Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious to know what the average All Mountain bikes weigh. I have a Heckler that I have lightened up to make it more of a AM/Trailbike and gotten it down to 30.5lbs. When I started it was about 35 lbs. It gets expensive very quickly to drop weight and still have duralble parts.

What bike do you ride and how much does it weigh?

·
Registered
195 Posts
I own a Banshee Wraith, and i`m sure it weights more than 32lbs. When i`m climbing i know i could have a lighter built, but honnestly i prefer not to know the exact weight.

·
Calm like a bomb
3,539 Posts
Turner Highline. Put it on the shop scale last night, 35.18 lbs.
Good for 20 mile rides
Good for 20' hucks.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Leader 626 S

My Leader full suspension rig runs an '03 Z-1 Freeride and weighs in at 35 lbs.

·
person
684 Posts
Kona Bear

really its more of a trail bike, but it always makes me laugh when I pick up my buddies BLT and it weighs 2lbs less than my bike. My bike is setup with air shocks, but its got Mech discs and that kona frame doesn't help much;) ...oh but I Love the beefiness.:)

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
my AM bike feels perfect in most regards and is now at 35.7 lbs. Gonna put a chainguide on and bought some new tires which will put it at 38 lbs and it will be perfect for all day riding.

·
I like Monkeys
886 Posts
It's a little AM and a little XC. Early Christmas present from the wife, Yeti 575 Race disk, 29 lbs with pedals. Only non-stock item is my CK headset. Now if this 45 year old brain can get the guts to really ride it;)

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Err said:
Turner Highline. Put it on the shop scale last night, 35.18 lbs.
Good for 20 mile rides
Good for 20' hucks.
dude, that is pretty light. got any pics and build spec?

·
thats right living legend
6,360 Posts
Titus Moto-Lite...

31.83lb's it will be 32bl's when I put my regular rear tire back on today.

·
thats right living legend
6,360 Posts
Titus Moto-Lite...

31.83lb's it will be 32lb's when I put my regular rear tire back on today.

·
Registered
907 Posts
FoShizzle said:
sub 35 lb bikes are not AM bikes, they are XC bikes
If sub 35lb aren't AM, do we need a seperate trail bike thread? Because XC weenies wouldn't ride anything over 25lb. Maybe we could have categories for every 2lb increment. Then at 37lbs we could have a light freeride (LFR) class or would that be heavy all mountain (HAM); at 33-35lb we could have light all mountain extreme(LAME). Just think of what that would do for the marketing divisions of bike companies: the same frame with different components and weights could each be in a different class;)

Maybe I am just confused as to what the F is AM anyhow?

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
25 to 26 pounds

drapeado said:
I own a Banshee Wraith, and i`m sure it weights more than 32lbs. When i`m climbing i know i could have a lighter built, but honnestly i prefer not to know the exact weight.
I am on the light end of the spectrum, but my 2003 Spotty is very functional especially for my weight (155). It has 180/160 Disk brakes and 2.4/2.25 tires (front/back). Here's the details, add 0.5-0.75 pounds for grease and left out nuts and bolts. With a lighter 5" travel frame a sub-25 pounder would be very feasible.

BRAKES Brakes Complete Magura Marta (180/160 tuned alu/titanium) 690
DRIVE TRAIN
TNT Titanium BB 160
Race Face LP 170 mm with Sugino rings titanium/aluminum bolts 590
Pedals Frog (steel) 250
Rear Der Sachs Tuned alu 191
Front Der (tuned alu) 126
SRAM 850 11-32 260
Chain (SRAM PC99) 275​
CONTROLS
Grips 75
HandleBar Easton Monkeylite HR 165
Shifters (Sachs R cut and tuned alu bolts) 135
Shifter Cables (Clarks) 150
Stem 110 (Thomson tuned titanium) 180​
FORK Fox Fork Vanilla 130 (PUSH) 1810
FRAME
Medium Silver Frame (RP3/PUSH) (titanium kit) 2791
Seatpost collar (titanium bolt) 16
Chris King (tuned/titanium/home made carbon top cap 4gr) 120
Seat Post (Thompson) 230
Seat (WTB Stealth) 230​
WHEELS

Front+Rear Garcia/WTB 1580
Skwewers (steel non-quick release) 60
Tires (Schwalbe Big Jimmy+Nobby Nick) 1220
Tubes (Torelli) 260​
TOTAL (Kg) 11.56
(lbs) 25.47 :D :D

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Whambat said:
If sub 35lb aren't AM, do we need a seperate trail bike thread? Because XC weenies wouldn't ride anything over 25lb. Maybe we could have categories for every 2lb increment. Then at 37lbs we could have a light freeride (LFR) class or would that be heavy all mountain (HAM); at 33-35lb we could have light all mountain extreme(LAME). Just think of what that would do for the marketing divisions of bike companies: the same frame with different components and weights could each be in a different class;)

Maybe I am just confused as to what the F is AM anyhow?
agreed...there are not nearly enough labels for the various types of bikes out there. and what about a XC bike rider who has the skills to do aggro stuff....does that make his bike all of a sudden a Light FR bike?

·
Freeriding Feline
2,548 Posts
My Intense 6.6 weighs 36 pounds. Marzocchi 66RC2X, Kenda 2.35 and 2.5 tires, Fox DHX Air.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts