Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
vegan cyclocross disco
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lets here some numbers people...
Living in Ohio, I think I can only get about 10-12 mt. races in per year without driving 3+ hours a lot. Last year I did 30 races: 17 cross, 3 mt. and 10 road.

Planning about 10-15 mtb, 15-20 cross and 6-15 road for this year. Wish I could do almost all mt and cross but there's just not enough mt. races in Ohio.

What about you? Are you limited by not enough races? to many? Whats your plan?

·
Pauly
87 Posts
I just made my schedule and it looks like 15 mtb and ...

That's 15 races from March 11th thru July 22nd - about 18 weeks. That seems like too much racing for such a short time span. Hmm Then about 3-months until cyclocross - about 8 races over approx. 10 weeks. Lots. I live in Atlanta and that's most of the regular off road racing that's available to our immediate area (driving less than 2 hours each way).

I'd like to have opinions from others. Is it too much? I'll be 45 yrs. old this year.

Pauly.

·
Registered
341 Posts
at the moment...

3 duathlons (running/mtb riding) staring 2/3/2007, 3 weeks apart.

Since I've never done these before and just started really riding again in the last 5-6 months, we'll see how they go and plan from there.

There are some other MTB events nearby, along with a summer triathlon that has kayaking instead of swimming Thinking about that one.

Hit the big FOUR-ZERO in August, so time to start getting busy to make sure the next ten years are the FABULOUS 40's and not the F'd UP 40's! :D

·
Not Smart Enough to Quit
644 Posts
Some guys can do fine with a schedule like that and even get super strong as they go. greytitus from the SORBA board for example if you know him. He is >50 and can FLY!

I did something similar to this last year with the GSC series & some SERC races thrown in. It was like 8 races in 11 weeks. I mostly got tired of traveling, not racing. Sometimes it's nice to be home all weekend.

This year I hope to do the Georgia series (8 races from March-July), 2 other XC races and a 6 hour in during that same time period. Then a 12 hour solo late September & 2 XC's in October. Finish the year with some CX an I'll be toasted. I also may toss in some road racing if my team mates insist.

So that's what, 14 races not counting any CX & road? Geez, don't let my wife see this!

·
Registered
858 Posts
I will be doing between eight and twelve races this season - all Marathon, three 12 Hours and one 24 hour. This is over the period of 10 Months though, starting early Feb, ending November. Australia has no season as such.

Might not look like many races- but loads of travel for me; some of the races are a three hour flight away; with only a select few in my home state. :thumbsup: Hoping to break into the top 20 in Elite this year too :)

·
Single Speed
117 Posts
Arkansas has 11 mtn races on the series this year April 14 - November 18. I plan to do 10 of those. There is a 3 race Arkansas Marathon Series (march-may), Ouachia Challenge is 60mi, Syllamo's Revenge is 60mi (I think) and a 6/12 hour race. Hotter n' Hell in August and my local MS150 in September. Maybe a couple of local road races. Not much cross around central AR that I know of.

·
mutaullyassuredsuffering
2,053 Posts
Lotsa racing

1) The Mountain States Cup has 13 races XC/STXC/HC that I'll be doing.
2) Boulder Short Track series has 7 races on Wednesday evenings.
3) Yeti Spring Series has 2 XC races in April
4) 24 Hours of Moab!

....looks like I'm over 20 races again this year.....

·
Registered
791 Posts
fatad said:
Arkansas has 11 mtn races on the series this year April 14 - November 18. I plan to do 10 of those. There is a 3 race Arkansas Marathon Series (march-may), Ouachia Challenge is 60mi, Syllamo's Revenge is 60mi (I think) and a 6/12 hour race. Hotter n' Hell in August and my local MS150 in September. Maybe a couple of local road races. Not much cross around central AR that I know of.
Do you know of any 4-6 hour races around there? Also, how about a website for your local series? XC or endurance.....I'm in Tx about 3 hours from Mena and some of the AR races are closer than the Tx races.

·
Registered
69 Posts
iamandy said:
Lets here some numbers people...
Living in Ohio, I think I can only get about 10-12 mt. races in per year without driving 3+ hours a lot. Last year I did 30 races: 17 cross, 3 mt. and 10 road.

Planning about 10-15 mtb, 15-20 cross and 6-15 road for this year. Wish I could do almost all mt and cross but there's just not enough mt. races in Ohio.

What about you? Are you limited by not enough races? to many? Whats your plan?
Hey! I'm in Ohio too. Cleveland, to be exact. Where are you?

So far, I have 8 national races on my calendar (including Sea Otter - stoked!). Of course, I will be filling up to about 15-20 with OMBC races, promotional races, etc.

·
vegan cyclocross disco
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
zhen said:
Hey! I'm in Ohio too. Cleveland, to be exact. Where are you?

So far, I have 8 national races on my calendar (including Sea Otter - stoked!). Of course, I will be filling up to about 15-20 with OMBC races, promotional races, etc.
Columbus. just a pack fill sport rider. stronger on the road, but enjoy mtb racing way more. Good luck at sea otter and all your travels. I'll keep an eye on your blog, good stuff. - Andy

·
vegan cyclocross disco
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
soulrida said:
Im planning on doing about 25 races, almost all just standard xc but I might do a few 6 and 12 hours. Oh and I might throw in a few local road crits. Should be a Rockin' Season!
Wow! Where do you live that you can do 25 xc races in a year? that's impressive, must be CA.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Wow! Where do you live that you can do 25 xc races in a year? that's impressive, must be CA.
Actually believe it or not I live right in northern virginia, only about 60 miles SW of Washington D.C. But we have quite a large cycling community here even though you would not think so. There is probably 15 xc races this year within one to two hours of my house.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I currently have 7 XC races and 1 road race planned, but as soon as the schedule is finalized by the promoter I'll have 14-15 XC races.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Texas

TMBRA (Texas Mountain Bike Racing Association)
has 8 races scheduled for the Spring 2007 series (start in mid February in Terlingua and end in late May at X Bar Ranch.) The Fall 2006 series had 5 races, with the first on Labor Day weekend and the last in early November.

http://www.tmbra.org/

·
Registered
116 Posts
I did about 40 races last year but only two mountain bike races :(

This year, I'm going to try and remedy that and split my time more evenly between road and mtb.

·
Registered
183 Posts
This will be my first full seasin on mtb riding, and racing, so I am hoping to get in at least 6 or so races, but more if everything goes well. I am very much looking forward to getting back on the bike after this past week of recovering from sugery. Jarrod

·
Registered
355 Posts
I'm thinking of cutting loose at a WVMBA race or two, maybe even a MASS roundy round, then there are a few local 50's (Michaux & State College) to tackle along with a six day event I'm attempting full fixed plus the 101 & the SMT hundo fixed again. Would like to sneak off to NC for some long race loving, haven't gotten full calander details sorted out yet though. Also toss in a few grass roots events and a handful of full day classiques to make it a memorable season. Should be fun. :D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.