Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Roamer
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone :D . How much is it for the base Lefty Max 140 upgrade to the SPV? I've got the base model but heard that it's possible to upgrade it. Feels good for now but would like more adjustability. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
TPC or TPC+?

Does your base model Lefty have a compression adjuster as well as a rebound adjuster? If so it is a TPC+ unit. Some riders are going from the SPV to the TPC+ damper, so you may be able to get one from them.

What is your Lefty doing/not doing that you do not want/want it to do?

·
Registered
538 Posts
Why SPV when you can TPC??

:D

Something for you to think about....

The TPC upgrade from FFD dealer cost for the parts is $75 because you don't need a new rebound Assy. You can do that install yourself.

I just did a FULL SPV to TPC swap this wkend and changing the rebound assy is not very easy.

SPV parts are not cheap.

TPC is my prefrence but you can find many folks that pref SPV. I think it depends on where you ride. East coast = TPC. West coast = SPV.

Now where did I put that kevlar vest???

·
Registered
538 Posts
edge said:
:D

Something for you to think about....

The TPC upgrade from FFD dealer cost for the parts is $75 because you don't need a new rebound Assy. You can do that install yourself.

I just did a FULL SPV to TPC swap this wkend and changing the rebound assy is not very easy.

SPV parts are not cheap.

TPC is my prefrence but you can find many folks that pref SPV. I think it depends on where you ride. East coast = TPC. West coast = SPV.

Now where did I put that kevlar vest???
When I say TPC I really mean TPC+..

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
FFD it is, then.

It sounds like the damper in question is a FluidFlow Damper.

The OP is in South Carolina, so it sounds like a TPC+ upgrade is in order, but it all depends on what is needed as far as the OP goes.

I am VERY happy with my 2003 Lefty Max TPC+ unit.

·
Roamer
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It has a rebound adjust knob on top and that's it unless you include the internal spring preload. What's the major differences between the two for a east to west preference? I just got the bike today and compare to what I've been riding it feels a little spungier. Even adjusted all the way. Felt good on the one test ride but it's raining here. Hit a few curbs but it's missing a little something. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
More supple on the top.

david8613 said:
i am an east coast rider with spv, just wondering what am i missing out on that the tpc has over spv?
at the top of the travel, the TPC unit is more supple than the SPV.

Some riders are finding the SPV damper to be harsh at the top of the travel. That is why the fellows say theat the SPV is great for the west coast. THe East typically has more rocky, rooty sections to deal with.

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,470 Posts
Thundermaxx said:
It has a rebound adjust knob on top and that's it unless you include the internal spring preload.Are you saying this to David? I ask, cause there are more differences than that. All Leftys have a rebound knob on top. TPC+ offers rebound controls on top, and compression controls on bottom, SPV changes the bottom end, in that you have an air chamber which allows you to create a platform in the fork, making it more resistive to pedalling forces, and also has an adjustment to allow you to make it moe progressive and resistive to bottoming out.

What's the major differences between the two for a east to west preference?Damion hit this one on the head.

I just got the bike today and compare to what I've been riding it feels a little spungier. Even adjusted all the way. Felt good on the one test ride but it's raining here. Hit a few curbs but it's missing a little something. Thanks for the help.
Are you saying you just SPVed it, or just got the bike? If you are a new owner, it's a very plush fork, take a little while and get used to it, if you mean you just upgraded, you may want to look at your spring rate, it may be too soft for your body weight.

·
Registered
538 Posts
MendonCycleSmith said:
Are you saying you just SPVed it, or just got the bike? If you are a new owner, it's a very plush fork, take a little while and get used to it, if you mean you just upgraded, you may want to look at your spring rate, it may be too soft for your body weight.
I think he's a new owner of a FFD fork.

·
Roamer
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
sorry for the confusion. I just got the bike, not the Lefty. I'll ride it for a little while and see before I go changing to much. I think for now I can adjust the sag and fix it up some.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Thundermaxx said:
sorry for the confusion. I just got the bike, not the Lefty. I'll ride it for a little while and see before I go changing to much. I think for now I can adjust the sag and fix it up some.
When you look at the bottom of the lefty do you see a blue knob, red air input or nothing but a black nut?

·
Registered
538 Posts
Thundermaxx said:
Theres only a large black hex on the bottom of it.
Ok, so it's confirmed then. You have a FFD compression dampener if your fork is a 2004+ Lefty 140 MAX.

I would highly recommend upgrading that dampener to TPC+ for $75. I can walk you through the upgrade once you have the parts. There are two of them (COMRESSION Dampener & knob). It's easy. You don't have to touch the rebound assy because they are the same for TPC+ and FFD.

SPV upgrades from TPC or FFD requires changing the entire rebound and compression assemblies.

Mendon has gone from SPV to TPC+ and can tell you his comparison after experience with both.

I've converted from FFD to TPC+ and can tell you that it's is well worth the $75. It's handles the rocky trails like no other dampener. It's so plush yet progressive and can be tuned using springs and oil wt.

·
Registered
29 Posts
tools to do TCP upgrade?

For anyone who has done the FFD -> TCP+ upgrade did it require any special tools? I'm comfortable adjusting every part of my Prophet but I haven't cracked open the lefty yet so I'm not sure what's involved. btw, I'm considering the FFD -> TCP+ upgrade as well. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.