Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently was up brian head utah and forgot my xtra bike shorts. So I had to wear the same shorts 4 days in a row. Thank god for gold bond. Anyone else ride multiple times with the same shorts??

·
life is a barrel o'fun
2,502 Posts
As I type, I can smell my bike clothes from today's ride from across the room. Just as I could while reading one of those other posts, probably the one titled "crotch rot." :rolleyes:

It's totally worth having at least five pairs of shorts so that you can ride a few times before needing to do laundry.

·
Unrepentant Cowboy SOB
652 Posts
I go about about 5 rides per pair of shorts. I have 2 pairs that were used when they came to me, and a used crit suit.

Never been scared of a little sweat or dirt.

I think my standards on dirty might be a bit different than some.

The army taught me there are 4 different ways to keep your undies clean....inside out, outside out X frontwards, backwards.

Took a little disease class in the college days that taught me one of the biggest contributing factors to getting sick and/or having allergies is being too clean.

Compare urban american bathing habits to Europeans.

Nowadays I wear clothes when I go into public; at home I sit outside in my boxers, sweat, and drink beer.

I still seem suprisingly successful at getting laid.

·
life is a barrel o'fun
2,502 Posts
Took a little disease class in the college days that taught me one of the biggest contributing factors to getting sick and/or having allergies is being too clean.

Compare urban american bathing habits to Europeans.

I agree, a little exposure to dirt and germs only helps build immunity.

BUT, wearing sweaty shorts over and over?! That's not the same thing; that's wallowing in your own filth!

And in defense of my European friends, they wash as often as we do, and don't understand the stereotypes. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
391 Posts
"YOUR" European friends may wash as often as we do but not all of them. The chances of coming across offensive body oder in europe is much greater then in the US. I have spent at least half of the last 30 years working outside of the US and I can say it's a fact. There are reasons for it and you are much less likely to come across an offending oder today then you were 15 years ago but my above statement stands. If they don't understand the sterotype they may never leave the city center of a large city. Go to a small town in eastern europe.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
The chamois is a single serving clothing article. No sloppy seconds.

I'd rather ride commando and apply chamois mayo directly to my saddle than wear stank arse drawers.

Foul.

I know a broad that rides with our group sometimes that never changes her chamois because she wears panties underneath! Chafed labes anyone?

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
Yeah, that's probably asking for trouble. But rash may not be life threatening, but it sure sucks for making the ride enjoyable. For primitive backcountry camping where you don't have any access to civilization, at least bring a plastic pail and a little detergent...just wash and rinse...without using 10 gal. of water...and use a mild washing product. For me it has more to do with keeping the posterior capable of sliding on the bike saddle rather than offending my riding buddies' olfactory senses.

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
hugh088 said:
"YOUR" European friends may wash as often as we do but not all of them. The chances of coming across offensive body oder in europe is much greater then in the US. I have spent at least half of the last 30 years working outside of the US and I can say it's a fact. There are reasons for it and you are much less likely to come across an offending oder today then you were 15 years ago but my above statement stands. If they don't understand the sterotype they may never leave the city center of a large city. Go to a small town in eastern europe.
I have to agree hugely with you hugh088, in Spain, France, Italy & England, I swear sometimes I will do a lumpy yawn. I cannto cope with the smell of BO, it is rank, and is not something that should cause issues in this day and age...

What is even worse is that some guys who stink of BO have wives, dam that even gets scarier all round !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Don't worry, be happy!
8,141 Posts
There's different kinds of BO. There's the "I eat fast food all the time" smell. And the "I drink so much it comes out of my pores" smell. ( worst one, IMO) And then there's some that's not so bad, the "played in the dirt all day " kind or "covered in sawdust".

Some people say that vegetarians smell better than omnivores, but I've got no comment on that.

Formica

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.