Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi in the UK in a wet and muddy winter (in the South East so nasty, claggy clay too).

Now when I do get out the bridleways are a bit of a quagmire due to the horses and so a lot of sliding around and throwing this hideous stuff all over the bike (and me:thumbsup: ); not uncommon to have to squirt the drivetrain with the camelbak to prevent chain suck.

On a previous ride when the weather turned I got back at dusk feeling cold, wet and very muddy so gave the bike a quick rinse with the hose and put it in the shed (I know - cardinal sin).

By the next week when I got to it the chain was pretty rusty! I bit the bullet - got a SRAM power link and set to work, degreased with meths in a container (and was shocked by how much crud came out). Soaked and shook in some engine oil to get it into all the bushings etc, then wiped it down reinstalled and used some wet lube. I put the bike away, wiped the excess of before the next ride and off I went.

Seems excessive for everyday maint!

So what should I do? Obviously a bit of a scrub of the drivetrain is a must, but then? After the wash down a wipe to get rid of all the water would obviously improve things but then? Water dispersant (WD40 say) is also a degreaser of sorts so shouldn't really use without subsequent cleaning and re-lubing.

Would a wipe to rid surface water then lube be sufficient or will that just trap the water in the links?

·
Registered
435 Posts
You will probably get 20 different opinions on this but here's my input.

After the ride, rinse off the chain with water. Run the chain through a rag to get off most of the water, and spray with WD40. Let it dry for at least 12 hours.

Before the next ride apply lube and re-wipe with rag.

Letting the water evaporate over night allows the lube to penetrate.

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
My opinion....

My opinion is that Steve's opinion will be far more valuable than most for this post.

I rarely do post ride chain maintenance. But I don't live in an area where we can ride when the trails are muddy.

My maintenance for my chain is usually pre-ride. Cleaning and lube as required.

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
I ride in similar conditions and when it is necessary for me to actually wash my bike, I always put lubricant on the chain and i have had no rust issues all season. I also just got a chain scrubber, it was kind of amazing to see how much crap came out of the chain, and I did it several times and the liquid was still dirty.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Ken in KC said:
My opinion is that Steve's opinion will be far more valuable than most for this post.
Yep, I agree. (Steve and the OP live in the same geographical area and presumably ride in similar conditions.)

But, FWIW, I'll say a few words about my post-ride procedure...

I live and ride in a dry, dusty environment. The chain rarely gets wet, but it does get covered with dust. When it's especially dusty, the chain will start to make a creaking / grinding noise after riding only three or four miles. After a ride, I brush the chain, cassette, and chainrings with a Park chain brush. I then lube the chain with Prolink. Total time required, including cleaning dust from the fork stanchions and rear shock, is five to ten minutes.

·
Picture Unrelated
5,123 Posts
Keep that motor oil off of there and try to run a very heavy wet bicycle lube. Do a good cleaning of your chain (you can use WD-40 as long as you get it nice and dry afterwords) and start anew.

I like Dumonde green for wet conditions, it says it forms a sort of bond with the chain (for what it's worth). But all the post-ride maintenance I've needed to do is wash the bike, dry it off as best I can. Then wipe the chain clean with a rag, reapply the lube to a wiped clean chain, and wipe the excess off.

Doing it every time the bike gets wet or muddy will keep you from getting a rusty chain. That method will keep the chain lubricated at all times.

During the dry times, I switch to the Dumonde light and wipe off the chain after a ride. I usually apply lube every 2 or 3 rides during the dry season.

·
Registered
9 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.