Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
We get titles?
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every headset I've ever used had sealed cartridge bearings. I'm building a ss from 90% spare parts, but had to buy a headset and cheaped out with a WTB momentum comp. The bearings aren't sealed cartridges and clearly need grease. I put a reasonable, conservative amount of grease in there, but now, thinking about it, I'm wondering if i should have loaded it up?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I usually load the bearings up pretty well. It takes a bit longer for the grease to break in, but in my opinion it holds up better. Some people don't put that much grease in because they don't like the resistance all of it inside of the headset.

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
Don't be stingy with the grease.

·
Registered
10,033 Posts
i bet you could run one with no grease at all for quite a long time. the grease is really keeping the weather out, warding off rust and humidity.

if everything is lightly coated, you're good. less grease is going to squeeze out and possibly rinse away quicker, but you'll still be getting the protection you need. theres not a whole lot of movement going on in the headset.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
upNdown said:
Every headset I've ever used had sealed cartridge bearings. I'm building a ss from 90% spare parts, but had to buy a headset and cheaped out with a WTB momentum comp. The bearings aren't sealed cartridges and clearly need grease. I put a reasonable, conservative amount of grease in there, but now, thinking about it, I'm wondering if i should have loaded it up?
Pack the bearings full. Wipe off the excess after you get it together.

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
shiggy said:
Pack the bearings full. Wipe off the excess after you get it together.
I always do mine this way too.

If the water doesn't have anywhere to go, I think it's a lot less likely to get in there and start rinsing out the grease. I have yet to experience a negative consequence from too much grease in a bearing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts