Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Your bike is incorrigible
3,179 Posts
Why?!

Why must you bring up this issue!? I don't even want to think about it. 10-15 sounds about right, but I plan on getting my fat ass out more this winter. I figure I can maintain or gain maybe only 5 lbs if I work out and watch the ice cream intake.

(Of course, how many times have we said that? "I'm going to do something this winter!")

·
Registered
383 Posts
You Suck!!!!(Just kidding)
I just got back into biking this year. You mean the weight doesn't stay off even If we don't ride our bikes?........
I'm trying to stay with it but it's tough i only have been on the bike twice in the past two weeks due to weather.
I just finished cleaning up my basement and made room for the crappy fixed bike but, i have a tv and cable down there now So, maybe I will use it a bit more.
I also am trying to get some people together to motivate me to get out in the cold and also making it safer to trail ride at nite.
I'm a big wuss riding in the woods alone in the pitch dark( I have lights but they don't light up enough of the woods for my taste!)

·
NormalNorm
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep.every winter I say "less beer and more exercise", but it ends up being "less exercise and more beer". This winter I am going to try and at least break even.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
The last couple of years, I put on twenty to twenty five pounds during the winter. I lost at least twenty pounds this summer and I am at 205lbs which is my normal healthy weight If I am not weight training. I plan to keep my weight gain to only 5lbs or so this winter. Depends how much I drink and eat over the holidays.

·
I endorse self propulsion
159 Posts
usually around 10lbs. i always tell myself that i'm "bulking up" during the winter, and that i'll "trim down" in the spring and summer. it sounds good anyway.

·
Keep The Rubber Side Down
1,685 Posts
I usually put on around 10+. I'm trying to buck that trend this year by at least maintaining. I need to drop 15 to 20 anyway for velodrome racing.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I normally gain around 20 pounds. Usually during the winter my friends are too pu$$ified to get out and ride in the cold so this year I got me a Blackburn Trackstand Fluid Trainer so I can maintain my fitness level throughout the winter months. When springtime rolls around I plan on smokin' those beeotches on the climbs.

·
wannabe xc'er
29 Posts
high school

I am a junior in college now, but when I was in high school I went from about 155 in the summers to 190'ish during the school year, and then back down for the summers.
I wish I could get back to that 155.

Jason

·
Registered
326 Posts
I usually put on about 5lbs during the winter. Most of it around Christmas. The problem is over the past few years instead of losing most of it during the summer, I seem to keep a few extra pounds until the next winter.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Usually 10lbs.

Fortunately, I planned a vacation with the wife in South Beach for after Thanksgiving, so that gave me a reason to Go Commando in the gym in October and November - so right now I'm holding steady. I plan on going ballistic again starting this week, so I can finish with a net loss by January.

BTW - I've been getting some great workouts at this website:

www.crossfit.com

·
Daddy of 3 now!
261 Posts
putting on the pounds..

I must stop eating like a pig and get moving. Usually I'm about 10lbs heavier over the winter, but I just weighed myself this morning and was shocked at the numbers. 226lbs at 5'10 1/2. Up 18lbs since the end of the summer. uuuhhh!!! I hate my new look. It's so easy to get fat. No excuses, I've been just lazy. Gotta bike and hike..

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,891 Posts
Living in southern California, this is pretty much a non-issue. Some might argue that you can do more in the outdoors in the winter around here as the heat in summer can be as much a problem as the 'cold' of winter.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Weight Gain?

Normally I probably would put on 10 pounds and just not keep it off.

I checked my cholesterol last fall and it was 294! With a 1 year old I wanted to get in better shape to be here and spend a lot of time with him. Anyway, started going to the gym at work 4 to 5 days a week. I have lost about 45 pounds in the last year and now have goal to hit 185 by April (no more clyde!).

I am not selling it, but I like this Diet Power software. So far a great way to plan weight loss. Anyway, looking to lose about 35 pounds this winter. Holidays have been, but still on track.

Good luck,

Ken.

norm said:
How much weight do you follow clydes put on during the winter. I personally gain 10-15lbs every winter.

·
Suburban *******
398 Posts
Generally, I would go from a rather svelte (yet not quite clyde) 190 to about 205. Well, this year 202 was my low. Currently at 217.Gotta try to keep it down so i can get lower in the spring. Having little time to ride, plus a job where i sit for 40 hours is really messing me up. 5 years ago I got down to 180, was training in the gym, and was nearly fast on the bike. A rather serious leg injury and a kid (read: less time-but it's cool) have really hampered my attempts to get back to that form.
So I guess my answer would be 15 lbs. Of beef and beer.

·
Daddy of 3 now!
261 Posts
Hey Ken....

I am not selling it, but I like this Diet Power software. So far a great way to plan weight loss.
Ken.[/QUOTE]

What is the Diet Power Software? Please explain or post website,
thanks
Tony

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.