Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 40 of 92 Posts

·
Old Fart
203 Posts
Last time i took my samsung wb350, i fell on it when i crashed. 300 usd gone.
That's why when taking a DSLR I carry an old Sony a100. It's a nice platform but I can pick one up for around $100 on fleabay if I destroy mine. I'd probably never carry my a850 or good Zeiss lens.

·
Registered
989 Posts
"I really like to take my camera with me while in the mountain but i think is dangerous. Last time i took my samsung wb350, i fell on it when i crashed."

"I use a Nikon AW1. Unfortunately the system looks like it will be abandoned. It will likely break you before it breaks. "

all well and good, but these are digital point and shoot cameras, not DSLR's as in the title.
I guess I should have prefaced by saying I used to ride with a DSLR. But unless I was going in with specific intent of making it a camera shoot ride, it was too cumbersome. Our crew is more intent on riding, were not that extreme, and not sponsored or anything to make it worth it. Switching to the AW1 allows minimal interruption, and I can even shoot from the hip or stop and quickly get off a shot. I miss the quality of DSLR, the AW1 is not the greatest, its quality not even as good as Micro 4/3 (which I use too) but its better than P&S. I would have not gotten this shot with a DSLR. By the time I'd have stopped, swung pack around, and pulled my DSLR out of pack, everyone would have been out of frame. And they would have all told me to GTH if I told them to turn around and ride back up the hill!
DSC_9065.jpg
I'm probably famous locally as the guy who rides with a camera slung on hip while riding.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
This was from my phone. Would be nice to have a proper camera with me however my pack is pretty full without anything else.

·
swim-bike-run-bike-bike
200 Posts
I carry a d700 and 2 lenses in a Revelate seat bag. Easy - quick access, super secure. One of the lenses is a Nikon 70-200 2.8. Yes it is heavy. Worth the pain? Definitely. If I had to choose "one lens" it would be the one. Proof? You be the judge, these are recent shots with it. Oddly, most people consider it to be a portrait lens and kids soccer game lens, but I find it to be an excellent landscape tool.
I also carry a 24 mm 2.8, it's an older smaller version. I'm currently experimenting with it. I have not found the joy in shooting with "wide angle". In fact, the Continental Divide wasn't "wide enough". Perhaps I need more work. You'd think the Colorado Trail would be "wide enough" for the 24mm, but it just takes boring pics from 2.8 to f 16. IMHO: The bokeh from a good 2.8 long lens makes wonderful photos.

Kanosha Trail smaller-1.jpg Kanosha Trail smaller-2.jpg Kanosha Trail smaller-1-2.jpg Kenosha 3x-1.jpg Kenosha 3x-2.jpg

·
swim-bike-run-bike-bike
200 Posts
I agree. It's a beast. And yes I was on a rigid singlespeed on Kenosha carrying it. I might be a glutton. But that's what larger rear and smaller front rings are for! But seriously, after shooting with the 70-200 and many others for years, the 70-200 is like like a trusted friend.
But I agree, I'm working with the 24mm prime and "trying" to like it. With winter on the way, I plan to keep taking both with me and working with the 24 more, because it makes sense, especially with white fluffy powder on the way.

·
swim-bike-run-bike-bike
200 Posts
wow. I really messed that up. What I'm trying to ask is this the pancake lens you use. Sorry, blame it on the coffee. Unknown.jpeg

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
That'll be a nice setup. Not really "pocketable", but as close as you can get with an actual DSLR.

I tried using the T6i earlier this year for a bit, but the focus system and buffer didn't perform up to my standards. I'm a big fan of the 80D right now- it's as good as it gets without upgrading to one of the FF bodies.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Honestly an iPhone with dual camera like the 7/8 plus and the new X will be a better option, 99% of the time. Camera shoots 4K, has 28mm and 56mm lenses, plus its pocketable with decent image and video quality.

·
Old Fart
203 Posts
If you think an iPhone is a better option than a DSLR, then you probably don’t care about taking good quality pictures.

There’s nothing wrong with that, I’m just saying there’s really no comparison in quality or performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was thinking the same thing. Try blowing up your cell phone picture to 13x19. What about difficult shooting situation where you want total control of ISO, exposure & aperture? I recently added the Moto Mod camera https://www.motorola.com/us/products/moto-mods/hasselblad-true-zoom to my Droid and still find that my old Sony a100 does a better job. I view this cell phone camera as a good compromise. When I go to Sedona in a few months I'm still going to carry my a100 with one of these https://www.cottoncarrier.com/collections/all/products/ccs-g3-grey-strapshot

21 - 40 of 92 Posts