Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been getting a bit frustrated with my Alivio RD on my rockhopper. I clean and lube the drivetrain frequently and make small adjustments, but it seems that the performance is degrading. I've heard that the springs and bearings in the Alivio are lower quality and will have issues develop sooner.

Essentially I can set the high and low limit properly and then try to find a proper tension where I get clean up and down shifting through the rear cassette. What will happen is if the tension is high enough to achieve smooth shifting going from small to large gears in the cassette then the derailleur will not shift down cleanly. If I drop the tension a bit then when I'm in the middle of the cassette the derailleur will not shift smoothly up.

It appears that when I shift the derailleur does not move smoothly or a consistent distance to align with each gear in the cassette through the full range. Cleaning and lubing the chain after every ride helps this a bit and it is serviceable when riding, if a bit sluggish to shift in some situations.

·
Registered
18,001 Posts
That derailleur can work fine for years, and unless it's bent it probably doesn't have anything to do with your shifting issues. You should always start by making sure your derailleur hanger is square but you need a tool to do it, you can eyeball a really bad one but if it's a little off you won't be able to tell.

Most likely a new cable and housing will cure it though. Even a very slight restriction between the cable and housing liner will cause the problem you describe.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Most likely a new cable and housing will cure it though. Even a very slight restriction between the cable and housing liner will cause the problem you describe.
I'll have to take a closer look at that issue. Having limited experience it's tough to tell what I should attribute problems to when I'm dealing with lower end components. Hopefully I can get things moving a bit more freely.

I think short term it might not be worth it to replace as I'd prefer to overhaul the drivetrain to a 2x10 and medium term I'll probably be getting a new bike. In any case it's nice to have a hassle free ride in the mean time.

·
Registered
18,001 Posts
I'll have to take a closer look at that issue. Having limited experience it's tough to tell what I should attribute problems to when I'm dealing with lower end components. Hopefully I can get things moving a bit more freely.
Honestly I wouldn't even try to diagnose whether or not the cable has a problem, just replace it along with the housing too. It's cheap, easy, quick and can make a world of difference.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Honestly I wouldn't even try to diagnose whether or not the cable has a problem, just replace it along with the housing too. It's cheap, easy, quick and can make a world of difference.
Do you know if there is any consensus on how frequently cables and housing should be replaced for a RD? Also I'm curious if there is a significant difference in performance and/or lifespan with different cables.

·
Trail Tire TV on blogger
4,237 Posts
ya, what he said.. if you're wondering how long the derailleur will last, you've probably wen out the cables... those derailleurs even though Cheapo will usually way out last anything else on the drive train.. if anything is wrong with it it's often very obvious.. bent lower cage, broken spring.. bla bla bla.. if it's an "annoying" issue it probably more like the cable as JB WELD stated or very likely the hanger.. get the hanger tool.. no matter what bike, what drive train..(short of a single speed) it'll be a life long tool that will save you from banging your head against the wall!! :madman:

·
Merendon Junkie
1,068 Posts
I also own a rockhopper with an alivio derailleur. After about 2000 kms, shifting was getting shoddy, just like you describe. I was thinking of replacing the derailleur but tried replacing the housing and cable first. BAM, good as new. shiftiing was tac sharp once more and the finger pressure needed to shift went back to being obscenely low. I had forgotten how easy to shift the rockhopper used to be.

Cheers.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I also own a rockhopper with an alivio derailleur. After about 2000 kms, shifting was getting shoddy, just like you describe. I was thinking of replacing the derailleur but tried replacing the housing and cable first. BAM, good as new. shiftiing was tac sharp once more and the finger pressure needed to shift went back to being obscenely low. I had forgotten how easy to shift the rockhopper used to be.

Cheers.
Good to know. I think based on the feedback and fiddling around with the bike today everything is pointing towards replacing cables and housing. I'll give that a go and hopefully things will be shifting smoothly until my next bike. Glad I posted here before taking a more expensive approach.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.