Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well unfortunatly my Polar HRM/ computer stopped working, and has been gone to polar to get repaired for close to 2 months now. I have been riding from my house (1300E 3000S in SLC) up to millcreek canyon climbing the road to rattlesnake gultch, suffering up rattlesnake gultch (made it all the way without even dabbing for the first time yesterday), up the pipeline trail to the elbow fork, climbing the road up to the bigwater trailhead, and climbing the trail from there to dog lake. My question is if any of you can be my cyclecomputer for this ride. How far do you think that is?? How much climbing?? How long do you think it takes? My guesses are 17 miles from House to top. 34 round trip. 5000 feet of climbing (just shy of the elusive vertical mile) and I think it takes me a little more then 2 hours from my house to bigwater. 8.5 mph average speed or so.

My thinking with this ride is that I can eventually climb up the crest to guardsman pass, and drop down on spiro. From there I could catch the midmountain trail and take it all the way to pinebrook. Assuming I can find my way to jermey ranch I can connect with the GWT and climb over bigmountain and return to slc. Phew. I am not all the familiar with the park city trails so this may not be possible. I bet this would be close to an 80 mile loop, and would be great in preperation for the e100, which is the reason I am doing all of this anyway. Anyone interested in joining me for this adventure??

Thanks for reading

·
Sugary Exoskeleton
4,657 Posts
Hmmm...

The only beta I have heard regarding your proposed loop is that the section of the Midmountain trail to Pinebrook is pretty much an epic bushwack. This is heresay, though. I have never seen that portion of the trail.

Beyond that, it sounds too far!:eek:

JMH

Pedalfaraway said:
My thinking with this ride is that I can eventually climb up the crest to guardsman pass, and drop down on spiro. From there I could catch the midmountain trail and take it all the way to pinebrook. Assuming I can find my way to jermey ranch I can connect with the GWT and climb over bigmountain and return to slc. Phew. I am not all the familiar with the park city trails so this may not be possible. I bet this would be close to an 80 mile loop, and would be great in preperation for the e100, which is the reason I am doing all of this anyway. Anyone interested in joining me for this adventure??

Thanks for reading

·
Pedal Bike
124 Posts
Lots-o-Riding

MMT through Pinebrook is all trail, no BWing...
I rode it a few weeks ago.
Pinebrook puts up "Private - Locals only" signs.
In fact, Mountain Trails Foundation doesn't even include the Pinebrook trails
on their map. Not sure what that's all about...
You'll have to ride the road under the highway to get over to J-Ranch.

Good luck! My buddy rode from SLC up & back last summer. He looked
completely worked at the end!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Sounds like a fun loop. Completely doable and rideable. Let me know when you go.

Last Saturday I rode Big Water to GWT at the top of Millcreek. Then Crest trail over to Scott's pass and down Shadow lake trail to Apex trail and Crescent Mine Grade to MMT. MMT over to Team Big Bear and up to the Flagstaff loops and down Deer Camp and Naildriver back to MMT. Then back over to the Steps and up Apex trail and Shadow Lake and back along the Crest to Millcreek and down.

If you're preparing for the E100, I'd stay in the PC area and hit the trails there (as opposed to going all the way over to Big Mountain). That way you can stay on dirt (and singletrack) rather than hitting stretches of pavement. In the E100 you really don't do do much pavement.;)

·
Sugary Exoskeleton
4,657 Posts
Nice!

I have ridden all that stuff in the last week, but not as one ride:p
How long did it take you?

JMH

ucme4dk said:
Sounds like a fun loop. Completely doable and rideable. Let me know when you go.

Last Saturday I rode Big Water to GWT at the top of Millcreek. Then Crest trail over to Scott's pass and down Shadow lake trail to Apex trail and Crescent Mine Grade to MMT. MMT over to Team Big Bear and up to the Flagstaff loops and down Deer Camp and Naildriver back to MMT. Then back over to the Steps and up Apex trail and Shadow Lake and back along the Crest to Millcreek and down.

If you're preparing for the E100, I'd stay in the PC area and hit the trails there (as opposed to going all the way over to Big Mountain). That way you can stay on dirt (and singletrack) rather than hitting stretches of pavement. In the E100 you really don't do do much pavement.;)

·
Registered
316 Posts
5 hours 45 minutes. 47.75 miles according to my old-fashioned cat eye. Started at 4:20 am (I like the cool morning hours and watching the sunrise). It was a terrific ride. No one on the trails until I got back over to Scott's pass.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Probably aug 15

Couple weeks after the epic 100, and before the E100. I am planning a 12 day taper for the later event, so Sat the 15th will be my last, and longest long slow ride of the year. After that its time for some intensity. Would welcome any company for some longer rides, but it sounds like we might be on different schedules. I typically ride from 7pm until 11 or 12. There is absolutly no way I would be doing anything at 4:30 am

Pedal.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Late Nights Are Great

My morning schedule is mainly that way for family purposes. It's my way of getting in long rides without shorting time with my wife or kids. My wife is great though - as long as I give her some heads up to plan accordingly, she's fine with me going just about any time.

What did you have in mind?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Sounds like a great ride except for the section from Jeremy Ranch (JR) to Big Mountain (BM) on the GWT. The stretch of the GWT from Jeremy to the radio towers and then the few climbs to get to the top of Baldy are going to suck. I've done this ride from BM to JR, and while heading down from Baldy I felt sorry for anyone that has ever had to do it in the opposite direction. Also, is there a good trail to get from JR to the radio towers? I decended into JR on a crappy steep loose dirt road used to access the radio towers.

Instead of taking the GWT to BM, I would suggest getting to the top of BM by using the east canyon dirt road that heads out of JR. Then, hop on the Mormon Pioneer trail and take that up to BM.

Also, are there any trails that connect BM to SLC or are you planning on heading down Emigration Canyon road? It would be a shame to do all that climbing and then have to decend on a road.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jeremey Ranch Trails.

I am really not familiar with trails in the emmigration/ BM area. I plan on doing some exploring this weekend. From what I understand you can get on the GWT close to east canyon resort. It will take you to Big mountain pass. jump on the pioneer trail, and end and take it to affleck park. Climb Killion canyon trail to pine crest. For there yes you would be facing a road return to SLC down emmagration canyon.

I am going to ride starting at little mountian pass this weekend and take the trail to BM pass. So I'll have a better idea what it will take next week.

Ume4dk,
I don't really have anyting specific in mind as of yet. I need a better idea of how far/ long I think this will take. Most likely leave early in the morning aug 15 (6am) and ride till I get back to slc. As long as it takes. Maybe stop in PC for some lunch. Would welcome company. I think the potential for a really epic loop exists there. Espically if they ever all the conflicts worked out and join the shoreline trail to pinecrest.

Interested?

·
Registered
316 Posts
This Saturday -- aargh. I don't know what I was thinking. Your earlier post said the 15th, but wasn't that Aug 15th?

Anyway, this Sat my bro and I are heading out in Park City with an early start (4-4:30am). Probably do something like Big Water to top of Millcreek, Crest over to Scott's Pass, a loop down into the Park City trails and back.

After you descend the Pinebrook trails, cross under I-80 and follow Jeremy Ranch road over to the start of the Moose Hollow trail which will climb you up to the radio towers to ride the GWT over to Big Mountain. That section of the GWT has some stout climbs/hikes, but is extremely pretty and has some cool single track sections. If you want to keep a better flow to your ride, take the East Canyon road to the Mormon Trail and climb that to Big Mountain.

If you're looking for other good loops, think about parking at the Glenwild TH. Head south on the road to Colin's and take that up to the Mid-Mountain/Trail of the Hunter trail. Head north toward Pinebrook. Descend the Pinebrook trails, ride through Jeremy Ranch and get on the 24/7 trail and take it over to Glenwild loop and do that with the Cobblestone loop.

Have fun!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.