Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
stock dawg

I havn't bought a Dawg yet (coming soon), but I test rode a bone-stock 05 Dawg and I had the dealer weigh it on their scale. It came out to about 31.5 lbs.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Kona..One of the few that post bike weights

I have a Dawg Dee-Lux on order and Kona has a spread sheet on their site that lists the Dee-Lux at 28.8 and the Dawg at 30.7. Here is the link

http://www.konaworld.com/tech/technical_downloads/documents/2005_Bike_weights.xls

I would guess the weight would be for the medium size frame from within the series. I would say the biggest contributor between the two is the fork. The Fox on the Dee-Lux weighs only 3.5 lbs and I have to believe the Marzocci is heavier. Kona may not build the lightest bike but they do build them tough. :D

·
Registered
450 Posts
I've got an 18" '03 Dawg Dee-lux that weighs in at 30-31 pounds (depending on the scale). The only change from stock is that I am using a (heavier) Mavic F519 rim on the rear wheel instead of the Mavic 223, and a (lighter) XT rear hub instead of the stock deore hub. Net weight gain with this change was 0, so it's basically a stock bike, weight-wise. Oh, I also replaced the crappy seat with a WTB Speed V, which is probably a bit heavier then stock.

I think they were quoting 28.8 for the Dee-lux even back then, so that's either optomistic, or for a small frame. My front hub is about to die, I think (wierd noises), so I'm thinking I'll probably replace the original Mavic 223/deore front wheel with a lighter Mavic 317/XT. That may pull it under 30 pounds.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Who can you trust??

Like the old saying goes..."your mileage may vary". Over on the shock forum there was a post about weight of Fox shocks and someone posted that Fox listed the weight of a Vanilla lighter than the air series. Someone else dispelled that by qualifying that the Vanilla weight did not include the spring. :eek: Did the 03 Dee-Lux have the Fox fork currently used? Could be a difference maker. I'll be sure to post the weight of my Dawg as soon as I get it.

·
Registered
450 Posts
LeopardDog said:
Like the old saying goes..."your mileage may vary". Over on the shock forum there was a post about weight of Fox shocks and someone posted that Fox listed the weight of a Vanilla lighter than the air series. Someone else dispelled that by qualifying that the Vanilla weight did not include the spring. :eek: Did the 03 Dee-Lux have the Fox fork currently used? Could be a difference maker. I'll be sure to post the weight of my Dawg as soon as I get it.
My '03 Dee-lux has a Fox Float R Fork and Float R shock. No lockout on either one. A friend, who owns a bike shop, tells me that the 05 frames are ligther then the previous versions, though he didn't say how they lightened them up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.