Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is the benifit...if any, of running a 32 tooth cassette on the rear....as opposed to a 34 tooth? I have a Heckler and do some climbing on it...I have a 32 tooth cassette on it now...but have run a 34. To be honest...in the heat of the moment...during a climb, I do not notice anything. Endurance wise...the 34 will be better? What does everyone run?

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
My experience is you tend to use the lowest gear you have whether it is the best choice or not.

And the lower gear hurts just as much but you are moving slower. Use a bigger gear (within reason) and you will get there quicker.

·
Preemptive Revenger
867 Posts
shiggy said:
My experience is you tend to use the lowest gear you have whether it is the best choice or not.

And the lower gear hurts just as much but you are moving slower. Use a bigger gear (within reason) and you will get there quicker.
Even though Shiggy's response is 100% illogical, my own experience conforms to his exactly.

·
Registered
528 Posts
KERKOVEJ said:
I run a 32. No problems here.
Same here.

Front: 22,32,44
Rear: 11-32

I switched to a 34 for a little while and noticed a huge difference. I felt like I was spinning and spinning and getting no where, fast. I know most of that was in my head, but it still made a difference.

·
Topeak-Ergon Racing
708 Posts
I've been running a 34 in the back for a few years. It started when I was traveling from FL into the mountains a few years back and wanted (needed) all the help I could get. I still use it now as a reserve for the steep stuff. I can stay in the middle ring longer and not have to mess with shifting the front der under pressure.

It's a matter of preference really.

Eddie O

·
Heart Plumber
337 Posts
Few months ago a MTB mag from Spain was reviewing some pros bikes. All of them were using 11-34. The 34 almost never touched, they get mostly in the 30.

The diference is subtle but important:

with 22 ring the relation radio is:

22/30 0.73 For every full spin of the pedal the rear wheel moves 0.73 of a circle.
22/32 0.68
22/34 0.64

Imagine there's 3 guys pedaling at same speed with this relations (22/30-22/32-22/34). The power output is the same. The 22/30 cadence would be slower but the peak force used at every stroke and the duration of the muscular contraction would be longer. Remember that the muscle perfusion happens when the muscle is relaxed. So, slower cadence (at same speed) means more muscle isquemia and higher peak forces for stroke.

Higher cadence and less peak forces? Is this the truth? In my case I can't go over 80/90 rpm without feeling like a psycotic hamster. Mtb is not road. Higher than that and I can't go for tech trails. But in my training I include power pedaling at 50/60 rpm. So at 80/90 rpm I can keep a higher power output (and a harder ring/sproke relation) that last year. So, I'm faster. That's it.

Train for both. Increase the peak force you can manage for long, increase your cadence. You'll get more power.

·
viva la v-brakes!
2,441 Posts
spinner or masher

I think it depends if you're a spinner or a masher. I'm definitely a spinner.

For example, there's a road race here up a 8 mile road with an average 7 percent grade (or is it a 7 mile road with an 8 percent grade?). I practice this course fairly regularly, and I can consistently do that ride 1-2 minutes faster with an 11-32 cassette on my road bike as opposed to my standard 11-25.

There are several trails here in Flagstaff that are difficult to climb. I was running a 24x32 small gear, I just replaced my drive train so now I have a 22x34 small gear. I can feel this huge difference in gearing while climbing, I can clean more sections and just keep pedaling through the tough parts. Maybe I'm not going as fast as I was with my old gearing, but I have to stop less often and am less fatigued at the top of the climb. I would consider that a huge advantage.

But Shiggy has a point. I think it's important to pay attention to what gear your in and how your pedaling while climbing so you can try to be as efficient as possible. We all know that sometimes going just a little faster makes things a lot easier.

·
Let the cowbell ring
83 Posts
Depends on the climbing: either 18, 19, or 20. But then again I only run 1 gear 99% of the time. The other 1% is at Leadville and I haven't got the stones to do that SS yet.
kawboy8 said:
what is the benifit...if any, of running a 32 tooth cassette on the rear....as opposed to a 34 tooth? I have a Heckler and do some climbing on it...I have a 32 tooth cassette on it now...but have run a 34. To be honest...in the heat of the moment...during a climb, I do not notice anything. Endurance wise...the 34 will be better? What does everyone run?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.