Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Please be quiet and ride!
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering how much is the licensing fee for a manufacturer to use the specialized FSR patent. I currently ride a giant AC1, and I just wanted to know if it is the cost per unit that keeps them from using it on all of there 4 bar frames. It seems that the patent is a product just like anything else that Specialized sells, and they have lost an account with Intense's decision to use VPP. I'm also curious why Giant, Kona, and other companies of reasonable stature do not wish to spend the money on the patent if it is available to them. Is the issue that Specialized does not want to license the patent to some other companied that they veiw as a direct competitor?

Thanks for the info??

BB

·
Registered
92 Posts
its probably to do with the fact that not everyone things 4-bar is an advantage.
Ventana for one do not use them because it produces more flex in the rear triangle and the designer doesn't feel that Faux-Bar is any worse for climbing/bob/etc. which a lot of people will agree on..... some people dont find the brake jack noticable either.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I heard

Bikebrain said:
I am wondering how much is the licensing fee for a manufacturer to use the specialized FSR patent. I currently ride a giant AC1, and I just wanted to know if it is the cost per unit that keeps them from using it on all of there 4 bar frames. It seems that the patent is a product just like anything else that Specialized sells, and they have lost an account with Intense's decision to use VPP. I'm also curious why Giant, Kona, and other companies of reasonable stature do not wish to spend the money on the patent if it is available to them. Is the issue that Specialized does not want to license the patent to some other companied that they veiw as a direct competitor?

Thanks for the info??

BB
I heard at one time that $4 bux per bike is the cost. Not sure if that changes much if you produce 50,000 bikes a year needing it, or 500. Remember I heard this from someone inside a company reluctant to pay it.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
DGC said:
I heard at one time that $4 bux per bike is the cost. Not sure if that changes much if you produce 50,000 bikes a year needing it, or 500. Remember I heard this from someone inside a company reluctant to pay it.
I heard the same thing form a bike manufacturer that does pay the fee. $4 sounds right.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
4 bux????

DGC said:
I will build my own!!!!!

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
No fee for Intense

Bikebrain said:
It seems that the patent is a product just like anything else that Specialized sells, and they have lost an account with Intense's decision to use VPP.
BB
Intense, Turner, Titus, and probably a few more, were helping refine Horst in the early days, and don't have to pay squat, but they do have to put on the silly FSR-Link stickers. Intense's choice to go with VPP had nothing to to with Horst licencing fees, they simply felt the VPP was a better design for their bikes. Of course, Amp doesn't have to pay either, should they ever start making bikes again.

Ole.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Nicolai and license fee

The German bike brand Nicolai charges 11,60 EUR Horst-link license fee from the end customers according to their price list (http://www.nicolai.net/04/download-area/txt/preise-dt-end.html).

They use the Horst-link on some of their bikes and they charge the license fee separately. I am not aware of how much they actually pay to Specialized.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.