Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Not sure what to type?
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm going to buy my girlfriend a bike for her birthday and have a chance to buy a 2003 Rockhopper for $225. I know the person that owns it and it's never been mistreated, however it's never had a tuneup or anything upgraded. So I know I will have to put new cables, brake pads, and probably a derailuer, cassette, and chain.

Or would I be better off just buying her a new Hardrock Disc for $460?

I don't want to sound like a snob but I haven't looked at entry level bike since I started riding back in 1995.

Thanks for the help!!

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
It's her bday. If it was my gf, and the choice was within reach, it would be the new one. She'd also appreciate it, and you would too. It's a new shiny clean bike. Anything that goes wrong with the used one, she's coming to you and blaming you, from adjustments, irregularities, to even quirks inherent in all bikes. A new one gives you and her piece of mind and I'm sure she'd appreciate it more as "hers", along with it coming with a tuneup plan.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.