Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

81 - 92 of 92 Posts

·
Ride what you like!
647 Posts
Wow. A whole lot of animosity towards cell cameras here. It must be because of the crappy pictures! Or maybe it's just me, I can never figure out how to brace myself properly to get a steady shot. That being said, I still leave the SLR at home. I use my secondary, an older Nikon P7000. The lens is decent, the viewfinder is trash, but I can occasionally squeeze off an acceptable shot with it. It isn't too fond of low light, but what the heck, I'm usually not riding at night anyways!

p7000.png

·
Registered
22 Posts
i pack my canon t-5 rebel in my hydration pack with the 18-55 kit lens.

it's just small enough to fit in the medium compartment of an osprey syncro 10.

anybody else carrying full sized cameras to do still photography with you on rides or are most of you using smartphones?
I have not carried my Nikon D7500 yet due to size and weight. If I plan to shoot on a ride, I carry my D3200 with a collapsible 18-55mm kit lens or a 35mm prime. Its lightweight, compact, and the lenses are very inexpensive if they get damaged.
Even when not planning to shoot, I always have a Ricoh WG-4 with me. It is a water resistant tough camera that I take almost everywhere, even on shallow dives. It fits in a small top tube bag or pocket and works better than a cell phone.

·
the half breed devil
Santa Cruz 5010 v.3, rigid single speed karate monkey
4,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
I have not carried my Nikon D7500 yet due to size and weight. If I plan to shoot on a ride, I carry my D3200 with a collapsible 18-55mm kit lens or a 35mm prime. Its lightweight, compact, and the lenses are very inexpensive if they get damaged.
Even when not planning to shoot, I always have a Ricoh WG-4 with me. It is a water resistant tough camera that I take almost everywhere, even on shallow dives. It fits in a small top tube bag or pocket and works better than a cell phone.
i have recently been carrying my backup camera, a D-80 using a nikor 18-105 in the big pocket of my osprey. it's a heavy setup, but when i pack it the photos are worth it. i had to use the seawall and turn my lens hood upside down to use as a tripod for this shot at ocean beach in san francisco:

DSC_2419.jpg

·
Young, Shawn Young
3,161 Posts
I have the a6000 and a6500 but my mountain bike camera is the Sony rx100mva. Top tube bag for storage.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
i have recently been carrying my backup camera, a D-80 using a nikor 18-105 in the big pocket of my osprey. it's a heavy setup, but when i pack it the photos are worth it. i had to use the seawall and turn my lens hood upside down to use as a tripod for this shot at ocean beach in san francisco:

View attachment 1271565
Nice shot. I just retired my D70 due to a bad pixel on the sensor. It was a heavy one as well.
While I do miss my D7500 when I'm traveling light, I have to admit I still get shots just as good with the 3200 when just viewing an overall print. It may take a little more work but at the end of the day, the prints are good.
I must admit, I'm a recovering pixel peeper. Now I focus on the picture not the pixel.
That said, I am exploring carrying the the D7500 and some flashes. I just got back into biking after 20+ years away from it. The pack I use when hiking moves to much for biking so I subscribed to this thread for the carry ideas.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I brought my d800 and 20 2.8 on a month long bikepacking trip. I was getting pretty desperate before leaving because I couldn't find a good solution to carry the dslr, and all the little cameras didn't have the battery life I needed.

Fortunately I stumbled upon the revelate stuff. Carried camera in a revelate egress bar bag which itself clipped onto the revelate pronghorn. The pronghorn bag held sleeping bag which was terrific padding for the camera. Egress is a roll-type dry bag. Camera is convenient: takes 15 seconds to access camera after stopping to take a picture.

I'm planning to continue to use the egress to carry the dslr on normal rides, will be a relief to get it out of my pack. I do think I'll need to find a way to get camera additional padding.

Also egress barely holds the d800 with my 20 2.8 afd, even my 105 would be a challenge to fit.

Z2019_06-56-57.jpg

Was really happy to have my real camera. Can't see from this tiny resized things but my prints are looking great.

Z2019_15-38-40.jpg

·
Registered
30 Posts
Mirrorless

Sony A7iii, 24-70, 16-35 f 2.8 lenses, using a MindShift Gear rotation 180 backpack with water carrying pouch. This is on rides specific to a shoot in mind. Not every day use. If i was going to carry everyday, I would get the Sony A6600 and 1 lens. A7304232 screen saver.jpg

·
Registered
46 Posts
Most of the time I bring my Sigma SD Quattro. It's a mirrorless but really heavy duty. It has a 17-70mm zoom, so I don't bring any other lens, which is an easy decision because I don't have any lens that fit Sigma SA.

I have also a Sony a7Rii with some lenses, but boy, I love that Sigma.

With that I have a mini tripod that I got cheap on Taobao.

As bag I use a Lowepro SlingShot 202. It's a single strap rucksack and works pretty well on the bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
I always stuff my dslr with my 18-55mm lens for scenery and my 75-300mm lens for wildlife which takes up quite a bit of room in my little osprey daylight pack. I would hate to see something and not have my camera.

·
Registered
3 Posts
a 500mm F/4?
I'm a wildlife photographer but a beginner on the bike. I have an old Canon 7D with 100-400 lens that I carry when kayaking. This looks like a possible setup for carrying that equipment on the bike. But I'm worried about the constant vibration/hard impact back there, although I'm usually on easy trails. Have you been doing this a long time?

I also have the Cotton Carrier harness that I use hiking and have used a few times on the bike but only with a short lens. Being a beginner, I'm not too keen on having the camera on my body being worried about worse injury falling on the camera.

81 - 92 of 92 Posts