Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 07 specialized sworks epic carbon with Thompson seat tube and I would like to be able to lower my seat more for the drops. Just would like to know how much I can cut my seat tube. Thanks

·
Registered
435 Posts
The post manufacturer specifies the minimum amount of seat post that must be inserted into the frame for strength. Most seat posts are marked with a line for minimum insertion length. Before you cut, remove the post and measure the distance from the minimum line to the bottom. Then calculate how much you can cut off and still get at least the minimum insertion in all seat positions you will be using.

Keep in mind that the "minimum mark" will now be incorrect after you cut the post. You might want to try to re-mark it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks..where can I find my minimum seat post length? I went to the specialized site and they don't have any info for my 07 frame.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Minimum insertion point is marked on the seat post itself. Typically a couple inches from the end of the post. I personally would just buy a shorter seat post.

·
Registered
535 Posts
A few things about cutting your post.

1. How big of drops are you doing with an S-Works Epic Carbon? I would hope not huge. Might want to consider an Enduro instead.

2. If I am not mistaken, the Epic came with a Thomson set-back post, so you'll only be able to lower it to the "bend", so cutting your post down will not help you dramatically.

3. If you do cut your post down, mark your post at the point where it is fully extended for you in your normal riding position. Remove the post and line your mark up with the seat tube with the mark on the post flush with the top of the seat tube. The bottom should extend below the junction of the seat tube and the top tube. You can remove seat post to the bottom of that junction and still be safe.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it's not huge drops or anything, also little jumps here's a photo of the cut. My normal riding height is at 9 its an easton EC70 tube. Can I cut more than this or is this my max?

·
EDR
10,309 Posts
The post needs to extend below the lower junction of where the top tube is mated to the seat tube. Just look at your bike and makes sense.

CF though? I'd call speshy and confirm that it doesn't need even more insertion.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts