Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
It weighs 32+ lbs, and its perfect for aggresive cross country

I weighted an Enduro Pro on a lame spring scale at the shop and it was 32 on the nose, so the expert is probably just a little more, which I've heard elsewhere so I'm confident in that. It feels lighter when riding because its so incredibly stiff, and you can close the valve on the rear shock to up the pedal efficiency a ton. I test rode a Stumpy 120 also (and a Demo 8 for that matter) in a hilly / obstacle strewn environment, and the Enduro and Stumpy are very very different rides due to the angles, but remember that you can change the angels on the Enduro to steepen the angles by 1 degree - I think by installing a different shock mount the effectively raises the BB. The Stumpy suspension is fine, but it doesn't inspire the aggro confidence the Enduro does.
They had an Enduro Trail SX too which feels to be 40lbs plus. I've seen mention of them as being nearly the same weight as the regular enduros...not even close. The SX wasn't much different than the Demo 8...just much more efficient pedaling.

-K

·
Registered
312 Posts
MBR Mag puts Enduro Elite (Expert in euro talk) at 32# w/o pedals...that's with Nixon

First off, I guess the regular Deore stuff might be a full pound heavier. You could go to a site like speedgoat.com where they have an easily navigated menu of products and post the weights, so you could compare compentry to the gram there.

The info in the title comes from the new issue of MBR I happened to pick up. They reviewed the Elite version, which is basically the Euro Expert, and stated it being 32# w/o pedals with a Nixon Elite (stated by Mantitou to be 4.6Lbs) - so with the Fox 36 on the US version it would be about 3/4# heavier, so you were right on earlier...about 33lbs. Note that the bike I rode at the shop had silly plastic test pedals on it too, so that lighted it up. The Expert also has the version of the 36 that doesn't have the low end compression adjustment, so that would save some weight, although I don't know how much. I think I'm getting the Pro, but can't say at all for sure whether I'll really make good use of the low adj stuff. I don't even know how they factory set the regular R version, but I would bet its towards the plush side.

Anyway, this is more than you asked about, but you might notice this is the first thread I've posted to, so I don't have tired fingers. I've read this site for HOURS, so its good that I can supply something helpful to someone else.

-K

·
Registered
312 Posts
...and the MBR review

duh, you might be pleased to hear they loved it, although it was noted that the nixon was a shorter fork than the Fox 36 (the bike was ridden in Nov/Dec) so although they judged the bike too twitchy for freeriding they think the 36 would fix that. They claimed it was 69 with the Nixon (didn't say if they measured it themselves), meaning if that WERE true the head angle with the 36 would be even less. All I can say is that it was way slacker than a Stumpy, as I noted during my Demo/Enduro/Stumpy test string...all in a row just for kicks. btw, Ride a Demo 8 if you can just to experience...its retarded (in a couchy, perfect for doing things you really shouldn't kind of stuff).
As for steepening the Enduro angles, I'm betting I would do it for a day I just want to since cruise fireroads sometimes here in NorCal.

The review did note they felt the bars were a bit too low, which is light of their "Demo 6" comments make sense. I'm 6'1.5" and also want a higher bar for comfort/stability, so if you're tall you might feel the same way.

-K

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
I just picked up my Enduro Expert this weekend and I'm very impressed with it. I used to ride a Stumpy 4" last year and changed to riding a Big Hit w/ a Super T (7") almost exclusively. The steering seemed really quick (almost squirrely) compared to the big bike, but I would assume that if I were to ride a Stumpy right now, not only would I break it, but would be throwing myself off if it steers even more quickly than the stumpy. This bike is a very confident descender and competent climber.

I agree with the bars too low statement as well as I will be changing to a shorter stem. I'm 6'1", but the Large still seems a little streched out with that longer stem, but I use this bike for light-duty freeride, so if you want this bike for Agreesive XC, then the stock configuration would probably be fine.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I measured the HTº to be 66.5º, this was with a digital angle finder and based on the average of two measurements with the bike facing 180º for each reading. This was also with a Sherman Firefly fork but that fork is within ~5mm a-2-c as the 36 at 150mm so that figure should be the same.

The bike rawks, get one!

Here's my S-Works...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.