Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going to start riding my old trail bike (giant Warp) again and noticed when I turn hard the wheel flexes and rubs the brakes quite excessively. What can be done to correct this? I have backed off the brakes a lot. The wheel is mounted properly and the fork is straight and solid. There is no clunking, looseness or harsh movement felt when pushing side to side on the wheel: just flex. Is it a matter of adjusting spoke tension? Or is there a preload adjustment within the hub? I have no experience with servicing either. I did not notice this last year when I quit riding this bike but have used the wheel and tire from this bike on my NRS for a wet muddy condition race and did not experience any problems.Appreciate some help.

·
Registered
329 Posts
robgreat said:
I was going to start riding my old trail bike (giant Warp) again and noticed when I turn hard the wheel flexes and rubs the brakes quite excessively. What can be done to correct this? I have backed off the brakes a lot. The wheel is mounted properly and the fork is straight and solid. There is no clunking, looseness or harsh movement felt when pushing side to side on the wheel: just flex. Is it a matter of adjusting spoke tension? Or is there a preload adjustment within the hub? I have no experience with servicing either. I did not notice this last year when I quit riding this bike but have used the wheel and tire from this bike on my NRS for a wet muddy condition race and did not experience any problems.Appreciate some help.
Usually I have to adjust the play in my cone nuts after a few months of riding a new wheel . . . especially the rear wheel. You can tell it's out of adjustment if the wheel wiggles side to side when you pull on it perpendicular to the spin direction. It's pretty easy to do but you'll need bicycle cone wrenches that are much thinner than regular crescent wrenches. You'll probably need 15 mm and a 17 mm wrenches, if I recall correctly. When you adjust them, make sure you don't overtighten the nuts or you'll prematurely pit the races and bearings. Also remember to re-grease the rubber seals covering the cone nuts.

There's a good on-line resource for more details.
www.parktools.com

Good luck.

·
College
1,198 Posts
robgreat said:
Just do some checks. To check for low spoke tension take it out and just feel for it. A properly built wheel should be rather tight. Try putting it down and putting lateral force on it and see if it deflects too much. The amount of deflection of a good wheel is not very noticable. If it does, then you probably need to retension them.

·
Registered
329 Posts
shiggy said:
It could be flex in the fork and/or swingarm.
And to add to that thought . . .

I just checked my friend's bike - he was complaining about a loose headset - it turned out that his quick release pressure was too low. Just dialed in the pressure a bit and all was good again.

I know it sounds dumb but sometimes stupid things happen . . . like when that shapely girl in the hot-pants saunters by in the parking lot. ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No there is no flex in the fork arms (front wheel) or headset and the quick release is tight but not over tight either. I was mainly concerned if spoke tension would release over time. It is a five+ year old wheel, I had just been using it is a spare and just noticed the movement when I reinstalled back on the original bike. I had used that tire to race on so it is possible it sustained some kind of damage but no broken spokes or anything that I can see. Thanks for the suggestions though.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
robgreat said:
No there is no flex in the fork arms (front wheel) or headset and the quick release is tight but not over tight either. I was mainly concerned if spoke tension would release over time. It is a five+ year old wheel, I had just been using it is a spare and just noticed the movement when I reinstalled back on the original bike. I had used that tire to race on so it is possible it sustained some kind of damage but no broken spokes or anything that I can see. Thanks for the suggestions though.
The same wheel does not rub in your newer bike but does in the old bike? Not the wheel.

What is left? Brake adjustment and fork/swingarm flex. Fork flex is very common while riding.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry Shiggy

I didn't describe the situation accurately, the last time I used it was for a very muddy race so I may not have noticed the brake rubbing noise, after that I took it off and didn't use it. I don't know if it could have been damaged during the race, wheel is straight though. And I have backed the brakes off a lot. My guess is bearing adjustment and I will try that first when time allows.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.