Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The UPS guy just dropped off some bling today.SRAM PG-990 cassette w/red aluminum spider. I really didn't need it, but I wanted it for the bling factor.Other PIMPTASTIC upgrades on the planning board: Sram PG 991 chain, XO rear derailluer,Dangerboy levers and 888 Direct mount stem both in Infa-red.

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
I'm sorta-saving right now for a new bike so I'm not replacing anything that doesn't need it. The only "bling" I might be inclined to add is some carbon fiber goodies but I'm not sure if I should get them given my 220lb weight :\. I usually only replace things as they fail - last night I got new tires with blingin full tread!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rkj__ said:
1. IMO a CHAIN is NOT "bling"

2. I don't spend money on "bling"
There's always one in a crowd.

YES your right the chain isn't bling ,but it goes along with the package so its bling by association.;)

·
Dented n' Spent
185 Posts
I try for zero dollars on "bling". If the most cost effective quality repair of a broken part just so happens to be annodized some funky color, then so be it - I don't count that as bling.

Then again, I am running 12 year old Pauls Love Levers - plain aluminum color... does it count as bling if it's old, not flashy, was purchased stricktly for it's performance, but is still a high-end component?

Ah well, $100 in 12 years ain't too bad either way.

·
Registered
330 Posts
In my head I spend like ten grand on the web every night on bike bling. Then I look at my mortgage and other bills and somehow usually the cards stay in the wallet. Not always though...

·
Registered
204 Posts
I spend money on things that will improve handling, stopping, fit, durability, or reduce weight. When I choose new items I do consider the appearance, but I never buy anything just for 'bling'.

·
Registered
243 Posts
sandblast said:
In my head I spend like ten grand on the web every night on bike bling. Then I look at my mortgage and other bills and somehow usually the cards stay in the wallet. Not always though...
R O F L !!! and Ditto !!!

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
I use parts until they break. I try to have replacements ready to go to switch on. 8 speed drivetrain with XT derailers, SRAM pc58 chain, whatever quality tires are on sale, etc. I try to keep everythign relatively clean and maintained. Nothing makes me happier than pushing my bike as hard as I can with everything working perfectly. I can't imagine myself ever worrying about how I can be like a "pimp" and bring my "bling". But hey, Vanilla Ice has his 15 minutes of fame, so if that's what you're into, cool.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
last year I dropped over a grand on Mavic Crossmax SL disc, XT casette, & Avid rotors. Ugghhh! But hey, they look pimptastic to me. Now I've got a "race" set of wheels and a "commuter" set.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
SOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRYYYYYYYY.
Maybe I should have said "Customize" Didn't get the memo that BLING shouldn't be used when describing new bike parts for your bike.I shall hang my head in shame:(

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
How much? I don't know. I don't keep track and believe ME, I don't WANT to know. :nono:

One of these days i'll go out and buy a bike off a showroom floor and not touch it (pffft, yeah right!), but untill then - BRING ON THE ANODIZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p :D

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.