Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

61 - 80 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
I actually had my DSLR with me today and what happens, bike broke AGAIN, pffft. There you have it, it is dangerous to take DSLR on ride as things break down.

I had DSLR in my backpack, but having backpack is annoying because it is way too warm, I start to overheat very quickly even without backpack so that is bit annoying. I have Nikon shoulder bag which would be easier in terms of heat, but when moving around it does not like to stay where I put it and becomes annoying quite soon.

Despite having DSLR with me I only used Eken H9R and there is not much to share about that, RD and FD failed, eventually so bad I had to push bike back.

Mud and white stuff, nothing to see really:

·
the half breed devil
Santa Cruz 5010 v.3, rigid single speed karate monkey
4,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
I actually had my DSLR with me today and what happens, bike broke AGAIN, pffft. There you have it, it is dangerous to take DSLR on ride as things break down.

I had DSLR in my backpack, but having backpack is annoying because it is way too warm, I start to overheat very quickly even without backpack so that is bit annoying. I have Nikon shoulder bag which would be easier in terms of heat, but when moving around it does not like to stay where I put it and becomes annoying quite soon.

Despite having DSLR with me I only used Eken H9R and there is not much to share about that, RD and FD failed, eventually so bad I had to push bike back.

that's actually kind of a nice photograph...

·
Registered
370 Posts
that's actually kind of a nice photograph...
Grab from video actually, here are photos, only 1 otb and 3 other fells while carrying DSLR on backpack, I think I stop carrying it before things go wrong, but today weather was nice, it must of been few months since I saw sun last time.

Eken:

Nikon:

I'm not happy with Nikon shot, viewfinder and glasses got so foggy that I could not see anything, shooting randomly more than anything, but I did try, I guess that is most important thing.

·
saddlemeat
3,873 Posts

I carry my camera over my shoulder and under opposite arm, on a fairly short strap, just long enough to do a blurry composition with the screen flipped up. Use a pancake lens to minimize the bulk. Better yet use a mirrorless, but I digress. Now you can stop and capture an image very quickly and move on. Worrying about equipment is a sidetrack, use stuff you can replace, like you do with your bike gear. I have had a lot of sweet equipment stolen from my vehicle, but never lost any gear in a bike crash in 30 years. :) (I hope I didn't speak to early, fingers crossed.)

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Little Mirrorless Sony 6300

For work I use DSLRs, actually prefer them over mirrorless for everything but ridding bikes because the size/weight... love always having a decent manual camera with me again for mountain biking and trips on the other bikes. I have to be in the mood when mountain biking, little harder to get motivated to stop and shoot than it is on the other bikes

Sony a6300, 16-55, 50mm and 35 1.8

DSC07055.jpg 5 copy.jpg DSC01078DONE copy.jpg

·
the half breed devil
Santa Cruz 5010 v.3, rigid single speed karate monkey
4,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
For work I use DSLRs, actually prefer them over mirrorless for everything but ridding bikes because the size/weight... love always having a decent manual camera with me again for mountain biking and trips on the other bikes. I have to be in the mood when mountain biking, little harder to get motivated to stop and shoot than it is on the other bikes

Sony a6300, 16-55, 50mm and 35 1.8

View attachment 1166266 View attachment 1166267 View attachment 1166268
definitely harder to stop and take photos when you're not riding solo.

my little canon (1200D or T5, they call them in the US) is relatively small and light for a DSLR and pretty easy to carry in my osprey hydration pack. my only caveat with his system is i can't get a quick shot if i need it. you don't know how many times i wished i'd had a good camera when i roll up on bobcats, ect.

however, if i heal and am able to ride before winter ends, i probably won't carry it as i usually carry more extra clothes and the like during our rainy season.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Having hauled camera gear up nearly every peak in AZ, into and across the grand canyon multiple times, and being an avid photo whore, its odd for me but mountain biking is the one hobby i have yet to drag the kit out for.

Cost of a crash being the main sticking point. My workhorse is the 80d, and i rarely take that anywhere without the 70-200 2.8 IS. And then usually with the 24-70 2.8. That is to say, its a lotta bulk, weight, and will make me cry the first time i land on it in a crash.

May some day bring the gear along, but not til i either win the lottery and cost isnt an issue, or again win the lottery and snag one of those Pelican backpacks...

U160 Backpacks & Bags - Urban | Urban Elite Camera Pack | Pelican Consumer

Meanwhile, ye olde Galaxy S7 camera is having to suffice. =(

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
going to try a new bag

I am just not shooting enough with the camera in my hydration pack, so I ordered a very cheap fanny pack..... seems like I should be able to swing it around to the front to grab the camera vs getting of the bike and removing my back pack.

616dCYv2XAL._SL1300_.jpg

·
Young, Shawn Young
3,161 Posts
I carry a d700 and 2 lenses in a Revelate seat bag. Easy - quick access, super secure. One of the lenses is a Nikon 70-200 2.8. Yes it is heavy. Worth the pain? Definitely. If I had to choose "one lens" it would be the one. Proof? You be the judge, these are recent shots with it. Oddly, most people consider it to be a portrait lens and kids soccer game lens, but I find it to be an excellent landscape tool.
I also carry a 24 mm 2.8, it's an older smaller version. I'm currently experimenting with it. I have not found the joy in shooting with "wide angle". In fact, the Continental Divide wasn't "wide enough". Perhaps I need more work. You'd think the Colorado Trail would be "wide enough" for the 24mm, but it just takes boring pics from 2.8 to f 16. IMHO: The bokeh from a good 2.8 long lens makes wonderful photos.

View attachment 1161363 View attachment 1161364 View attachment 1161365 View attachment 1161396 View attachment 1161397
I'm curious about seat bags. I have the Sony A6000. Not a lot of weight but as I get older I would like to get the weight of my shoulders and back. Is there worry that something is going to get jarred lose or broken from rough trail?

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I am just not shooting enough with the camera in my hydration pack, so I ordered a very cheap fanny pack..... seems like I should be able to swing it around to the front to grab the camera vs getting of the bike and removing my back pack.

View attachment 1171811

Hi mate I would be interested to hear how this works out as I have an Ortlieb Hip Pack 2 on order.

OZ.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Todys setup.

Hi everyone, I normal ride with a Sony NEX 5 or NEX 6 with a 20mm pancake lens or a 50mm f1.8 and sometime the 10-18 f4 zoom.

Depending on the bike that I am riding it will be in my backpack or in a frame bag, as seen on the Surly Karate Monkey.

IMG_2245.jpg

This morning I wanted to just take some bike shots in dense tree cover and play around with off camera flash so I needed to use my Lowepro SlingShot 200AW. An older bag but the new versions look great.

The bag easily carried the NEX 6 with the Sony 10-18 f4, Sony F20 M and Sony F60 m. I also had a Speedlite Speedbox 60cm softbox in its own carry bag.

The results...

DSC08997.jpg

DSC08996.jpg

The results are worth it, the Lowepro bag is great does not move around as you ride and you can get the camera out without completely taking the bag off.

If I was to carry the softbox all the time I would need to find a better way of carrying it, as its bag is just an simple strap, no really made for riding with.

OZ.

·
saddlemeat
3,873 Posts
I used a seat bag for years and never noticed any negative effects. It works well and is quite accessible if you have the right seatbag.

·
saddlemeat
3,873 Posts
I currently carry my a5000 with 16/2.8 over my neck as in the pic. I use a large adapted nikon hood to protect the lens. It's on a shortish strap and never gets in my way, yet is instantly available, even on the fly. I've crashed this way quite a few times but the camera never gets damaged. I really never think about it anymore, I carry this way a lot, off the bike too. Doesn't work with big or long gear, obviously.

With this lens + the correction setting turned on I get great IQ from 6" to infinity.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Hi mate I would be interested to hear how this works out as I have an Ortlieb Hip Pack 2 on order.

OZ.
really like it, much easier/faster to get the camera than from a backpack and its going to be much cooler in the summer as well. It seems ideal for a modest sized camera (Sony 6300/6500 size) with room left over for a tools, pump, tube, phone but I have had my Nikon D5 in the main compartment and a 24-70 in one of the water bottle sleeves a couple times now...works but not ideal. Had it out on several 2-3 hour mountain bike rides plus one all day trip on my gravel bike and it was still comfortable leaned forward in the more aggressive riding position of that bike.

you adjust the size of the waist belt on only one side. I have a 35 inch waist and when wearing it the buckle is over to the left by a couple inches... I think someone with any larger waist the buckle/clip might end up on there hip bone. My wife tried it on and the water bottle holders ended up on her sides so maybe not great for a super thin or youth sized rider either (not sure what inch size she is but a size 4 in mountain bike shorts)

Im sold on the waist packs, I could see buying a better and maybe even larger one at some point.

61 - 80 of 92 Posts