Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 07 DHX and would like to experiment with the preload on my spring. I think Fox say not to use preload but surely some preload is safe? Just wondering if any knowledgable people know if its OK to use some preload on the spring and how many turns is too much?? and will it hurt the shock??
PS I understand all the spring binding issues.
Thanx for any help
CHUNKY:thumbsup:

·
Registered
9,520 Posts
CHUNKY NUGGET said:
I have a 07 DHX and would like to experiment with the preload on my spring. I think Fox say not to use preload but surely some preload is safe? Just wondering if any knowledgable people know if its OK to use some preload on the spring and how many turns is too much?? and will it hurt the shock??
PS I understand all the spring binding issues.
Thanx for any help
CHUNKY:thumbsup:
If you understand coil bind you should know how much preload can be done before you invite coil bind. Most spring manufactures list a max. recomended preload (turns). Preloading a coil puts more stress on the coil in use & @ rest. I prefer minimal preload and shell out $ for coils or go the free route , air (air shock) on my trail bike.

·
Just another FOC'er
2,222 Posts
A lot of preload also stresses the shock. The preload pulls the piston hard against the seal head causing hard top outs. Adding rebound can help this, but it's definitely not good to run the shock with a lot of spring preload.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeh i kinda get that your not spozed to use preload, thats what Fox say too. Some shocks dont seem to matter how much preload you chuck on em, so i thought maybe there is a safe limit for Fox.
My rebound is set pretty slow and the shock doesnt top out by any means, i imagine the pressure will be felt whilst im in the air(when the shock retracts) and when the bikes just sitting around?
Two preload turns seems like a minimal difference and really doesnt put much pressure on it, what you guys think about 4 turns in??

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why is it a bad idea? Tell me, thats what im asking. I have a Titanium spring on my shock, as you know ti springs have large spaces between each coil. Therefore i will have no binding issues, anyway 4 turns isnt very far on the shock.
By all means i wont do it if it turns out to be a bad idea:bluefrown:
I'd like to hear of issues that have happened from too much preload?
Has anyone actually had a shock fail from too much preload?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.