Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Made in Canada
414 Posts
If you ride on the roads a half hour before and after sunset, you should have reflectors to be safe, actually it's the law and it could save your life, otherwise rip them off... neither of my bikes has them, one had them torn off, the other never had any (built it up).

·
Registered
62 Posts
I take the reflectors off, saves weight, as I ride in the day time, and mountain bike. Because of this the reflectors are just unecisary weight, but if you are riding on alot of roads or at night, leave them on and get lights.

·
Registered
453 Posts
mine are still on there.... weight isn't much of an issue with me (hell i weigh 235 not counting my gear and such) ... but 99% of my riding is in the woods ...

they will come off, when i have a wreck or something that breaks it .. or i need that place for something else ... heh

·
Registered
206 Posts
You didn't tell us all the types of places and times you ride.

Two on each pedal
One on each wheel
One in front
Reflectorized rear blinky light, reflects even if light fails
Front light
Seat bag with reflector strip when needed.
Helmet strip
Jacket w/ strips when weather makes a jacket nice to wear.

... because I do ride on roads a lot, near and after dark and the weight difference is trivial to me, though I would take them off if I didn't ride at night and did - then put them back on when I started doing more night time biking as the summertime temperatures increased.

Basically on a trail you'll look like a noob with reflectors, but on a road at night you'll look like a ghost without them. Even front and rear lights aren't 100% coverage in the dark unless the (rear) light shines quite brightly to the side.

Lights + Reflectors > Lights > Reflectors > Nothing

I think if I timed myself it would take about 90 seconds or less to take all reflectors (except pedals) off or put them on. If you are going out at night it's worth the time to do it. Might as well leave the pedal reflectors on, it won't make that much of a difference in how clean the bike looks and what you ate that day makes a bigger weight difference. Besides, any decent bike component has a branding on it which isn't clean looking either.

·
local trails rider
12,294 Posts
Dedicated trailbikes: none.

Commuter bike only has one on the seat post now. When the days get shorter, I will add more. And at least one light.

·
Five is right out
3,166 Posts
I have zero on my bikes. They're pretty useless under most night time conditions. On my commuter, I have 4 lights instead.

3M reflective tape is more useful than reflectors.

·
I live to bike
2,447 Posts
zero on my mountain bikes since there aren't any cars in the woods. A reflector on one wheel of my road bike (other one broke off); I put lights on it front and rear instead of reflectors if I'm going out at night. Almost full complement of reflectors on my beater commuting bike.

·
Registered
206 Posts
xocomaox said:
I have no need for reflectors or lights at night. I don't bike in the street like an IDIOT.
So you'd ride your bike on the sidewalk? If so then people walking on the sidewalk might be muttering things about you too.

If you instead mean that people shouldn't use bikes as transportation, you are entitled to travel any way you like but for many a bike is a good green way to do that for short trips.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.