Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
baggin ho's
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This thread stems from my truth ride.
How much does your mkIII weigh?
What major things did you do to drop the weight?
How did you derive the weight figure? i.e bathroom scale, sink or float, teeter totter, throwing it off the stairs and counting the bounces
Thanks

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
2005 MKIII 19" frame with FSA headset and 5th Element Air
100mmx6 WTB stem (127 grams). 4 spacers with headcap
660mm Titec carbon 1.5 c3 riser, foam grips
Thomson post
SLR ti saddle
2.4 WTB Mutanoraptor front (550 g), 2.1 IRC Mibro rear (520g)/1.5 presta tubes f & r
Black 717/black revolution spokes/silver alloy nips with WTB Disc Lite rear hub and Dimension 20mm front (Control Tech ti rear bolt-on)
XT 760 crankset/bb 175mm, XT 760 11-32, SRAM chain
XT 4 piston discs and 160mm rotors
Crank Brothers Eggbeater 4ti pedals (167 g claimed)
2006 Pike 454 Air U-Turn
SRAM X.O rear trigger, Gripshift twist front
SRAM X.O rear D, Gen X front D
Regular Shimano housing

And then I throw on a 8 pound Camelbak full of crap, a battery light and a cell phone. :p

·
...In the meantime.
218 Posts
* Frame Size & Color: 19” Iron Horse MK III Expert, Light Blue, 2005
* Fork: 2006 Marzocchi Z1 light ETA (20mm thru-axle), 150mm travel
* Brakes: Magura Louise FR 180mm front and rear, Dangerboy levers
* Cranks: Raceface Atlas 175mm/silver
* Front Derailleur: SRAM X-gen
* Rear Derailleur: SRAM X-9
* Shifter(s): X-9 twisters
* Pedals: Crank Bros. Candy SL
* Stem: Thomson Elite 90x6
* Handlebar: Azonic DW riser 2”
* Seatpost: Thomson elite
* Saddle: WTB Rocket V ti
* Bottom Bracket: Race Face X-type
* Cassette: SRAM 990
* Headset: FSA Zero-stack
* Grips: Yeti Shorty lock-ons (compatible with X-9 twisters)
* Front Tire: Kenda Blue-groove 2.35
* Front Rim: DT Swiss 5.1
* Front Hub/Skewer: Hope pro II thru-axle
* Rear Tire: Maxxis Larsen TT 2.35
* Rear Rim: DT swiss 5.1
* Rear Hub/Skewer: Hope pro II/Hope skewer.
* Weight: 32 lbs.

Hey whatdya know, Sh!tmano free…

·
Black Lion
4,431 Posts
2005 19" Expert
Pike Coil fork
Fox AVA shock
Hayes 9 Carbon brakes
Thomson X-4 stem and seat post
Kona DH bar
XT Hollotech II cranks w/ E-13 bash
Mavic Dee-Trak Wheels
Maxis Minion 2.3 tires
Time Z pedals

Bike weighs 33+ lbs

I built this bike to be bulletproof not light.

Attachments

·
baggin ho's
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
westin said:
2005 MKIII 19" frame with FSA headset and 5th Element Air
100mmx6 WTB stem (127 grams). 4 spacers with headcap
660mm Titec carbon 1.5 c3 riser, foam grips
Thomson post
SLR ti saddle
2.4 WTB Mutanoraptor front (550 g), 2.1 IRC Mibro rear (520g)/1.5 presta tubes f & r
Black 717/black revolution spokes/silver alloy nips with WTB Disc Lite rear hub and Dimension 20mm front (Control Tech ti rear bolt-on)
XT 760 crankset/bb 175mm, XT 760 11-32, SRAM chain
XT 4 piston discs and 160mm rotors
Crank Brothers Eggbeater 4ti pedals (167 g claimed)
2006 Pike 454 Air U-Turn
SRAM X.O rear trigger, Gripshift twist front
SRAM X.O rear D, Gen X front D
Regular Shimano housing

And then I throw on a 8 pound Camelbak full of crap, a battery light and a cell phone. :p
how much does it weigh?

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
g-funk said:
how much does it weigh?
I THINK 27.5 pounds.....because when I tie the bike to my girlfriend's 27 pound Pug and hang them both from our salmon/sturgeon scale, it reads 54.5 pounds.

I'm kidding. I dunno how much it weighs. Never bothered cuz I don't race it; it doesn't break so I figure it weighs enough.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
g-funk said:
This thread stems from my truth ride.
How much does your mkIII weigh?
What major things did you do to drop the weight?
How did you derive the weight figure? i.e bathroom scale, sink or float, teeter totter, throwing it off the stairs and counting the bounces
Thanks
g-funk
30-31 lbs weight w/2 carbon water bottle mounts. I know probably getting a little annoying me rubbing that in.

Continental Gravity & Vertical 2.35 lighter than the stock 2.25 Panaracer Cinder tires.

Swapped Elite seatpost for Truvativ team. Big chuck of unneeded aluminum, not a knock just over kill for me.

Slime lite 2.1 tubes.

I don't use clipless just use the Wellgo shin shredders type pedals / cheap & light. Better for bailing out if you have to / not into cartwheeling with a bike attached.

Don't think I lost weight probably gained a little WTB Speed saddle.

Used a UPS shop scale only reads to the pound but is accurate. No bottles, seat pack or pump when weighed.

Happy trails!

Attachments

·
Harky
159 Posts
Bronc...we've definitely gotta hook up soon on our look-alike bikes!!
Nice pic!! ...looks like somewhere in Dreeamy Draw??
Accdg to my bathroom scale, mine weighs in at 32-33# including the seat pack. All stock except for the XC Pro 2.1 in front in place of the Cinder (a little lighter)

·
Registered
556 Posts
broncbuster said:
g-funk
30-31 lbs weight w/2 carbon water bottle mounts. I know probably getting a little annoying me rubbing that in.

Continental Gravity & Vertical 2.35 lighter than the stock 2.25 Panaracer Cinder tires.

Swapped Elite seatpost for Truvativ team. Big chuck of unneeded aluminum, not a knock just over kill for me.

Slime lite 2.1 tubes.

I don't use clipless just use the Wellgo shin shredders type pedals / cheap & light. Better for bailing out if you have to / not into cartwheeling with a bike attached.

Don't think I lost weight probably gained a little WTB Speed saddle.

Used a UPS shop scale only reads to the pound but is accurate. No bottles, seat pack or pump when weighed.

Happy trails!
Hey everyone I am looking at getting an MK3 from a consignment shop and I would like to set it up with a Pike and a fox or swinger like some of you. The bike I'm looking at has a 120mm fork on it and a RS Aerio right now. How do you like the bike with a pike on it? Also does anyone know if the mounting hardware for rock shox is the same for either manitou or fox?

Thanks
Oh yeah , is this frame strong enough to take some abuse?

·
Harky
159 Posts
The frame should be able to take any abuse that you can dish out provided that you're not a DH Clyde! It's designed for All Mountain type of riding...ups, downs, some jumps, some fast XC... It's not perfect for any one of these endeavors..but a good compomise for all. I love mine!
Can't speak to the hardware compatability of fox vs manitou on the shock. someone else probably will.
I can tell you that the RS Pike 454 U-Turn is an awesome fork for this bike. It makes me want to throw my 120mm TALAS in the trash!! It is super plush over the little stuff, handle the big hits without complaint and is easily tuneable. I have to admit that I don't use the travel adjust (U-Turn) feature...I just poke the nose of the seat into my pooper and start climbin'. No problems keeping the front wheel down...
What fork is on your bike, now?? You may want to ride it as-is for a little while and see if it suits you before you pour more money into it.

·
Registered
556 Posts
harky said:
The frame should be able to take any abuse that you can dish out provided that you're not a DH Clyde! It's designed for All Mountain type of riding...ups, downs, some jumps, some fast XC... It's not perfect for any one of these endeavors..but a good compomise for all. I love mine!
Can't speak to the hardware compatability of fox vs manitou on the shock. someone else probably will.
I can tell you that the RS Pike 454 U-Turn is an awesome fork for this bike. It makes me want to throw my 120mm TALAS in the trash!! It is super plush over the little stuff, handle the big hits without complaint and is easily tuneable. I have to admit that I don't use the travel adjust (U-Turn) feature...I just poke the nose of the seat into my pooper and start climbin'. No problems keeping the front wheel down...
What fork is on your bike, now?? You may want to ride it as-is for a little while and see if it suits you before you pour more money into it.
Well I already have a Pike and I won't need to spend any money on parts.

I checked the website and it lists the rear travel as 5inches. Is this right?

Right now I have a ProphetMX2 and I'm not happy with the forward single pivot setup. I saw this MK3 Comp for sale for $1350CDN used and it's in excellent shape except for some cable rub. I ride three times a year in whistler, the rest of the time on the shore and I want a lightish strong 5.5 to 6" bike as my only ride. The ProphetMX fits this profile but like I said I don't like the pivot. If I could set up the MK3 the same it could be a nice ride

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
yogreg said:
2005 19" Expert
Pike Coil fork
Fox AVA shock
Hayes 9 Carbon brakes
Thomson X-4 stem and seat post
Kona DH bar
XT Hollotech II cranks w/ E-13 bash
Mavic Dee-Trak Wheels
Maxis Minion 2.3 tires
Time Z pedals

Bike weighs 33+ lbs

I built this bike to be bulletproof not light.
Nice ride!

Is your E-thirteen Bash Guard size 104mm 32t Max
or 104mm 36t Max?

My middle ring is 104mm 32t. I would like as much clearance as possible
is it a good idea to get a little larger size than the 32t max? Like a 34t max.

The e-13 looks like the way to go any idea about how much it weighs. Has to be lighter than aluminum I would think.
Thanks in advance!

·
Black Lion
4,431 Posts
broncbuster said:
Nice ride!

Is your E-thirteen Bash Guard size 104mm 32t Max
or 104mm 36t Max?

My middle ring is 104mm 32t. I would like as much clearance as possible
is it a good idea to get a little larger size than the 32t max? Like a 34t max.

The e-13 looks like the way to go any idea about how much it weighs. Has to be lighter than aluminum I would think.
Thanks in advance!
my e-13 is a 32t
e-13's are either 32 or 36

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
yogreg said:
I was able to lower the derailleur only and almost exactly 1/4" any more than that and bottoming out would bash dwl on the derailleur / don't know if it was worth all that trouble, looks better though. Didn't shorten the chain / can always use extra on the trail in case it breaks.

Thanks again!
bronc

1 - 20 of 20 Posts