Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys, my '04 Manitou Black seems to have died on me. After riding last weekend, I noticed sore hands (probably due to my death grip from this incredibly soft fork). I put the bike back together yesterday and realized the fork had basically leaked all its oil out the bottom. Upon riding my bike yesterday i realized its pretty much done for. The external rebound adjust no longer does anything, (doesnt adjust rebound), and the 90-120mm travel adjust knob which has worked fine since I had the bike is now shot. The whole uppers seem to have sank about 50mm, and be stuck on 90mm travel now. Appears to be only the springs doing work, and that the semi bath oil business is destroyed.

I mainly do trail/ All mountain riding, but occasionally ride downhill rides with friends, and am looking for something a little burlier.

In my mind I want to get something with 34-36mm stanchions, and around 140mm of travel. Definitely a good quality fork that is going to last me. I'm pretty bike savvy/mechanically inclined and willing to replace seals and change fork oil as needed.

Has anyone ridden forks in this Range and have one they absolitelt love, or would stay away from?

Also, my current wheel set is 9mm QR but my friend is selling me a set of mavic325 laced around dt Swiss hubs so I can convert them. (his bike is 20mm TA currently, and he is selling me when he purchases a pair of deemax wheels.)

Thanks,
Chris

·
And I'm out.
504 Posts
What bike are you riding? What shock is on it?

I would hesitate to recommend a fork not knowing what else I have to work with, as I prefer to keep a bike in the "best handling" department instead of the "looks great" department.... SO: whatcha ridin??

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What bike are you riding? What shock is on it?

I would hesitate to recommend a fork not knowing what else I have to work with, as I prefer to keep a bike in the "best handling" department instead of the "looks great" department.... SO: whatcha ridin??
Sure thing, I'm riding a Cannondale Jekyll. It has a Fox float RL shock between 4-5" of travel. The frame can take Steerer tubes up to 1.5", but currently has a reducing headset installed to accommodate the straight 1 1/8" from my fork that died. This was the factory fork/headset / shock. I replaced seals and float fluid in the rear shock and its working great.

I was wearing a camera last weekend, and will include a link. (I think my fork died between 8:30 and the end. Video starts out a little slow. Mainly trail riding, stuff like this, but also something that can handle the occasuonal downhill with my friends. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NMUDprc6Zfw

Edit: also not sure if it matters, but suspension, frame, and cranks/BB are all 10 years old (original). I am also running as a 1x9, and have replaced everything else on the bike

·
And I'm out.
504 Posts
I would think that the Fox Float RL fork or the RockShox Revelation would be good choices but that may be a bit pricey for you. I have an affinity for the Fox but I ride an RLC on an E100 chassis. The RS Reba is a bit shy on travel like the SID but RockShox has many forks in their lineup. Marzocchi, BOS and Suntour also make some good forks but you may find other things about them that you don't like.

·
Registered
984 Posts
35mm - RS Domain w/ coil u turn. It's on the heavy side but super durable.

32mm - RS Recon solo air or Sektor .

Also look around for OE takeoff Revelations. I think Jenson and bike wagon have run specials on them before so just look around.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks you two, I am really looking into the revelation that seems to be one that would be pretty perfect. The Fox float or talas 34 are also a few I've had a my eyes on. My lbs said they recommend rockshox because they're easiest to service. Luckily I'm not in a huge rush, and have a little time to find a good deal over the next month. Won't be able to get a Fox fork most likely unless I find a used one in great condition. If I can't find a decent price on the revelation my bike shop was recommending the rekon gold tk, but I think mostly just because it has the same specs as my old fork (stanchions, travel, 9mm dropouts), while I'm ideally wanting one of those tougher forks. Weight is not a big concern. I don't race, purely recreational riding.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Manitou has a loyalty program. You would have to go through a shop to set it up but would be well worth it price wise ie close to cost.

I would recommend the Manitou Minute Pro in whatever travel you desire. Comes in 20mm axle and is plenty stiff.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Manitou has a loyalty program. You would have to go through a shop to set it up but would be well worth it price wise ie close to cost.

I would recommend the Manitou Minute Pro in whatever travel you desire. Comes in 20mm axle and is plenty stiff.
Could you please elaborate a little more on Manitou loyalty program? Are you saying a lbs sellig manitou would price match online price? I will check out the minute pro in the mean time!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Could you please elaborate a little more on Manitou loyalty program? Are you saying a lbs sellig manitou would price match online price? I will check out the minute pro in the mean time!
Give Manitou a call for the details. But essentially you have to send in your old beat fork and they give you dealer cost on a brand new one of your choice.

·
Registered
150 Posts
You might look into the Marzocchi 55cr. Its a 170/150 internally adjustable fork. I ride really chunky stuff in AZ and this fork is butter! The 35mm chassis and 20mm axle makes it plenty stiff. What i really like is that its open bath and very easy to work on. The fork also comes with a 3yr no service warranty.

It is a little heavy, but for the performance and price, i'm not complaining about an extra 200grams. I paid 525 on Jenson.

·
Registered
11,688 Posts
A xfusion sweep travel can be internally adjusted from 120-160 so you can tune, to some degree, the forks travel to changes in geometry/handling. The xfusion has a 15mm thru QR. Before buying your friends wheelset make sure the DT hubs are convertible b/c some are and some have limited compatibility. There's a compatibility chart on the DT USA web site and if that doesnt work you can always call um.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts