Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
the half breed devil
Santa Cruz 5010 v.3, rigid single speed karate monkey
4,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i pack my canon t-5 rebel in my hydration pack with the 18-55 kit lens.

it's just small enough to fit in the medium compartment of an osprey syncro 10.

anybody else carrying full sized cameras to do still photography with you on rides or are most of you using smartphones?

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I occasionally take my Sony RX100 V4, but seeing it hates water I prefer not to. My pack is heavy enough without taking my DSLR with me!

·
the half breed devil
4,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I occasionally take my Sony RX100 V4, but seeing it hates water I prefer not to. My pack is heavy enough without taking my DSLR with me!
ohhhh, yeah. my pack is heavy with the camera and it's a lot lighter than my d7100 and its 18-200.

there are times though, when the extra weight is worth the shot!

·
Registered
971 Posts
Occasionally, either with the 24mm pancake or 10-18mm. Generally only if I'm riding alone (since it's a bit slower to get to) and going somewhere where the scenery justifies bringing the dslr.

·
Rocket Boy
272 Posts
I have been using the heck out of my iPhone the last couple of years. But before that, I carried an Olympus mirrorless camera and pancake lens. Last year I made an entire video using only my iPhone to shoot, edit and upload to YouTube. Technology blows my mind these days!

Video:
https://youtu.be/eZrIitXDZzE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
181 Posts
I bring my mirrorless Sony A6000. I have a the larger Camelbak kudu, and don't find that it affects me much having the camera in there.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
I take my Canon 80D and 18-135mm with me on all of our client-based trips (and a lot of others, too). I use a Deuter EXP 12 backpack, and normally I just stick it in the main compartment with a rain jacket in the bottom to provide some cushion.

There's probably a better way to do it, but this way gives me easy access and it's worked so far.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I always take my Sony A7r with at least my 12-24 lens. Used to be my 24-70 lens. The pack I usually take is a LowePro Photo Sport Pro (mostly the 20L, but sometimes the 30L). On long (multi-day) trips I use the backpack mainly for water bladder and extra food (like lunch/dinner) - aside from the camera. Been on up to 3 week trips with this setup.

I have used many photo bags (probably at least 10 different ones) and found the Photo Sport to be the best. Not a perfect bag, but the best I could find. I would prefer to have a few more storage sleeves in the bag. The mark II extended the about that could be stuffed into the bag by allowing the top to extend upward (extra material and definitely a plus).

Some people get bothered by wearing a pack on the bike. But, I don't even notice it, because I use it so much.

Just my 2 cents.

·
This place needs an enema
15,579 Posts
I use this: https://www.mindshiftgear.com/products/rotation180-trail

Awesome for ease of access to camera. I can pull it out, get a shot, and put it away without interrupting the flow of the ride. Often before anyone else has gotten their camera out.

That said, it's a POS when it comes to actual features devoted to MTB. You really have to want to have a DSLR handy to use this pack, compared to all of the MTB-specific packs that have evolved to where they are now.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I carry mostly my Canon G7 X-II. I shoot DSLR's for a living but would never carry one on a bike due to the bulk.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I really like to take my camera with me while in the mountain but i think is dangerous. Last time i took my samsung wb350, i fell on it when i crashed.

300 usd gone.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I use a Nikon AW1. Unfortunately the system looks like it will be abandoned. It will likely break you before it breaks. Mine is banged up to heck, been slammed in van doors, dropped, crashed on, rained on. I can deploy it while riding and fire off a shot one handed while still riding.

·
the half breed devil
4,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
"I really like to take my camera with me while in the mountain but i think is dangerous. Last time i took my samsung wb350, i fell on it when i crashed."

"I use a Nikon AW1. Unfortunately the system looks like it will be abandoned. It will likely break you before it breaks. "

all well and good, but these are digital point and shoot cameras, not DSLR's as in the title.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts