Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
the air is thin up here..
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Building my Honzo, which is blue. I've got some blue parts on the way, but only small things (brake caliper caps, lever adjust screws, and my XO crank labels are blue).

My question is, how much color coordination is too much? I have to buy new grips and at least 1 new brake rotor. Since I've got floating Hope rotors, I can get a blue spider, and lock-on grips are also available with blue clamps. I kinda feel like this is too much, but I'm not sure.

I'm definitely NOT getting blue stem/handlebar/hubs/headset/etc as I know for me at least, that's too much. Plus I either already have these things, or what I want doesn't come in blue :)

Thoughts?

EDIT: Here's a bike with close to what I'd go with AT MOST, except for the blue hoses:
http://forums.mtbr.com/7033931-post30.html

·
Registered
522 Posts
I like it, adds a bit of personal touch. Definitely go with the Hope spider in blue. The bike looks good in the attached photo.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I find that whatever colors I choose to put on the bike...they all seem to come together perfectly with the addition of a few randomly placed scratches, a bit of sweat on the top tube and possibly a chunk of skin hidden somewhere in the chainring area :)

In other words, if you like it then it's all good.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Building my Honzo, which is blue. I've got some blue parts on the way, but only small things (brake caliper caps, lever adjust screws, and my XO crank labels are blue).

My question is, how much color coordination is too much? I have to buy new grips and at least 1 new brake rotor. Since I've got floating Hope rotors, I can get a blue spider, and lock-on grips are also available with blue clamps. I kinda feel like this is too much, but I'm not sure.

I'm definitely NOT getting blue stem/handlebar/hubs/headset/etc as I know for me at least, that's too much. Plus I either already have these things, or what I want doesn't come in blue :)

Thoughts?

EDIT: Here's a bike with close to what I'd go with AT MOST, except for the blue hoses:
http://forums.mtbr.com/7033931-post30.html
You sound like you have a taste for flare-bling- flash like I do.My current build has so much flash in it I can't ride it around the city...and maybe on the trails either!!! :D I'm almost afraid to ride it.i't's not finished yet, but it goes something like this:
Speed Disc rims with gold spokes and red alloy nipples
Rock Shox Recon silver TK solo air in white color
goldtone quick releases
Black Sette Reken frame
Goldtone stem
Goldtone seatpost
Goldtone chain
Goldtone rotor
Goltone crankarms with red outer, gold middle and black inner chainrings
Black saddle
Black handlebar with red grips and goldtone lock collars
Red brake housing and blact derailleur housing with goldtone ferrules on both
Goldtone crank and rotor bolts
...and either Panaracer XC pro or Halo twin rail red and black tires.
....to soothe my taste for flare.
Sound good? if you like color coordination, look no further.:cool:
Personally I think it's a matter of taste. ;).:D

·
Registered
5,476 Posts
Color matching is fine, until you start adding color matched hoses for brakes and colored cable lines. That's where I draw the line.

But small bits and pieces are fine. I even went as far as custom Mavic stickers on my last build as the stock yellow EX721 rim stickers were clashing with my overall pewter color build.

Although I must say, the Honzo with the blue Sunline V1 OS bars is a dead on match. :D

·
Life Is Short
2,569 Posts
are you also planning to purchase a blue kit, gloves and helmet. Maybe some blue LEDS on the handlebars for some night riding, Just kidding. Blue socks? I put some white seatpost, bar and stem
on my 96er because it has a white fork, it wasn't too bad. But yes, getting too blingy is headed towards the lycra wearing road bike lifestyle.

·
Uncle
4,332 Posts
Fixed

Color matching is fine assuming it really does match, until you start adding color matched hoses for brakes and colored cable lines. That's where I draw the line.
With this in mind, I'd rather have 4 different colors on my bike, than a bunch of stuff that looks like it's supposed to match but doesn't. Kudos to all of the Sheila Moon racers at Boggs for showing me the light. :D

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
It's a tool, not a jewel.

Don't get caught up in matchy-match. If you do, that means you're focusing on posting pictures on the internet more than riding.

Reactions: AZ

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
As long as you're satisfied with the results then there's no such thing as 'Too much"

·
Registered
701 Posts
You sound like you have a taste for flare-bling- flash like I do.My current build has so much flash in it I can't ride it around the city...and maybe on the trails either!!! :D I'm almost afraid to ride it.i't's not finished yet, but it goes something like this:
Speed Disc rims with gold spokes and red alloy nipples
Rock Shox Recon silver TK solo air in white color
goldtone quick releases
Black Sette Reken frame
Goldtone stem
Goldtone seatpost
Goldtone chain
Goldtone rotor
Goltone crankarms with red outer, gold middle and black inner chainrings
Black saddle
Black handlebar with red grips and goldtone lock collars
Red brake housing and blact derailleur housing with goldtone ferrules on both
Goldtone crank and rotor bolts
...and either Panaracer XC pro or Halo twin rail red and black tires.
....to soothe my taste for flare.
Sound good? if you like color coordination, look no further.:cool:
Personally I think it's a matter of taste. ;).:D
Don't O.G.!

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

·
Registered
190 Posts
With this in mind, I'd rather have 4 different colors on my bike, than a bunch of stuff that looks like it's supposed to match but doesn't. Kudos to all of the Sheila Moon racers at Boggs for showing me the light. :D
+1 never assume blue ano will go with blue paint!

·
Robtre
706 Posts
I have a blue bike I built up, and the frame is anodized white no brand label (KHS Solo One 29) steel frame. People ask me about it all the time. I am a fan of building and color coordination but I do draw the line at off color tires and brake cables. I will submit a pic this afternoon. I put some OURY blue grips on it most recently and it gives it attitude. I go into bike shoppes now and most stock bikes bore me.

·
Never Forget 9-11
434 Posts
I like bikes with one main color and two additional complimenting colors. I think the two additional colors keep the main one from overpowering the overall appearance Mine was simple. Black frame with a white and silver logo. Any additional parts are silver or white. I do like the one in the photo except for the blue hoses but personal taste and choice are the rule. If you like it go with it.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts