely get more for it because the newer parts would fetch higher prices on the market.

But it's worth a lot more than that to me right now because it's pretty well dialed for me after years of fine tuning it, and it's been solidly reliable.

·
How much further ???
2,371 Posts
My mountain bike is worth a lot.

Its worth my health. It the only real form of exercise I do because I love it so much. Ive been able to lose 15 lbs since riding again and hope to lose another 15 lbs. My blood pressure is good and I feel like I have more energy throughout the day.

Its worth my sanity too. With all the crazyness of the world mountain biking is the only time I feel I can truely escape. For 90 minutes I have no worries other than the trail in front of me. No mortgage payment, no taxes, no crappy government, no bills, no traffic, no job, no boss, no pathetic paycheck, just me, my bike, and the trail. The world seems so peaceful, so simple when out in the middle of nowhere. I cant imagine my life without mountain biking, so yes, my mountain bike is worth a lot.

·
Content from my avatar
4,355 Posts
My mountain bike is pretty near worthless, by any accepted standards. It's a 2006 KHS Alite 300, with a ghetto-ass tubeless and singlespeed conversion. Everything except the pedals, saddle, seatpost, and grips is stock. The original fork is dead, especially after my move up to Reno. It's traded its vertical movement for fore-and-aft movement instead. Not good.

But I love that bike. It's what first got me into riding, and I'll probably end up dumping a couple hundred dollars more into it, just to get a new crappy fork, and maybe some new crappy wheels and brakes if all I can get is a disc-only fork.

And, well, I like racing my beater singlespeed against all these shiny, carbon, full-suspension 29ers. The hipster in me rejoices at that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had bought a 2009 GT Aggressor I loved that bike. I paid about $400 for the bike I had to sell it because I can no longer ride it. To me that bike was priceless because when I was a teen I had a brand new 99 GT performer all black and it got stolen from me. and I really missed that bike even to this day I miss it.

so it was like I was reliving my youth with the Aggressor because the color was that dark silver.

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
My Bontrager race quite was priced at $2400 in 1995 and I purchased it on sale for $1400 in 99. Over the years I've gone through numerous drive trains, wheel sets, cranks............ In 2009 I totally refurbished the bike including a new powder coat, carbon cranks, hand built DT Swiss wheels with King hubs and lots of other goodies. I spent about $2100 and used up a lot of favors.

I built up a Yeti Arc for my son when he was racing; handbuilt wheels, XTR, carbon fiber. It can be valued at nearly $5000. I spent about $2600 in the development of this bike. He does not race anymore.

In both cases the frames from different periods in the evolution of mountain biking have been built up just about as well as possible. Absent some fantastic development in mountain biking one would be hard-pressed to improve upon these bikes.

We have road bikes, single speeds, BMX, peters as well. My son and I were talking just the other night about the Yeti and the Bonti and he agreed there was no point in ever selling them.

Attachments

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
I don't think I could get more than 3 grand for any of mine but to me they are priceless just from the benefits and enjoyment that I get from them.

·
Registered
8,198 Posts
Brand new in 2008 probably $6500 canadian.

Now if I were to sell it, even though it is in very good shape with very fresh parts on it, I would be lucky to get $1500. Not much of a market for 4 years old carbon 26inch hardtails.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.