Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im in the market for a new hardtail and im looking for something under 25 pounds but i have no weight referance, a full standard size water bottle would clue me in, does anyone know?

·
AKA Dr.Nob
887 Posts
Please somebody correct me if I'm wrong (and I'm sure they will)

1 litre of water weighs 1 kilogram. Standard water bottles are about 650ml so (I am just guessing here) somewhere around 700 grams (roughly 1.5 pounds).

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
darkest_fugue said:
im in the market for a new hardtail and im looking for something under 25 pounds but i have no weight referance, a full standard size water bottle would clue me in, does anyone know?
Wait...are you trying to figure out how much a bottle of water weighs or are you trying to gauge how much 25 pounds feels like?

In other words, what does the weight of a water bottle have to do with buying a new sub 25# hardtail?

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
darkest_fugue said:
Find a shop with a scale (many have them). Hang a bike on it. Then pick up the bike. You have your reference.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no i just wanted to know the difference between a pound or 2, the only think i could think of for a referance was my water bottle

·
govt kontrakt projkt mgr
6,171 Posts
you are in luck! every full sized standard water bottle on the market that I know of weighs much less than 25 pounds;) :D

darkest_fugue said:

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
darkest_fugue said:
no i just wanted to know the difference between a pound or 2, the only think i could think of for a referance was my water bottle
A pound of water in a bottle by itself feels much different than an extra pound on a bike.

Pick up your bike.

Then pick up a full bottle.

Now put the bottle on the bike and pick up the bike.

Also, a 25 pound sack of flour will feel heavier than a 25 bike when you pick them up.

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
shiggy said:
A pound of water in a bottle by itself feels much different than an extra pound on a bike.

Pick up your bike.

Then pick up a full bottle.

Now put the bottle on the bike and pick up the bike.

Also, a 25 pound sack of flour will feel heavier than a 25 bike when you pick them up.
The hardest part is tipping up the bike to take a sip from the bottle when the bottle is still on the bike.

Does a bottle of milk feel heavier than a bottle of water? It does if that bottle of milk is in one's belly. Hmmmmm...

·
Registered
171 Posts
no it doesnt nat. the milk would be all sloshy. i would know.

i just had a glass of chocolate milk. yum....

yes. anyways, milk in the stomach weighs about 7% less then milk in a bottle. because you already drank the flavour, so it gets released into the atmosphere.

for sure.

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
D4ng3r said:
no it doesnt nat. the milk would be all sloshy. i would know.

i just had a glass of chocolate milk. yum....

yes. anyways, milk in the stomach weighs about 7% less then milk in a bottle. because you already drank the flavour, so it gets released into the atmosphere.

for sure.
Does the milk jiggling around in my guts make it froth like a cappucino?

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the reason was the lightest hardtail available to me here is the new stumpjumper m5 which weighs in at about 23 pounds with a 17 inch frame, i cant demo the bike i have to pre order it out of my shop so i cant feel the weight of it, all i wanted to do was get an idea of the weight difference between my 07 xc comp which at a guess weighs a little over 28 pounds to a 23 pound hardtail, im thinking there will be a noticable difference

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
darkest_fugue said:
the reason was the lightest hardtail available to me here is the new stumpjumper m5 which weighs in at about 23 pounds with a 17 inch frame, i cant demo the bike i have to pre order it out of my shop so i cant feel the weight of it, all i wanted to do was get an idea of the weight difference between my 07 xc comp which at a guess weighs a little over 28 pounds to a 23 pound hardtail, im thinking there will be a noticable difference
5 pound difference is most definitely noticeable.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Nat said:
Does the milk jiggling around in my guts make it froth like a cappucino?

most definately. be careful though- starbucks will sue your ass if they catch you undermining their business.

·
sonoranbiker
503 Posts
Water weighs 2.2 lbs per quart. That's all I know (I used to backpack a lot).

Or just find another bike that you know weighs sub-25lbs and pick it up.

·
Bikesexual
7,568 Posts
I thought I clicked on the weight weenie's forum. Never even thought of this.

·
Cycologist
8,659 Posts
Is this answer a 10 year old thread week?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts