Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do most of my own work on my own bikes. I am mildly surprised by the cost of doing maintenance. I maintain three bikes for my family.

An average annual tune up for me usually means over 100 bucks in parts. Thats for new drllr cables, a fresh bottle of brake fluid, new pads, shock seals and (normally) new tires. Every other year, the brake seems to need rebuilds (lever/caliper), might need to replace suspension bearings, chain, chain rings, cassette, drllr pulleys, grips wear out or turn dog earred and the odd DU bushing.

Theres likely a few more Im forgetting. But with three bikes, i sometimes shudder when I put a bike on the repair stand. Not complaining, just talking about my observation.

·
Never enough time to ride
1,575 Posts
Depends on the year. Average I go through a couple chains, sometimes three. If I keep up on the chains I'm usually good with the cassette through the next season, typically pull 2 to 3 seasons or roughly 3000 to 4000 miles on a set of rings (again if I keep up with the chains). Been pretty lucky with brakes, had to replace the square seals in the rear Juicy 7 this year so I did the MC at the same time and a set of pads in a season. Couple back tires in a year. A set of cables, plus what ever misc. stuff wears out in between. I'd say I average anywhere between $150 to $300 in a year to maintain my main ride. And maybe $75.00 average for the two other bikes.

Expensive sport, but still cheaper than some.

happy trails...

squish

·
Registered
213 Posts
nothing. unless I bend or wear out something. I can do most of my own work except bottom brackets and head sets. I probably could by the special tools but can't justify the expense. Over the last 4 years riding once a week 15+ miles, I bled the brakes once, broke one chain, replaced the rear sprocket once, grips once, chain rings once, cables twice and bent deraileur hanger about 1 or 2 every year. Never replace the tires. although the rear was getting low and starting to slip.

I believe that the most important maintenance is cleaning the bike after every ride, including lubing the drive train and making any adjustments. Mearly cleaning the bike would solve most of the bike maintenance issues. At my LBS almost every bike for tune ups, were never cleaned, lubed or were left outside or never ridden.

The first year of riding seriouse single track I made the mistake of throwing the bike in the garage uncleaned, un-lubed and wet. After sitting in the garage for two months, It never felt the same. it needed a complete tune up, brakes bled, and cables cleaned and lubed.

·
Ride Instigator
3,220 Posts
I probably avg about $200/year for my MTB, much less for mine and my wife's road bikes. The last expense was a freehub assy for my King hub at $160+a couple bombers I bought for my buddy for lending me the King hub tool to do a rebuild.

Oops, forgot about the crankset and chain I replaced a month or so ago. Okay, maybe it's closer to $500 for this year...and worth every last penny!

·
Registered
222 Posts
It just depends on how many miles you plan on putting on your bike. If you dont ride it all year, then it will be really cheap to maintain. If you put 10,000 miles on it a year, then you will probably be dishing out a couple hundred depending on how good your components are in the first place.

If you wrap upgraditis into your maintenance costs like I do, then it will be a lot more. :D

·
Registered
206 Posts
I don't ride hard enough often enough these days to worry about maintenace costs.

from 1990 to 2000 I dread to think what we were spending, we were breaking chains,cables and bending wheels every other day

Alot to be said for the poster above , cleaning ,lightly lubing and tweeking after every ride solves alot of common faults like cable and chain wear, but it's hypocritical for me to preach as i'm fairly lazy on that front.

You can't really budget for crash related costs , bling and uneccesary upgrades don't count either :D.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Expensive sport, but still cheaper than some.
It can be ALOT cheaper than some.

For instance I am a goalie for ice hockey, and all those pads cost a small fortune!

Skates: $350 (replaced every year)
Pants: $320 (Every 2 years)
Under Armor: $170 (Every year or 2)
Cup: $50 (Every 2 years)
Knee pads: $80 (Every 2 years)
Leg Pads: $1,450 (Every 2 years)
Chest Protector: $320 (Every 2 years)
Catching Glove: $420 (Every 2 years)
Blocker Glove: $305 (Every 2 years)
Helmet: $400 (Every 4 years)
Other "minor" accessories: $150 (Every year or 2)

Estimated total cost of equipment: $4,015 (for around every 2 years)

Not to mention the cost of actually being able to play... $3,200 (For 2 different teams every year) :eekster:

Thats alot of dough! Hopefully now my parents wont have to pay for my college tuition :skep:

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just as I thought, it costs a pretty penny to ride a pretty bike. I thought I was over doing it, but it seems I'm way below the curve :)

·
Registered
706 Posts
jeebus senior blonde, what does that 1500 include?
My trailbike gets the biggest miles so it's the vast majority of that. I'm actually well over $1500 this year. Maybe double. This is where I stand for this year at the moment:

6 air sleeve services and fork seal replacements/fluid changes (still not meeting factory recommended service intervals) $60 each time= $360
4 chains @ $40 =$160
2 Cassettes @ $100= $200
Chainrings $80
15-20 Cables and ~4 Housing replacements =At least $120
4 Tire sets =at least $380
2 Pivot services @ $50 =$100
Misc Bearings (HS, BB, Hub, Pedal, etc) at least $100
a Saddle $150
Grips $20
Derailleur Pulleys $40
Chainguide Idler Pulley $20
DOT, Lube, Grease, Stans, etc = at least $150

WOW $1880 That sucks. Thanks for making me add that up.

EDIT: This is just the trailbike. The FR, MTNX, and BMX bikes double that total

·
The perfessor
806 Posts
i do most of my own work - bought my own tools just for this reason..........I don't spend much, maybe $100-200 per year............

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Most of my mileage is on the road bike so I don't actually wear all that much stuff out on the 2 off road bikes. I've got 2000 km or more on the IGH bike and the chain probably needs changing although the IGH did get a grease and oil bath a few months back. The regular bike got new pads and a chain last winter. I also rebuilt both its hubs, relaced the wheels and lubed the freehub. My only suspension fork got fresh oil, and one set of pedals got a bearing adjustment and grease. A couple years before I put new rings on the cranks that are now on one of the bikes. Aside from crashing and breaking stuff I'd say I'd probably spend maybe 300 a year for all 3 bikes.

Drew

·
Registered
4 Posts
I usually do my own work on the bike and help out friends when they need it. However, this time I broke my frame and I cannot find a replacement part! New frame w/o repair as an option.:rolleyes:

·
slow
6,865 Posts
2-3 chains a year, 1-2 tires, 2-3 tubes and 1-2 bottles of lube, 1 patch kit, all bought on sale. Maybe $100-150.

My soft tail doesn't have pivots or rear seals and wipers to worry about. Seals and wipers on fork just now needing replacing after 3+ years on this bike. Seal kit and oil under $50 and doing my own labor, so add $15 / year.

As long as the chains keep being replaced, the chainrings and cassette do not wear much. Just replaced front brake pads after 3+ years, so add another $6/year.

Fortunately I don't suffer from upgradeitis and, aside from chains, only replace things that break or wear out. Usually do about 2000 to 3000 dirt miles a year.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Road bike - tires monthly $140.00 x 12
Cables twice a year $55.00 x 2
Handlebar tape $40.00 x 2

Mtb...TBD

·
Registered
960 Posts
I don't ride competitively so it's very cheap for me. Besides my Fly is less than a year old and I haven't broken anything yet. Just a few upgrades - stem, carbon bar and seat, is all I've spent on it.

Compared to my last vice, cars - bicycles are dirt cheap. I don't even want to think of the coin I dropped on my rescue Impala. Alu-head LT1, fresh 4L60 build and 3.42s in a Torsen II rear axle. That was just the first year.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I thought I was way under the curve, but after I added all the upgrades, sadly I win at spending the most.
after buying expensive top of the line bikes, I decided to save some cash and bought a left over KHS AM2000 for $1000. It would not hold any adjustments, dropped chains and I could never dail the forks. I ended up replacing every thing to get it the way I liked. New forks/wheelsets,rotors, pads, crank, deraileur, seat and post. total cost with frame 2500,my LBS gave me a deal on parts, it was under the price of a top bike, but the frame was still a cheapo.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts