Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys think? How much money do top pros make?

I'm talking about riders like Sam Hill at number 1 -down to lesser top pros like Jared Graves and Duncan Riffle... or some middle ground guys like the Athertons.

What have you heard? I'm curious.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I was thinking that might be the way it is... if so that's pretty weak.

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
A lot of the big name pros (at least that I find as memorable), Steve Peat, Gracia, etc... probably make decent bank off of endorsements and all that stuff. However that door's been long closed or at least almost closed making it harder and harder for up and coming pro racers to get much money off of it (I mean aside from the real successful ones like Sam Hill and what not).

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
It's all about the sponcers, they are the ones that will make your day. If you have a manufacture sponcer like say Yeti or Trek you wont get beans because there is no major support here in the States. You have to husstle other sponcers for advertisment's to pay your bills & retirement. It aint easy.:D

·
Renegade of Krunk
604 Posts
I doubt there is very much money in it. Most of the sponsored riders make most of their money doing R&D work for the companies that sponsor them, mainly testing out parts and telling them what the pros and cons are. Those guys are doing what they love, they probably didn't get into downhill racing to make some bank.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
E30Evolution said:
I doubt there is very much money in it. Most of the sponsored riders make most of their money doing R&D work for the companies that sponsor them, mainly testing out parts and telling them what the pros and cons are. Those guys are doing what they love, they probably didn't get into downhill racing to make some bank.
word.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
E30Evolution said:
I had never heard this before. And while I think they might get a portion of their money might come from doing R&D, I doubt that is where they make most of their money.

As others have said, I think that most guys pull in money from their sponsors. In some cases that can be a lot, in others, not so much. I do remember reading somewhere that either Simmons or Schley were making like $1million per year off of all their agreements, and everything, total... But they aren't racers.

I'm really not sure what most racers make. I can't imagine it would be tooooo much, but I'd be interested to find out.

Edit- I just realized I said make money from their sponsors and that is pretty much what you said, but I don't think the majority of the money they get from the sponsors is for R&D. (But what do I know?)

·
Registered
143 Posts
matt said:
I had never heard this before. And while I think they might get a portion of their money might come from doing R&D, I doubt that is where they make most of their money.

As others have said, I think that most guys pull in money from their sponsors. In some cases that can be a lot, in others, not so much. I do remember reading somewhere that either Simmons or Schley were making like $1million per year off of all their agreements, and everything, total... But they aren't racers.

I'm really not sure what most racers make. I can't imagine it would be tooooo much, but I'd be interested to find out.

Edit- I just realized I said make money from their sponsors and that is pretty much what you said, but I don't think the majority of the money they get from the sponsors is for R&D. (But what do I know?)
Eh...i'm not so sure Simmons and Schley made $1Million a year....Shaun White with all his sponsers and contest wins made $1.2 million last year. And snowboarders get paid a hell of a lot more than pro mtn bikers and freeriders do. Snowboard contest wins for 1st place are usually anywhere from $10k-30k per contest. Cam zink won what..like $7,500 for winning Crankworx slopestyle? Snowboard and jibber Lucas magoon just won $10k for just a measly rail contest.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Back when Cedric moved from Cannondale to Commencal, I was talking to our Cannondale rep who said that they were paying him 250 grand a year, and Oakley was paying him 250 grand a year, and that Commencal offered him more money. I also read an article in Velo News once talking about how Kyle Strait was making six figures, but I don't know how much. I really have no idea though.

·
Professional Troll
2,777 Posts
twouareks said:
Back when Cedric moved from Cannondale to Commencal, I was talking to our Cannondale rep who said that they were paying him 250 grand a year, and Oakley was paying him 250 grand a year, and that Commencal offered him more money. I also read an article in Velo News once talking about how Kyle Strait was making six figures, but I don't know how much. I really have no idea though.
bingo, the big names (like a dozen of them) make low to high 6 figures, the rest, 30-40k probably.

·
Bum Buzzer
1,992 Posts
I get all my info from heresay, but a VERY small contingent of top pros make 6 figures - Cedric has been noted as one of the higher paid guys, I would suppose 500 grand a year all combined at best.

Schley has supposedly been the highest paid MTB cyclist historically, the 1m could be possible combining all the sponsors and other roles. He has gotten loads of crap piled on him for it too.

The vast majority of pros - even top cats, apparently dont make great money, I heard Kyle Strait got ~50k as a salary, I couldnt attest to how much he pulls in from sponsorships and contests - didnt hear any rumors on that one.

Overall - it is not a sport you pursue for compensation; very few make a GOOD living off of it, and a great deal make enough to take care of themselves, because - as said before - they dont have to pay for bikes and travelling to spots BUT it can take alot of the love out of it when you're lugging around the world...

and then the vast majority who PAY to race ultimately. (Yes, this is MOST pros!)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.