Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Kona Process 134 Supreme
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah, this is a dumb thread...but I just really got into mountain biking this year and mtb festivals (i.e., demos) were all canceled, and I've never ridden anything other than my 2016 Kona Process 134 Supreme, and I'm really curious:

How different are the newest bikes? In particular, would a new bike with similar specs feel very different? Has suspension and geometry progressed that much? Or, to put it another way, have the compromises between travel and, say, climbing performance gotten smaller? Or am I still pretty much riding a bike that could come out today?

I know it's subjective and someday I will do some demoing, but in the meantime, thoughts?

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Honestly, the first generation Process 134 is still very similar to the geometry of bikes today. I'm still rocking my 2014, and it still stacks up to other brands newer bikes. The same design as we ride was discontinued only last year. Kona was selling as an SE version, since they had redesigned the entire Process line (and for the worse, IMO. I rented a 2nd generation Process the year after release, and it was a heavy ass tank compared to how nimble the first generation is). Aside from that, some designs have changed on bikes overall. Hub with has since gone wider. 12 speed with gigantic 50+t cogs in the rear are the norm. More travel on forks. Wider rims. The Process was one of the first bikes that started the longer, slacker trend. Keep riding it.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
My first real mtb was a '14 Kona Process 134

A great bike.

A little heavy & steep up front.

Today, still the most playful bike I've ridden.

Re, today's crop of bikes - seat tubes have gotten real steep.

Sat on a friend's Kona ESD & with seat down it felt kewl with seat up it felt weird

Cockpits have gotten roomier (with seat slammed).

OEM tires are getting more durable.

Fork offset has gotten smaller, to negate longer cockpits.

Suspension has gotten beefier.

People stick things inside their tires that aren't tubes!?

Mountain bikes are morphing into similar looking beasts, where the travel numbers are becoming the defining factor for the steeds application.

Find a bike that suits you and ride it like you stole it

Sent from my HD1900 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
988 Posts
Basically, your Process is insufficient for anything besides pavement. You need a 2021 model, stat. Better yet, a 2022 model.

Nah, just ride it. Without looking up the specs of your particular bike I’d assume it’s still in the ballpark of current trends. Maybe consider an angled headset to slacken the head angle a degree or two. Maybe a fork with 10-20mm more travel (and higher quality, assuming yours isn’t already).

I still ride a 2012 bike. Geometry-wise, it is right in line with modern trends, aside from the insane reach numbers which have gotten out of hand. It still shreds with the best of them.

·
Registered
Kona Process 134 Supreme
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just to clarify, I'm not itching to get rid of it or anything. I'm more just curious because it's the only mountain bike I've ever ridden, so I have no basis for comparison.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I own a 2020 134 and really like it. The only other Kona I can compare it with is my 2013 Satori. The 134 is long, but it doesn’t ride long. In fact, last night I cleaned a super tight uphill switchback than many other riders didn’t. The 134 is very progressive as well, which I also like. It rides supple over the smalls, but it firms-up over the fast and rough. Basically it’s the first bike I’ve owned that I feel comfortable riding with sag that also won’t blow through the travel. Don’t get me wrong, I still love my Satori, but the 134 is an improvement. The only thing that bothers me with the 134 is the seemingly lower ride. I hit my pedals often. The 134’s BB height is not that much different than the Satori’s, but I chalk-up the pedal strikes on the 134 to riding with greater sag on a longer bike.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Geometry of the 2016 Kona isn't far off a 2021 Trance 27.5 (says more about the Trance 27.5 than the Kona, though).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts