Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the love of mountain biking, how much $$$ have you spent this season (or any) on bikes and related parts/accessories, not forgetting biking clothings, repairs and maintenance cost.

Since my return to mtbr 6 months ago, mine is a little over $2500. One brand new bike, 2 used ones off eBay and lots of upgradeable parts. And then I'm still looking for more nicer stuff.

:D

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
lauck said:
For the love of mountain biking, how much $$$ have you spent this season (or any) on bikes and related parts/accessories, not forgetting biking clothings, repairs and maintenance cost.

Since my return to mtbr 6 months ago, mine is a little over $2500. One brand new bike, 2 used ones off eBay and lots of upgradeable parts. And then I'm still looking for more nicer stuff.

I am very pathetic but on the brighter side, I finally feel I have the bikes I want and see my current stable as the only one for a long, long time. Here is my pathetic chronology over the past 6 months or so to make you feel better about your disease :)

* Finished building up new 23.5 full suspension w/ disc XC race bike about 5 months ago. Valued at over $5000, just sold it 2 weeks ago after only 6 rides.
* Upgraded my trailbike with new fork and wheelset that of course I did not need.
* bought a new road bike a little over a month ago, sold it after one ride (don't ask).
* bought a used single speed off of ebay a little over a month ago, definitely keeping it though.
* just placed an order for a new single speed valued at much more than single speeds were intended to cost.

here are the corresponding pics in order of the above for what it is worth.

cheers

Attachments

·
I dig trails!
5,608 Posts
I have to say that I just realized that one of the reasons I love this sport is because I can tune, tweek and meddle my equipment all the time. For me it is half the fun.

Tweak it and try it.

As to how much I have spent this season... I would rather not put a number to it. For my sanity. But when I think about cost to benefit ratio I am happy with my sport. I could be going to an enclosed space with a bunch of people working out because "they have to".

I buy and sell, so I can't really put a number on it. $500? $1000?

Mr. P

·
I dig trails!
5,608 Posts
FoShizzle said:
* Finished building up new 23.5 full suspension w/ disc XC race bike about 5 months ago. Valued at over $5000, just sold it 2 weeks ago after only 6 rides.
* Upgraded my trailbike with new fork and wheelset that of course I did not need.
* bought a new road bike a little over a month ago, sold it after one ride (don't ask).
* bought a used single speed off of ebay a little over a month ago, definitely keeping it though.
* just placed an order for a new single speed valued at much more than single speeds were intended to cost.
Dude. My wallet needs you as a friend.

I just learned that the "it" product that I obsess over, will not be the "absolute" solution. And I am ok with that. (Part of my 12 step program...) Just keep me tinkering and I will be happy.

Mr .P

·
Registered
23 Posts
well since i am a new rider i might had spent more because i need to get all the extras and what not........but as of right now i have spent about $1,900.........and when its all said and done ill be at around $2,250 or so......but the bug has deff. bitten me!!!!

·
MTB SOCAL
1,456 Posts
Not as bad as Fo Shizzle

I got back into mountain biking about 1 year and a half ago.
Since then, I spent $4000 for an 03 Intense Spider, bought a used 01 Schwinn Straight 6 and build it up (spending about $1200) and sold it, bought a 03 Titus Quasimoto DH frame and built up a DH bike (spending about $3500), bought a 03 Titus Quasimoto 6" frame for a trail bike (spending about $3000), and bought a 05 Banshee Scirocco and am planning on building it up (so far, spending about $1900). Here's a few pics. I don't think I will be buying any more bikes for a while - unless I get into road biking.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I hate to even come to terms with this question.

Since it was asked and I already figured it out in my head...$6,300 in bikes [Ventana X5 and Trek 2300] and an average of $100-200/mnth in gear, accesories, upgrades, nutrition, parts, and/or magazines.

I knew I should have taken up golf.

Attachments

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
shiggy said:
After 22 years of mtbing I do not even want to think about how much I have spent on bikes.
c'mon you party pooper....at least summarize your last year of frivolous spending...I'll bet you spend in tires in a year what I spend on bikes :p

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
yangpei said:
I got back into mountain biking about 1 year and a half ago.
Since then, I spent $4000 for an 03 Intense Spider, bought a used 01 Schwinn Straight 6 and build it up (spending about $1200) and sold it, bought a 03 Titus Quasimoto DH frame and built up a DH bike (spending about $3500), bought a 03 Titus Quasimoto 6" frame for a trail bike (spending about $3000), and bought a 05 Banshee Scirocco and am planning on building it up (so far, spending about $1900). Here's a few pics. I don't think I will be buying any more bikes for a while - unless I get into road biking.
I don't know.....you sound pretty "bad" to me :) I think you and I need to start an UGI-anonymous Chapter for sure

·
Go faster
321 Posts
Bike - $4500 (ti hardtail)
Riding gear - $300 (bib shorts, jerseys, socks)
Tubes - $15
Chain & Cass - $75
Chain Rings - $80
Nutritional suppliments - $30
race entry fee's - $1200
add an extra 100 for the stuff I forgot about

·
Registered
71 Posts
Geez. It's been a light year for me so far...

1,100 on a dual... (Gary Fisher Sugar 4+)
450 on K2 Zed 3.0 Hardtail
120 on race fees
150 on gloves, gear etc.

So I'm still below $2,000 for the year so far!

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I bought a new (used) road bike and built a singlespeed for about $1200 each so far this year. Those and some random equipment purchases probably have me near the 3K mark.
I'm probably done for the year though except for race fees, travel to events, and nutrition.
I don't buy new bikes all the time. Hell before this year the last new bike I bought was in 1995.

·
my girl rides also
650 Posts
multiple thousands.....and that's since about Sept. New Banshee, new hardtail, both built up piece by piece....not the way to go if you want to do things cheap. Still want a SS as well as a fixie. It never ends, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.....

·
We want... a shrubbery!
550 Posts
Since February: (when my Stumpy Pro was stolen)
$3300 building up an Epic--spent literally almost two months straight shopping around online for deals and getting parts (saved 2100 though!)
First two races for this season: 200ish? (12 Hours of Lodi and 24 Hrs. of B. Bear--and that's just for the registration...)
I have a feeling this is going to be an expensive summer... on a college kid's budget (and Yes, I worked for all the above and damn proud of it--I didn't use the parent's plastic!).

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
cost too much but I like it

I don't even want to think about this topic because I will have a heart attack if I start adding the cost.
2 bikes: stumpjumper FSR 2003 upgrade to $3000
rockhopper: upgraded to $2000.
2 bike shoes: shimano 58, Lake 545 shoe
2 lycra shorts: 1 expensive PI short, 1 MEC short cheap
2 jerseys: MEC jersy, 1 Specialized team jersey
2 pair of socks
1 tight
1 floor pump
1 hand pump
1 shock pump
1 windproof jacket
1 windproof pants
1 Giro forgot name
1 specialized S1 special edition Domina Vacanze
1 PI winter glove
1 specialized full glove attack glove
1 Complete First Aid kit from Adventure Medical kit
1 Whistle
2 hydration packs: medium pack, 1 Xlarge pack for long trip.
3 JetLite Halogen lights: 2 handlebar lights, 1 helmet light
1 Benchmade folder survival knife
1 Li-ion rechargable aluminum tactical flashlight as backup.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.