Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i recently came across a 21'' handjob frame.

2500 dollars later i had a completed rig with tubeless mavic rims, juicy 5 disc brakes, a raceface xc crank, x.9/XTR derailleurs, a marzocchi bomber fork with remote lockout, and the list keeps on going.

the only 'cheap' component was the 20 dollar ARS saddle, because i like how it feels.

is that overkill for a hardtail?

·
= dirt torpedo =
1,210 Posts
are you a total beginner?
then yea.. may be a bit overkill, unless you don't know what to do with your money :p

general rule of thumb is, get a mid range bike.. 600-800 bucks for a complete build.. ride the heck out of it, learn skills and figure out what you like in a bike. Then retire it to commuting duty (or single speed it), and build up your dream ride with all the goodies.

if you're not a beginner, then hell no.. that's not overkill at all
i just built a 2800 freeride/jump hardtail.. funnest bike i've ever been on

have fun with it

·
Registered
54 Posts
You only spent too much if you cannot afford it, and your family did without for bike parts.

"Junior's teeth look fine. His smile gives him character. Hey, you want to see my new Bomber fork?"

What is expensive to one person, isn't to the next etc. If you can afford it, and you enjoy it, cheers to you.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
blender said:
are you a total beginner?
then yea.. may be a bit overkill, unless you don't know what to do with your money :p

general rule of thumb is, get a mid range bike.. 600-800 bucks for a complete build.. ride the heck out of it, learn skills and figure out what you like in a bike. Then retire it to commuting duty (or single speed it), and build up your dream ride with all the goodies.

if you're not a beginner, then hell no.. that's not overkill at all
i just built a 2800 freeride/jump hardtail.. funnest bike i've ever been on

have fun with it
no, i ride xc about 4-5 miles a day.

i rebuilt a friend's stiffee for half that price a few years back, and sold it, but the only thing that shocked me was that with all new parts, quality parts at that, i was looking at about the same cost for a hardtail as some specialized epics.

·
= dirt torpedo =
1,210 Posts
i think building a bike from scratch will always cost more than buying a complete package..
i tried very hard to get the best prices on every component, and just couldn't get cost of the build to be below a certain number.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Uhhh, I guess I'll be the lone dissenter here and offer my opinion.

Arguments about "as long as you can afford it... etc" notwithstanding, a bike that cost that much money should be ridden more than 4 to 5 miles a day. Shoot, that's only 35 miles per week.

Send me that bike and I'll take care of it for you until you're knocking off 20+ mile rides a few days a week

1 - 6 of 6 Posts