Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

How much does your offroad SS or fixie weigh?

• I had my spleen removed because it was dead weight (20 lbs or less)

Votes: 13 12.5%
  • My inner weight weenie is limited by my budget (20-25 lbs)

Votes: 59 56.7%
  • I'd rather ride a heavier bike than carry a light one (25-30 lbs)

Votes: 24 23.1%
  • I'm a beefcake, weight is of no consequence (30-35lbs)

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • If it fell on me, I'd probably die (35+ lbs)

Votes: 2 1.9%
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So how much does your primary offroad SS or fixed gear weigh?

I'm just curious because it sounds like some of your steeds are pretty hefty. I just purchased a surly that tips the scales at 32 pounds :eek: and I hate it. I have a feeling that I may be a weight weenie and just didn't realize it. I just figured I'd post this poll to confirm it :) .

Thanks for voting,

Gabe

·
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
8,847 Posts
22-23 depending on tire choice. about 23 right now. steel frame, air fork, disc only, light disc wheels. some light stuff, but some stuff not so light, but that i like, and won't change. it's 5-8# lighter than my geared rides usually run, depending on tires again. very noticable difference, but this one isn't meant for taking quite the same beating, either.

Attachments

·
try driving your car less
3,097 Posts
with or without me sitting on it?

honestly, I dont know, never weighed it. but I would guess low 20's judging from other peoples numbers and bikes.
Merlin fat beat, so sub 3 lb headshok on a ti frame, but straight guage tubing
xtr Vs and cranks and stuff.
ENOized
monkeylite bar (dumbest MTBR inspired purchase ever,waste of money over aluminum bar, and i am always worried about it breaking).
oury lock-on grips, which i guess are heavy. and i have a bash guard.

·
Candlestick Maker
3,561 Posts
gabe0807 said:

I'm just curious because it sounds like some of your steeds are pretty hefty. I just purchased a surly that tips the scales at 32 pounds :eek: and I hate it. I have a feeling that I may be a weight weenie and just didn't realize it. I just figured I'd post this poll to confirm it :) .

Thanks for voting,

Gabe
21.5 lbs right now. I've had the bike lighter, but for just kicking around I go w/ heavier tubes, heavier tires, and my 3 piece bmx crankset.

baker

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
gabe0807 said:

Thanks for voting,

Gabe
I do not know what my bike weighs. It also changes all the time depending on the current setup. Just by changing the wheel/tire setup it can vary by as much as 8 pounds.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Gee wiz...and i thought my 27 lbs 1x1 was alot. How the heck do you have a 32lbs Surly? What is your set up?

What you need to make a 27lbs fixie:

Surly 1x1
Psylo SL
Thomson stem and post
King headset
WTB ti saddle
XTR brakes and levers
Titec Hellbent
ODI Oury's
RaceFace Turbine's square old skool
Candy SL's
Paul hubs on 3.1 rims and FAT 2.3 Spyders UST's

She's my downhill rig!!!

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How did I get 32lbs? well....

Surly 1x1 frame
Zoke MX Comp Fork
Double Wall riser bar
Berzerker Saddle
Platform pedals
Hayes haydraulic front disc/XTR vee rear
Rhyno Lite Rims
Motoraptor 2.4 tires

32lbs is according to my bathroom scale so its not 100% accurate but it just feels heavy. Don't get me wrong, it is a riot on the flats or pointed downhill, but going uphill is just bad news even with my new lowered 32x18 gearing. It looks like I"m just a sissy though :D .

·
Appalachian Singletrack'n
1,444 Posts
Dean Ti EBB frame
King/ VXC - 2.5 Weirwolf / 2.3 Survival Protection
Thomson all around
Avid Mechanicals pulled by Love Levers
XTR Cranks/ACS spider/ Spot ring, PC7X
Salsa Pro-Moto bar, ODI lock-ons, Cane Creek ergos
Flite
Frogs
King TI Cage

23.5 Lbs. with Marathon S (coil)
21.5 Lbs with Surly Instigator

I’ts not the lightest but its solid and I don’t worry about anything breaking.
I am not so much a weight wienie my weights are from a not so accurate bathroom scale.

·
Registered
330 Posts
My singlespeed racer is around 18 lbs right now

That's my lightest. Rocky Mountain Vertex Team Scandium, SID, Explorer SS, Crossmax SL wheelset w/ Eclipse tubeless, Carbon bars and post, Avid Ultimate brakes with Kooka levers, XTR cranks, Boone ring and cog, twin ti Eggies. Lotsa light stuff on this one, and it climbs like a rocket.
My training/endurance race bike weighs about 20 lbs right now. That's with a steel frame and an ENO eccentric hub, SID with lockout, and carbon/light parts all around. It is still reliable for 100 mile rides, though.
I'm surprised more of you don't have lighter singlespeeds. It makes things a lot more fun and FASTER! I'm sure there would be less maintenance time if I added weight, but I would rather win races and spend more time learning how to tweak my gear.

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
17 pounds....

gabe0807 said:

Thanks for voting,

Gabe
Those that know me realize what a fanatic I am about the weight of my bikes. My SS weighs in around 17 pounds. The Ti chain ring bolts and the drilling I did to the CF seatpost made all the difference. I've filled my super lightweight tubes with helium in order to further reduce rolling weight. I'm considering drilling out my bars in order to help shave a few grams. I'm replacing the wheelset with a pair of custom built Ciriums tubeulars with the goal of getting my bike to a sub 16 pound blinglespeed.

·
Registered
66 Posts
SS/Fixee weights...

SS: Merlin Mountain, rigid, ENO'd, Monkeylite, Thomson....I'm guessing right around the 20lb mark. Could be lighter, but what's the point. So much easier and cheaper to take it of my beergut than out of the bike.....

The fixee (roadie) is another issue: 80's Motobecane, steel rims, Brampton (Eng) flipflop r. and fr hubs, flipped and clipped bars, diacompe front brake. The thing's gotta be like 25+ pounds. Way heavier than my SS.....

1GB

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.