Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a flat today and used one cannister of CO2 to inflate it. Seemed ok but when I started riding I thought it was going flat again. So I went back to my truck. Later I used my floor pump and it turns out its not leaking after all.

The question is how much CO2 should I use for a 26 x 2.10 tire?

·
Banned
1,954 Posts
lumber825 said:
Got a flat today and used one cannister of CO2 to inflate it. Seemed ok but when I started riding I thought it was going flat again. So I went back to my truck. Later I used my floor pump and it turns out its not leaking after all.

The question is how much CO2 should I use for a 26 x 2.10 tire?
1 25g cartridge will fill one 26" tire to 60 lbs
1 16g cartridge will fill one 26" tire to 40 lbs

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I carry a patch kit and tried to find the hole while in the woods. Couldn;t find the leak and didn't see anything inside the tire. When I got home I found a pin hole leak in the tube.I do carry a small pump but I really like the ease of CO2.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
lumber825 said:
I carry a patch kit and tried to find the hole while in the woods. Couldn;t find the leak and didn't see anything inside the tire. When I got home I found a pin hole leak in the tube.I do carry a small pump but I really like the ease of CO2.
Carry a spare tube or two and a pump. If you are not racing there is little need for instant tire inflation.

·
We get titles?
938 Posts
It depends on the volume of the tire and also on the air temperature, but I've found that generally it takes two of those small co2's to bring a tire up to a decent pressure.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I carry a tube and a pump. Now tubeless, I think I'm going to carry some wetnaps or something. I ripped a hole in the tread of my rear nevagel and ended up with a huge mess. Anyways, I could not imagine patching a tire trail side, I can never find the hole without water. I don't understand what the deal is with CO2 inflators. It seams expensive and problematic. In a race I get it but if I'm out on the trail and get a flat it's not that hard to pump it up with a hand pump and I can't forget to bring a new cartridge.

·
We get titles?
938 Posts
shiggy said:
Carry a spare tube or two and a pump. If you are not racing there is little need for instant tire inflation.
Well it is a lot more fun. It makes that cool noise, and your riding buddies don't have to watch you working that minipump like a Shake Weight.

·
Its got what plants crave
5,933 Posts
If you ride tubeless CO2 is a necessity to reseat beads. Plus, the inflators and carts are so small, it takes up less space in a jersey pocket.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Jim311 said:
If you ride tubeless CO2 is a necessity to reseat beads. Plus, the inflators and carts are so small, it takes up less space in a jersey pocket.
Not really. You put in a tube. Pump it up. If the bead does not seat completely, it usually pops into place while riding.

I have a pump mounted on each of my bikes. Takes up zero jersey pocket or pack space, and I always have a tire inflator.

·
Underskilled
4,750 Posts
one bit of info that might be of help is that most co2 canisters designed for kitchen use the same connector.
they are generally larger (40g) and a fraction of the price.

As with other bike stuff, bike co2 canisters are hugely overpriced.

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
shiggy said:
Not really. You put in a tube. Pump it up. If the bead does not seat completely, it usually pops into place while riding.

I have a pump mounted on each of my bikes. Takes up zero jersey pocket or pack space, and I always have a tire inflator.
I carry a topeak mountain morph in my camelbak. It gives me the bennies of a floor pump and a mini pump all in one. I am using tubeless so it's never seen use (by me...) but my friends say it works great. I'm ready for a flat if I get one!

·
5,933 Posts
nachomc said:
I carry a topeak mountain morph in my camelbak. It gives me the bennies of a floor pump and a mini pump all in one. I am using tubeless so it's never seen use (by me...) but my friends say it works great. I'm ready for a flat if I get one!
Good luck seating the bead on a tubeless setup. You can always throw in a tube, I guess, but why when you can just carry an inflator? The carts cost next to nothing if you buy the ones at Walmart (which I do)

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
Jim311 said:
Good luck seating the bead on a tubeless setup. You can always throw in a tube, I guess, but why when you can just carry an inflator? The carts cost next to nothing if you buy the ones at Walmart (which I do)
The two flats I've had while running tubeless setups (about two years now) were:

Riding my backup bike and the sealant had dried up. Oops. My bad on the no sealant, but a cartridge wouldn't have helped me anyway.

HUGE slice in the tire - not even sure what I hit, but Stan's wasn't sealing that gash, evidenced by the Stan's gushing from the tire as it deflated.

Frankly, and I'm screwing myself for saying this, but I get so few flats that I carry tubes and a pump as insurance for myself, and as spare parts for my friends running tubes who tend to need additional supply fairly often.

·
5,933 Posts
You are aware that they make tubeless tire patch kits right? Granted if you gash open a sidewall it won't help, but then again, neither will a tube unless you also carry a boot or a piece of an old tire.

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
Jim311 said:
You are aware that they make tubeless tire patch kits right? Granted if you gash open a sidewall it won't help, but then again, neither will a tube unless you also carry a boot or a piece of an old tire.
You seem pretty adamant about your position on getting your tubeless setup running again while on the trail and that's cool. We just approach a similar problem differently. But how many cartridges do you carry and what will you do if you run out while on a ride? Do you carry tubes or a pump at all?

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Jim311 said:
Because just having an inflator may not get you home.

If you flat a tubeless tire on the trail, you are not likely to be able to make an effective or timely repair in the field without using an inner tube. Seating the bead is not critical as long as it is close.

The only two on-trail flats I have had with tubeless could not be fixed without using a tube.

One was a large slash in the tread. GU wrapper boot and tube. Hand pump, tire seated fine. Rolling in 5 minutes without rushing.

The other was a big stick through the wheel that snapped off the valve stem. No spare valve, so in when the tube. Tire did not seat well while inflating but popped into place after a few minutes of riding.

·
Banned
1,954 Posts
All the reasons why I never go tubeless; too many hassles. Spare tubes, hand pump, and CO2 carts and problem solved.

·
Banned
1,435 Posts
You all realize the CO2's from Wally World and Bike Shops CO2 are different right? The ones you get from mass merchants have a lot of other chemicals in the CO2 (oil for one). Bike branded CO2 has just CO2, THAT is why is costs more, but go ahead and keep the oil machine moving along.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts